Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#44247 07/15/12 05:35 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
A favorite description of mankind is that we are dumb for letting the planet get into the condition it is in. I've been thinking about that and I'm not sure that dumb is a good description. The thing is that we are pretty smart to have been able to get the planet into this condition. And the reason we have gotten it into kind of a mess is that we just weren't evolved to live in large masses.

The huge number of people we have on the planet is the main reason that it has gotten a bit messed up. But the only reason that there are so many people is that we are so adaptable. Most life forms on Earth are adapted to a fairly specific environment. Most life forms have to rely on evolution to provide adaptations to meet changed conditions. We humans however can generally look at a different environment and almost on the spur of the moment produce cultural changes that allow us to live in those conditions. So we have been extremely successful at moving into all the habitats that used to be filled by other animals (or plants for that matter).

But at the same time we were adapted by evolution to live as hunter gatherers. Life was generally a feast or famine situation. Some years we would have good hunting/gathering, but some years we wouldn't. And there was no way to predict what would happen this year, as compared to last year. So we didn't really learn to think on a long term basis. We basically lived from year to year and didn't really have any thing to push us to think about the far future (like 2 or 3 years ahead).

Then came the growth of technology, particularly the industrial revolution. Since we hadn't been evolved to think about the far future, we just basically kept on the same way we started out. Work for something to keep us going through this year. We did start thinking farther ahead, maybe 5 or 10 years, or even to the time when we would be too old to work. But it was still a pretty short term thing. When we evolved what we did had a fairly small effect on the environment around us so we didn't realize that with the increased population we would start having a large effect on the environment.

Also it is hard to get people to see the long term effects of their actions, because in a hunter gatherer society I suspect that conservatism is a valuable thing. Fixing something when it ain't broke can lead to all kinds of troubles, so it works best if we keep on doing things the way we always did. There has always been a place for innovation, but it always had to battle against the ingrained conservatism. So evolution really hasn't adapted us to quick responses to things that don't have an immediately obvious result.

So the fact that we have lasted this long seems to say we are pretty smart, it's just that we have new challenges, and our innate conservatism is fighting to keep things the way they are. We can work things out and technology is what will get us through it.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
That is a very challenging post Bill. I have often felt that what you are saying is what is happening. Will we be able to ensure that our predicted population can continue to swarm over the planet as we threaten to do, without reaching a breaking point? Maybe we can, but as well as technology we are going to have to do something about our deeply held feelings of entitlement.

I think that until the citizens of first world countries realise they are not entitled to use 2/3 of the world's resources things will continue to look very bleak indeed. Similarly the rest of the world is naturally wanting all the things that the wealthy countries have. We have evolved 'entitled'. Our culture praises aspiration and greed, and more and more having it all is a substitute for contentment.

I do hope you are right. It really is time to start thinking differently. We have found out that growth cannot continue forever, despite what we were told.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

Quote:
The huge number of people we have on the planet is the main reason that it has gotten a bit messed up.

this is a huge planet !

there are only slightly below 7 billion people today.

if you were to place all of the 7 billion humans in a 1 meter square space , they would only occupy an area of 52 miles squared.

I would think that the main reason we have messed up the planet so much in such a short time is because we really are stupid people , we are stupid people because we are supid enough to rely on the stupid smart people for guidance , if we were smart people we would be powering almost everything using solar power and wind or other alternate energy sources that are highly available but are not affordable.

and if we would have taken that road decades ago the planet would not be in the shape its in today.

we had it , we didnt use it because it was priced out of range.

its still out of range for most people of the world.

so even though we have made many glorious progressions in technology and science and in almost all aspects of creature comfort.

YES , we really are that dumb.
or it would be better if we said that
those who could have been smart and chose to be stupid even though they were smart enough to know better are really that dumb.

in other words the people as a whole are not dumb , its the stupid smart people who really are that dumb.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Ellis

Quote:
I think that until the citizens of first world countries realise they are not entitled to use 2/3 of the world's resources things will continue to look very bleak indeed.

the citizens you call the first world cant afford to buy the
needed equipment to reduce their resource consumption , and
the overall cost seems to be increasing along with the overall reduction of income that would be used to buy that equipment with.

our stupid leaders have chosen to give our economic strength or power to the china vs where they live
by choosing free trade ( due to the love and worship they have for money )

so what was looking like a recovery from fossil fuel usage is
now more of a dependence on fossil fuel.

what was once shipped only a few hundred miles is now shipped several thousand miles from the china.

so how stupid is that?

its cheaper ( monetarily ) to use the slave labor in china
even if you have to ship every product half way around the world and that is why the worlds economic situation is in decline.

the U.S. had a civil war supposedly because of slavery.
does this mean that slavery is only slavery if it is occurring in the U.S.

and that all the first world countries now approve of the slavery in china and that is why they do business with china?

is the world trade organization a means of legalizing slavery
for the rich?

its really messed up and its a stupid situation we have gotten ourselves into.

do we need donald trump as president or even better the owners of international harvester , true faithful americans who will not budge on american values.

not this crap we have as leaders today.

