Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44321 07/22/12 12:32 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

A quick 4 minute Tour of the Moon

NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter LRO, shows us some stunning close-up pictures of both the front and the farside of the Moon.
It also shows us the Apollo 17 Lander complete with footsteps and tracks, left 40 years ago.

http://lunarscience.nasa.gov/articles/video-a-tour-of-the-moon/

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Superstar
Superstar
Mike, thanks for posting a great show. Now I wonder what the conspiracy theorists who insist we never went to the moon are going to make of the video of the lander and rover and tracks on the moon, right where they should be. I will watch with interest.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
If they can claim the original was a fake, surely they can claim that this is also a fake. In fact, with the progress in CGI it would be very much easier now than it was almost half a century ago.

There never was nothing.
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Mike, thanks for posting a great show. Now I wonder what the conspiracy theorists who insist we never went to the moon are going to make of the video of the lander and rover and tracks on the moon, right where they should be. I will watch with interest.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

There are very few disputers left today questioning whether the the Moon landings were fake.
I think those people who disputed the Moon landings 40 years ago because, their mindset was, that it was a physical impossibility to ever reach the moon, let alone place anything on its surface.
Also interesting is those same people, never queried or questioned the fact that two massive eight wheeled Russian
Lunahkods were trundling around the Moon back in 1970, sending back pictures.
Nobody ever said they were faked.
They rushed around the Moons surface at a breakneck speed covering some ten miles of distance, before they overheated and stopped.
Incidentally, when NASA's LRO found the Apollo 17,...It also found and photographed the Lunohkod 2, where it had stopped trying to dig itself out of a crater, 39 years previously.
Its Laser reflectors were so clean and in such good condition that NASA still uses them monthly to check the ever increasing distances in millimeters, as the Moon receeds from us.

Its the earlier Lunohkod I, laser reflectors that are being used by NASA..

http://www.gizmag.com/nasa-finds-lost-soviet-lunar-rover/15382/

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 07/23/12 04:03 AM. Reason: Last line correction

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Minor correction, that was around 1980. Of course I don't recall that here in the USA there was a whole lot said about them. After all they were Russian, not American.

They were still impressive. In fact I have a picture of one on my computer desktop.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #44343 07/23/12 06:43 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Bill

Minor correction, that was around 1980. Of course I don't recall that here in the USA there was a whole lot said about them. After all they were Russian, not American.

They were still impressive. In fact I have a picture of one on my computer desktop.

Bill Gill

Mike Kremer reply to Bill Gill.
I was working in the US and Canada from 1955 until 1975 (wonderful countries-both)
I think you are correct, very little if nothing, was ever mentioned in the US press about the Russian Lunahkov I Moon landing. I dont ever remember its mention in the press at that time. But it was in 1970.
But there was a huge technical and political competition in the Space Race ever since the Russians launched the first animal, the dog LAIKA into space to orbit the Earth hundreds of times.
That was back in 1957,....and it certainly did make the Americans sit up and take notice. My US employers at that time suggested to us/me that we should stock up on tinned food from the Supermarket, and store it in a garage or in our cars,
...ready to move out....should the 'beeps' increase or stop.
Yes there was quite a bit of paranoia going on for a few days,
over the orbit of Laika and what else the Russkies might send up to fly over the USA.
Once the American SurveyorI landed upon the moon in 1966, with
President J.F Kennedy blessing, things normalized somewhat.

Of course Surveyor I, back in 1966 was a fixture, having no movement, so it was no wonder the Lunahkod, the first remote controlled vehicle to land and move on another world was under reported by the Americans, four years later in 1970.
After Surveyor the World swiftly aknowledged that the US had caught up, surpassed, and won the Space Race.

One interesting fact I do remember at the time, was the Russian Embassy presenting one of LAIKA's puppys to Pres: John F Kennedy, who accepted the little mutt graciously. Hmmmm??

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Ok, I rechecked. You are correct, it was 1970. I'm not sure why I was so sure it was 1980. That is what I put on the fan I made up with a picture of the Lunokhod on it.

It was a pretty impressive performance though.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.