I almost forgot to mention this ...

the U.S. has found a way to compete with the slave labor in china , we are now using our prison inmates to produce products.

which opens up a whole new can of crap.
( used to be can of worms , I just like to call crap crap)

so a prison inmate can now learn to build missles and all sorts of defense equipment along with furniture and who knows whats next.

this way when he gets out of prison he will have a trade.
problem is he will have to get another prison sentence in order to find work!!!

the company using the prison labor must pay the prison and the state where the prison is located in $0.12 an hour for the prisoners labor , much cheaper that the current
wages in china $0.30 an hour.

less jobs = more prisoners.
more prisoners = more money for the rich

I wonder how long it will be before the rich start having other rich people arrested so that they can exploit more slave labor.

did we really win WW2?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
this is a huge planet !

there are only slightly below 7 billion people today.

if you were to place all of the 7 billion humans in a 1 meter square space , they would only occupy an area of 52 miles squared.

You are right about the amount of space that would be required to contain the people of the Earth, but you are overlooking the amount of space that is required to support those people. When talking about predators one of the things that is important is the range of each one. For example several years ago I read a story about the Florida Panther which said that the range for a single specimen was about 250 square miles (about 650 square kilometers). I don't know what the equivalent "range" would be for humans, but I have no doubt that it is pretty large. Keep in mind that our "range" includes land to grow our food, land to collect water, and land to dispose of our refuse. And when we multiply that range by 7 billion it gets to be pretty large. And on top of that we need to allow room for all the other life forms on the planet, since it turns out that we may need them a lot more than we think we do. So our space requirements are indeed crowding the planet.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

on the following page the cultivated land areas are expressed in
km^2 ( square kilometers )
not kilometers squared
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_use_statistics_by_country
the above page list the cultivated area of the world as 11.61%
and the total area of the world is 149,000,000 km^2

1 km^2 = 247 acres

thats 36 billion acres of land

thats 5.25 acres of land for each human on the earth.

http://www.gardensofeden.org/04%20Crop%20Yield%20Verification.htm

on average 1 acre can produce 29.2 pounds of food per day every day throughout the year.

if everyone grew his/her own food in his / her 5.25 acres of the world he would need to eat or sell , 153.3 pounds of food each day.

if we average that out to cultivating the world average area of cultivated land then he / she would only need to cultivate
10% of his / her 5.25 acres of land.

he would still need to eat / sell 15.33 pounds of food each and every day !!!

the average american eats apx 5.4 pounds of food a day so
he still has to sell or export 9.93 pounds of food per day.

there is enough land to sustain the world's food needs as long as we dont mess it up like we have been doing.
using solar power and wind power we could easily cultivate the deserts and quadtruple the current food production.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Paul wrote:
"...the citizens you call the first world cant afford to buy the
needed equipment to reduce their resource consumption , ...."

Paul- Read what you wrote here--- maybe you didn't mean to say what it does!

Surely the answer is not to buy items to neutralise consumption--- just don't buy the stuff in the first place!

Actually one of my favourite quotes is that the entire population of the world living at the population density of Manhattan, could all live on the island of Tasmania! (And everyone on earth would be Australian!)

The fact is, that as Bill points out, survival and sustainability depends on much more than mere density.

Last edited by Ellis; 07/16/12 10:41 PM.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Paul, you might like to go back to subsistence farming. I wouldn't. I have no desire to start working from dawn to dusk plowing a few acres of land a day. Actually there has been a series running on PBS, "The Story of England". In that, if I recall correctly, the acre measure was the amount of land a man could plow in one day with an ox team. Anyway after plowing you have to plant, by hand, then keep the weeds out, by hand, and finally harvest, again by hand. If you don't want to do all of that by hand then you have to have modern technology, so you have to pull people off of their 5 acres and put them to work in factories and what have you. That means you are back to our present set up.

Yes there is plenty of land to feed the planet. Of course growing food on that land depends on modern technology. The greatest growth in food production came after we started developing modern technology. With modern technology we first started importing fertilizers so we could start replenishing worn out farm lands. Then we started making fertilizers. So our food production went up some more. Then we started breeding new varieties that produced more. Going back to everybody farming 5 acres would be a serious set back, and everybody would soon have more land than they could farm, as people died off because they couldn't access the modern technology we require to keep the population from having a drastic die off.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Free download.
http://backtoedenfilm.com/#movie

If'n yer not put off by his references to God as his inspiration, the simplicity of his approach is quite refreshing.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

We were talking about the amounts of land needed for growing food.

I wasnt sugesting that everyone should start farming on the 5 acres they dont even have.

it was just to show that there is plenty of land to farm on.

and it does show that!

when you wrote the following

Quote:
but you are overlooking the amount of space that is required to support those people.

I was just showing that there is plenty of land/space to support those people.

and I did show that.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
surely the answer is not to buy items to neutralise consumption-

solar pannels , Ellis.
reduce resource consumption using solar electricity and solar heat and geothermal heat/cooling and wind power.

these things are what the first world citizens cant afford.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
TT

I will have a look at the video tomorow it sounds like it might be interesting.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Paul, if you don't want to have people go back to an agrarian life style don't suggest that you do.

And don't forget that our present way of life is probably necessary before we can get to a fully sustainable life style (including reducing the world population). I believe you have a solar water heater which you built yourself. Keep in mind that a solar water heater is pretty high tech. I doubt if you could have built one 150 years ago. The heater requires pipes which require quite a bit of technology to produce. If they are metal you have to have advanced mining technology, refining technology and forming technology. If they are plastic they are made from petroleum, with all the advanced technology involved in that. All of these are very energy consuming. So in order to get to a solar economy we have to go through all of the stages we have been going through.

I just flat don't believe there is any way to get to the level you are talking about without going through our current level.

We aren't really all that dumb. We just need time to observe what is happening and figure out a way to change. And that involves continuing to use the energy we have available until we develop new energy sources. That doesn't mean we can just sit around and wait for things to fall in our lap, we do need to keep working on it. And we can keep on being as smart as we already are.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Actually one of my favourite quotes is that the entire population of the world living at the population density of Manhattan, could all live on the island of Tasmania! (And everyone on earth would be Australian!)

thats interesting , I think your right.

Quote:
The fact is, that as Bill points out, survival and sustainability depends on much more than mere density.

theres a lot of talk about massively reducing the worlds population due to resource depletion and the inability to provide food and water to the people of the world.

facts are that the reduction of the worlds population is to
guarantee that the rich and powerful will have enough resources to survive.

my concern is that these idiots listen to other idiots that
think we dont have the ability to feed and provide for the growing population.

the facts are that we have more than enough resources currently to build and install alternate energy systems that
can feed the growing population.

you see the reason they think we dont have enough resources is because they think tractors and factories can only operate on fossil fuels.

they think that way because thats the way they think the rich and powerful want them to think.

the facts are that what bill is talking about is what bill thinks , not the facts.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
I doubt if you could have built one 150 years ago. The heater requires pipes which require quite a bit of technology to produce.

150 years ago?
civil war years!!!

pipes date back much further than 150 yeas ago!

the romans used metal pipes.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/leadpoisoning.html

Quote:
Readily abundant, easily malleable, and with a low melting point (low enough, in fact, to melt in a camp fire), lead (plumbum) was ideal for the production of water pipes, which were fabricated by plumbarii (plumbers) from fitted rolled sheets in a variety of diameters (Vitruvius, VIII.6.1ff; Frontinus, XXXVIIff). Such pipes were used extensively by the Romans but also known to be a potential source of soluble lead. How then to reconcile the two realities?

and since they would be using the metal pipes for heating
purposes this lead pipe could be used today if desired.

you dont need a electric motor to circulate the water in the pipe system as the heat from the sun will cause the warm water to rise and circulate throughout the system.

Quote:
We aren't really all that dumb. We just need time to observe what is happening and figure out a way to change. And that involves continuing to use the energy we have available until we develop new energy sources. That doesn't mean we can just sit around and wait for things to fall in our lap, we do need to keep working on it. And we can keep on being as smart as we already are.

solar cells that produce electricity from sunshine have been around ever since the 1800's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_solar_cells

its already been over 124 years , are we really so dumb that it is going to take longer than 124 years to figure it out?

YES , we really are that dumb !!!

lets hope we dont continue to be as smart as we already are.

because when energy is concerned our smartness has suffered from stagnation on an almost unbelievable scale compared to
everything else we have gained smartness in.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
150 years ago?
civil war years!!!

pipes date back much further than 150 yeas ago!

the romans used metal pipes.

Could the average citizen go to the store and buy enough to build a solar water heater? 150 years ago the average person had to work full time just to keep a roof over his head, clothes on his back and food on the table. He/she didn't have a lot of spare money to buy non-essentials, such as solar heating supplies.

It has taken a lot of technology to get to the point where we can even think about changing our energy sources. And it has taken a lot of fossil fuels to provide the energy needed to create that technology.

We are pretty darned smart to have come up with the technology to get us where we are. And now we are smart enough to come up with the technology to get us through the bad patch we are going through.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Could the average citizen go to the store and buy enough to build a solar water heater?

when I built mine there were none in my area.
so the average citizen in my area didnt even know what one is.
so we shoulnt use average citizen, besides I think Im an above avgerage citizen.

Quote:
150 years ago the average person had to work full time ( but full time back then was apx 15 hours a day )just to keep a roof over his head, clothes on his back and food on the table. He/she didn't have a lot of spare money to buy non-essentials, such as solar heating supplies.

thats the way it is today.
believe it or not the solar collector I built cost alot because I used copper pipe and copper fittings.
back then ( a couple of years ago ) a 10 ft 1/2 inch copper pipe was apx $6.00 now that same pipe at the same store has more than doubled its price to over $14.00 each.

back then just the pipe and fittings were apx $125.00

so the average person will probably need to dish out well over a thousand dollars to buy one pre made.

150 years ago you could probably buy a 100 acre farm and a house and barn for $1000.00

this isnt 150 years ago , it is 2012 although I sometimes find it hard to believe.

like the copper pipe prices the solar pannel prices are out of
reach for the average citizen who cannot build his own system.

they are priced so high with installation that by comparison its cheaper to use the electric company.

Quote:
We are pretty darned smart to have come up with the technology to get us where we are. And now we are smart enough to come up with the technology to get us through the bad patch we are going through.

theres nothing wrong with wishful thinking Bill, or hope I just dont think we are smart enough to get through this without causing the suffering of millions if not billions of people world wide.

we live in a profit driven society that refuses to do the right things as long as profit would be lost in doing the right things.

the amount of faith that I have in todays leaders to do the right things is extremely low.

I dont expect todays leaders to do anything that they should
do.

so I dont expect that we will all of a sudden find some magical potion or spell to cast on our patch as you call it.

I prefer to call it a mire and were stuck in it.

up to our necks.

there is one good thing that came out of the copper price increases that I can think of.

I have found that you dont need pipes at all, they cost too much now anyway.

just using cheap wood and plastic sheeting and black paint can heat your house with solar heat.

in fact every window that faces the sun can become a solar air heater that will heat your house free of charge or at least lower your energy bill, Bill.

just by putting up black curtains...

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
150 years ago you could probably buy a 100 acre farm and a house and barn for $1000.00

And according to Answers.com the average income in 1860 was $600. If you are maintaining a family on that income you are not going to be buying a farm.

And all of this solar technology depends on the technology and energy sources that have been developed over the past 200 years. Without that development we wouldn't have the population we have and we wouldn't have the capability to develop new energy sources to replace our current energy sources.

And of course, as I stated previously, our biggest problems have been produced by the immense population that we have now. If we could reduce the population by 75% we would find that our problems would be cut back even more. However, we have to start from where we are, and cutting the population by just a few percent is a long term proposition.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
And of course, as I stated previously, our biggest problems have been produced by the immense population that we have now. If we could reduce the population by 75%

what was the Title of this thread anyway?

why not reduce the problems that the immense population used to create our problems?

why reduce the population , when the problems will still exist?

Quote:
cutting the population by just a few percent is a long term proposition.

long term?
we dont have long term time to fix our problems.

would you rather we just kill 75% of the worlds population
or
stop using 75% of our problem , which is fossil fuels.

do you think that a human produces more GW/toxic fumes than a gasoline engine?

if you do then do you think you would survive longer locked up
inside a air tight garage with a breathing human being
or a breathing gasoline engine.

they both breath in air and expel fumes.

what would be the point in reducing the population when the more intelligent thing to do would be to reduce fossil fuel usage?

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
do you think that a human produces more GW/toxic fumes than a gasoline engine?

Yes, because it is the human who is using the gasoline engine.
Fewer humans = fewer engines. Fewer engines = fewer fumes.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

so if a human uses a gasoline engine then his human body is producing more GW gasses and fumes than before he used the gasoline engine , the gasoline engine does not produce as much
GW gasses and fumes as the human body that is using the gasoline engine.

is that what your saying?

so we should kill 75% of the people because they use too many gasoline engines?

what if we just kill 75% of the gasoline engines?

would that be more intelligent , more humane , more smarter?

you wouldnt just happen to be a republican would you?

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
What is wrong with wood* heaters?--- While it is true that solar heaters are becoming cheaper and easier to acquire I remember a form of wood heater in my grandparents' home. The stove (solid fuel or wood), used by my grandma, along with the coal fires in the rest of the living rooms heated a water tank which pumped hot water for the bathroom and kitchen. Some people took it a step further and sent the hot water through radiators and so enjoyed a form of central heating. Sort of like the ancient romans really. I have no idea how the plumbing worked, but there was always hot water (and very simple tech paul).

Personally I think we will be worrying more about getting the clean potable water that we will need if the overcrowding that is forecast happens. There may not be enough available to heat after all!

*PS. In Australia we are convinced that wood burning is not detrimental to the environment. Something to do with captured carbon. I cannot wholly agree!

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Ellis

Quote:
PS. In Australia we are convinced that wood burning is not detrimental to the environment. Something to do with captured carbon. I cannot wholly agree!

there is nothing wrong with burning wood , it is a great way to
heat your home and your water and turn a steam powered generator to produce electricity if you have a boiler.

its true that burning wood releases CO2 but if allowed to rot
then the wood will release methane.

methane is 20 times more potent as a greenhouse gas.

http://www.epa.gov/methane/

we have a lot of landfills that capture methane from the rotting debri in the landfill , and the methane is burned in engines to produce electricity , this type of burning is safe and better for reversing the total of GW gasses in the atmosphere.

burning gasoline and oil on the other hand only adds CO2 to the atmosphere.

P.S.

about the wood heater your grandparents had , that is the type
of thing that you remember , I remember my mother telling me about how she would have to get up and go outside in the middle of the night during the winter to get another log for the pot belly stove they had.

I bet it really felt good laying down in a warm room as you went to sleep.

she said the cold would wake her up.

some people these days are using solar collectors to pre heat water that is fed into a steam powered generator boiler.

the sun raises the water temperature to apx 180 degrees then the boiler raises the water to boiling temperature.

much less wood is needed durring a sunny day.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Well, there have been a number of comments since I looked in last night. So:

Ellis: About wood heaters. That is a good idea in some ways, but there are drawbacks.

Originally Posted By: Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma’s forests can provide a sustainable harvest of firewood. Assuming that a homeowner is burning wood as a primary source of heat, about three and a half cords per year will be needed. Considering annual growth and annual consumption, homeowners who rely on wood as a primary source of heat will require about ten and a half acres to sustain their needs.

This is from a paper on the OSU web site. This seems to indicate that we would need over 10 acres of woodland to support one families heating needs. And that is in Eastern Oklahoma. In Western Oklahoma there are not nearly as many trees, you are getting into the plains out there. And of course that only applies to heating, not to cooling and other energy needs. And by the way there is also the problem of cutting all that wood. There is a lot of work involved in wood heating. My brother used to heat with wood. He burned the scraps from his wood shop, so he had a ready source of wood.

Of course wood is a renewable resource. In fact most of the paper we use that people decry so much is grown on tree farms. That means that we keep growing trees to replace the ones that are cut down. So the paper industry is kind of green. The down side is the amount of energy needed to turn trees into paper, and the horrible smell involved. Paper mills stink.

Paul: The use of a gasoline engine produces more pollutants than the person running it. But if the person wasn't there to run it the gasoline engine wouldn't produce any pollutants. And as far as cutting the population is concerned, I said that it is a long term project.

Bill Gill

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Getting back to my original thought when I started this thread.

We aren't really all that dumb. I don't see any way for us to have gotten where we are by being dumb.

Let's take a little look at the industrial revolution. The industrial revolution precipitated the growth in population that is a large part of the problems we are now having. So I want to take a quick look at that start.

A number of different technologies are credited with kicking off the industrial revolution, but it seems to me that the major enabling technology was the start of the modern iron and steel industry. Without large quantities of iron and steel the infrastructure that supported the other industries could not have been developed in nearly as large a way. Iron and steel enabled the building of the machines that led the way into the modern age.

The modern production of iron began in the late 18th century. One of the things that made it possible was the use of coal to run the furnaces required to refine the metal and make large quantities of good quality iron, and then steel.

I say that when this process first started the engineers and scientists had no way to understand just how much their work would wind up affecting the climate of the world. What they did was to observe how things worked and apply that knowledge to making iron and steel. Without that initial kick we would not be able to even start to think about how to replace coal and other fossil fuels with more sustainable energy sources.

So, no we aren't that dumb. When the industrial revolution started we didn't even know what kind of questions to ask about what the result of a dependence on fossil fuels would be.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
The use of a gasoline engine produces more pollutants than the person running it. But if the person wasn't there to run it the gasoline engine wouldn't produce any pollutants. And as far as cutting the population is concerned, I said that it is a long term project.

allow me to re-word the above you posted.

The use of a gasoline engine produces more pollutants than the person running it. But if the person wasn't there to run it the gasoline engine wouldn't produce any pollutants.
therefore in order to allow the person to reduce the amounts of pollutants he is producing by running a gasoline engine he could instead install a solar power system with a power equivalent to that of the gasoline engine to prevent him from causing pollutants.
this way he could be there and produce the equivalent power
of the gasoline engine without worrying about being euthanized.

And as far as cutting the population is concerned there would be no need to reduce the population , I said that it is a long term project but when you consider the amount of energy put into the production of a gasoline engine and the energy required to constantly provide the engine with gasoline fuel and oil from countries located thousands of miles away from the engine.
vs
the amounts of energy put into the production of an
solar powered system that has a power output equivalent to that of the gasoline engine that requires no further energy consumption through the transportation of energy sources such as gasoline from thousands of miles away to allow the solar power system to function because the solar power system gets its energy source from the sun , which is millions of miles away but is delivered freely by the sun.

its pretty clear that the overall amounts of resource consumption of the gasoline engine is severly higher than the overall amount of resource consumption of the solar power system that has the same power output.

therefore since both of these systems are currently available today any intentional population decreases are not necessary.

as people and industry can switch to solar power systems with ease.

if they could afford it.

when I look at a gasoline engine and compare it to a solar panel I cant see how the solar panel could possibly cost more than the gasoline engine.

so YES WE REALLY ARE THAT DUMB

I can actually provide proof that we really are that dumb.

ie...

for 3 trillion dollars every citizen (est at 300 million)in the United States could get a 10,000.00 solar power system for their home.

this would produce the following economical effects.

1) our economy would increase dramatically.
2) solar power businesses would pop up all over the U.S.
3) every citizen would have the money that they were paying out in electric bills to spend on products and produce and services.
4) all of this spending would cure the governments delima over paying their bills.

this would produce the following effects environmentally

1) citizens of the united states that drive cars or buy products sold in the U.S. produce 45% of the worlds CO2 emissions and with the extra money they have they could buy electric cars to plug into their solar power system this would dramatically reduce that amount of CO2 they produce by driving gasoline cars.

2) the heat and air conditioning systems in their homes would not produce any CO2 emmissions.

then they would not only have the extra money from their electric bill they would also have the money they spend on gasoline each week to fill up their cars and trucks.

which causes them to buy even more products in stores from american manufactures.

its a domino effect.

heres the proof...

we have altready given away 3 trillion dollars to failing buisnesses and as economic incentives but that only increased our debt.

it really did not solve any of our problems.

YES
WE
REALLY
ARE
THAT
DUMB

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
we put men on the moon.

that means that some of us did things that were pretty smart.

from what I can tell about our smartness is like we are in a boat in the middle of the pacific ocean , we have a set of oars and a plug that is currently plugging up a hole in the bottom of the boat.

our captain of the boat sees another boat that is sinking.
and orders the plug to be given to the other boat so that their boat can remain floating.

we can row to shore if we row fast enough he says to the people of the now sinking USS U.S.A.

we can row this boat really fast and according to the smart people I have hired as advisors we can make it.

a sailor ask him why he didnt just give the other boat an oar or even both oars so that they could row to shore instead of giving them the only thing that is keeping them afloat.

a sinking boat requires more energy to propel it forward as it gains mass in the form of water which is causing it to sink.

stroke , stroke , stroke ... yells the captain the sharks are following us.

this stands true for all nations who have decided to help other nations by employing their citizens as slaves.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ok Paul, you are right, we are that dumb. After all look at James Watt. He invented a steam engine but didn't stop to think that it would lead to an enormous increase in the use of fossil fuels, and that the increase would lead to global warming. He should of course have thought out all the consequences and gone to work on alternative energy sources instead.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

hero invented the first steam engine that was a reaction turbine.

Quote:
The history of the steam engine stretches back as far as the first century AD; the first recorded rudimentary steam engine being the aeolipile described by Greek mathematician Hero of Alexandria.

Im glad to see that you agree that we really are that dumb
and we really are that dumb.

we prove it every day we exist.

steam engines have been around apx 2000 years.
think of the advances that could have been seen if the steam engine would have been made solar powered , there were attempts at providing engines that do not need fuels to operate but these ideas were rugged due to the fact that they did not require any fuels to operate.

just like a modern steam turbine could easily run off of solar power using mirrors to reflect and concentrate the sunlight onto a heat exchanger to turn water into steam.

the stupid intelligent smart people always use the lame excuse that the sun does not always shine.

but they always seem to forget that while the sun is shining the steam power could store energy in some form for the times that the sun is not shinning.

so that if you require 1 meagwatt a day for your plant.
and the sun shines only 6 hours.
you would need to store 18 hours of energy.

if 1 unit will produce .25 megawatts in 6 hours of the 1 megawatt you require during a 24 hour period its obvious that you would need 4 units.

if the sun doesnt shine enough then you can use the electric companies electricity or install more units to provide backup energy when the sun does not shine.

or your grid could be connected to units in areas where the sun is shining and producing energy.

or you could just install a solar power system that will
produce 3 megawatts in 6 hours for instance.

the stupid intelligent smart people can always find some lame reason why they dont think solar power would work , but they
always seem to exclude ways around the times when the sun is not shining.

but we keep building more and more coal fired and gas turbines to power our amazing technology knowing full well that we are ruining the planet and our ability to survive.

therefore

YES WE REALLY ARE THAT DUMB.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
hero invented the first steam engine that was a reaction turbine.

I believe that I said "James Watt invented a steam engine", not "the steam engine". I think if you compare the advances accomplished with Hero's engine and the advances accomplished with Watt's engine that you will find that Hero's engine was a great novelty, but not very practical. Watt's engine drove the industrial revolution. That's a big difference. And the technology that enabled Watt's engine was not available to Hero. The ancient Greeks did not have the ability to make large quantities of the metals needed for such large projects as a railroad. The development of these technologies was vital to the industrial revolution.

Of course the inventors who developed these technologies just weren't thinking or they wouldn't have done it. They would have waited till there was a way to use renewable energy sources which were not available at that time. Of course I'm not sure how they would have developed the renewable energy sources without the technologies they did develop. Making all the devices you describe requires large quantities of materials that are just not available without the technologies that they did develop.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Since I am being nostalgic about my own family's experience with alternate energy I will point out that my auntie had gas lighting in her house well into the late 50s. (About the time the Beatle's emerged.) And when I came to Australia about 2/3 of Sydney was, to my horror, without sewerage! The so-called nightsoil was collected by the night man who accessed it by going down the little lanes at the back of the houses. I must stress this doesn't happen still!!!!

I think that we are not dumb so much as greedy. We have come so far in 50 years-- what will we have achieved in another 50 if we are encouraged to explore our planet and further.

The dumb thing we do now though is to disregard the need for scientific discovery/research that is not tied to a funded project. We are then discouraging the accidental discoveries, or the results of experiments like Hero's, completed for the delight of it and the pleasure of success. Here in Oz our science faculties are starved of funds and students, while the Law and Commerce depts are overflowing.

This IS dumb!

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ellis - A lot of our problem is something I mentioned in my first post.

We were not evolved to handle the world we are living in. It is amazing to me that we are handling it as well as we are. We evolved basically as hunter gatherers, such as the aborigines of Australia. This lifestyle calls for a large helping of conservatism. If you have a working hunter/gatherer lifestyle making changes just for the heck of it can wind up killing you. There is however an occasional need for innovation to take care of unexpected problems, so the ability to innovate hasn't been weeded out by evolution. The result is that we are slow to accept changes, even when they are needed. Eventually changes are adopted when it becomes obvious that they are necessary, and when the most conservative people have been replaced.

So in my opinion conservatism and a wait and see attitude have strong evolutionary value, but we need the innovators who will be ready to come up with new ideas to take care of new problems. This is what will get us through our current problems.

Evolution doesn't have an goals and aspirations, but I must say that luck really came out on our side when we evolved to be able to develop so far beyond the basic hunter/gatherer lifestyle that we inherited from our ancestors. After all when we were evolving there was absolutely no reason for us to be able to drive a car, but the abilities that did evolve wound up being just what we need to do it.

Of course innovation doesn't just come up when we are facing problems. Sometimes it is just there because somebody found a different way to do something. It may not be a better way, just different. And all the old folks will say that whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves, because the old way worked just fine.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

Quote:
So in my opinion conservatism and a wait and see attitude have strong evolutionary value, but we need the innovators who will be ready to come up with new ideas to take care of new problems. This is what will get us through our current problems.

we already have the cure for our problems , we dont have to
wait.

we just have to implement the cure.

for instance using coal as a energy source.
coal can produce hydrogen...(steam passing/cracking)

burning coal produces GW gasses.
steam cracking coal produces hydrogen.
burning hydrogen does not produce any harmful gasses.

steam can be produced using solar collectors.

1) the economic situation does not change : theres still money to be made from selling coal.

2) coal is a energy storage mechanism.

its things like this that can affect our situation positively
that we already have the capability of doing.

as I have said before in this forum , its not the energy that we use but the way we use that energy.

you say it takes time for us to "evolve" into using new technology , I say it is the profit margin that dictates our
"evolution" to new technology.

not time , reason , intelligence , etc...

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
for instance using coal as a energy source.
coal can produce hydrogen...(steam passing/cracking)

Paul, do you have a quick guesstimate of the costs and timeline to do this on a significant scale? That would include the engineering development, test system, and final large scale construction?

Bill Gill

Superstar
Superstar
Originally Posted By: Bill

Evolution doesn't have an goals and aspirations, but I must say that luck really came out on our side when we evolved to be able to develop so far beyond the basic hunter/gatherer lifestyle that we inherited from our ancestors. After all when we were evolving there was absolutely no reason for us to be able to drive a car, but the abilities that did evolve wound up being just what we need to do it.

Bill Gill

I think you have the cart before the horse. It is much more likely that the ability to drive a car is because the machine evolved around humans' natural innate abilities. Evolution makes us what we are; we design our machines to suit our abilities. We do not evolve our abilities to suit our machines.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
I think you have the cart before the horse. It is much more likely that the ability to drive a car is because the machine evolved around humans' natural innate abilities. Evolution makes us what we are; we design our machines to suit our abilities. We do not evolve our abilities to suit our machines.

I think that was what I was trying to say. We evolved capabilities that enabled us to develop things that we can use that have no equivalent in the 'natural' world. There is no precedent for this in any lifeforms other than our own. We evolved capabilities that enabled us to live more successfully than many other animals. Then it turned out that the adaptation to survive in the natural world enabled us to change the world so that we could survive even better.

The start of this of course came about 2.5 million years ago when one of our ancestors realized that he/she could make a sharp edge on a stone by chipping it just right. That was the first step toward driving a car, and there was absolutely nothing at the time that could have predicted a car.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

Quote:
quick guesstimate of the costs and timeline to do this on a significant scale? That would include the engineering development, test system, and final large scale construction?

cost : connected to timeline
engineering development : use current coal plants
test system : already tested process
final large scale construction : use current coal plants

there are alot of retired coal plants that could be refitted
and there are many scheduled retirements.

netl
http://www.netl.doe.gov/coal/refshelf/ncp.pdf

it would be a refitting of existing proven equipment on a large scale to current coal plants.

heres a summary of the manufacturing / cracking process and the by products produced.

http://www.sbioinformatics.com/design_thesis/Hydrogen/Hydrogen_Methods-2520of-2520Production..pdf

note: the temperatures needed for the processing of the feed material is really high!

this temperature is the major long term cost involved.
normally burning coal is how this temperature is reached.

but heat alone can release the gasses from the feed material.

natural gas , coal, etc...

this heat can come from solar collectors.

there would be no long term cost to provide the heat to raise the temperature of the feed material in the gasification process.

long term cost can easily out weigh initial cost when you use
coal as a feed material to produce the heat needed for the gassification process.

a average 250 MW coal fired power plant produces 1.7 million tons of CO2 per year.

with a new Coal fired power plant comming online every week in china that number is ever increasing , and according to the remainder of chinas citizens still not using electricity there is no forseeable reduction in new power plants in china.

china doesnt build 250 MW plants they build GW plants

take a good close look at the image below.
and think about the 1.7 Million Tons of CO2 produced by
only 250 MW coal fired power plants
165 GW is about right here in the chart below >>>>>>>>>>>______<<<<<<<<

and the chart only shows the U.S. and China

http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.or...al-plants-dead/

we cant say that the money isnt there and we cant say the technology or ability isnt there , we can only say that the
coal is there , so why not use the coal in a way that would not produce pollutions?

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ah, Paul, can you give me some numbers on that? I am having a problem trying to figure out how an existing coal fired plant could be easily retrofitted to produce hydrogen. Right now they are designed to burn coal to produce steam to turn turbines. It seems to be that there would have to be a massive reconfiguration to use one to produce hydrogen. In fact I doubt you could do it without completely rebuilding the plant. And then you want to build a solar energy gathering system on top of it. I think you are talking about a massive increase in the size of the plant, since it would take many acres of land to hold the solar concentrators.

Please do a cost study of this and get the numbers back to me. Remember, you are trying to sell a concept. To get it across you are going to have to provide a full package showing the design concepts with construction costs and long term maintenance.

Bill Gill

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

honestly bill , I dont have time to do all of that!

heres a web site that can put you in contact with an contracting engineer or consulting firm who
can answer the specific needs you requested.

http://www.thinkenergygroup.com/think.ns...l%20engineering

I can offer this for now however , the steam boilers that I have seen are over 300 ft tall at the top of the boiler.

when I say the steam boiler , I mean the building that houses the fire box at the bottom and the steam tubes located at the top of the boiler.

a boiler building can be seen in the below image , it is the
tall rectangular shaped building.

I cant see any problem in just simply routing the water from the inlet side of the boiler tubes up to the top of the boiler building where a solar concentrator / furnace could be placed.

the remainder of the buildings and infrastructure of the coal power facility could have the mirrors placed on top of them that direct sunlight to the solar furnace plates.

the below image is of a solar power plant that uses sunlight
to heat and boil water that turns a steam turbine.

its easy to tell the difference between the two types of power plants , one does not have any toxic fumes rising off of it
and the other does.

the amount of land that the coal plant occupies is very large
compared to the amount of land that the solar power plant occupies , but I dont know the wattage of the two plants the solar power plant may be only a few MW.

still the acreage that the pictured coal plant occupies would easily lend itself to solar furnace application.

I really like the way the sun beams reflect onto the solar furnace in the below image.

and the way the delicate particles of toxicity dangle in the skies above the coal plant in the below image.

the two images softly yet boldly telling us that we really are that dumb.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
But Paul, you are the one trying to sell the idea. I'm the one you are trying to sell it to. A salesman doesn't get very far if he tells the customer to go out and figure out how whatever he is selling is going to work. The salesman has to provide all the information that the customer needs.

Obviously you are better at coming up with off-the-wall ideas than at checking to see if they would really work.

So if anybody wants to discuss parts of my original post I will be happy to discuss those. I'm not interested in Paul's improbable suggestions.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

Quote:
But Paul, you are the one trying to sell the idea. I'm the one you are trying to sell it to

Im not trying to sell you anything.
Im just not interested enough to spend several days of my time
finding the needed facts to show you what you want to see.

but getting back to the original thread.

go ahead Bill, sell your hypothesis / idea / theory / or illusion that we are not dumb?

show me some proof of why you think we are not dumb.
from reading your original post I cant find anything
that proves we are not dumb.

humans have been around alot longer than the last few hundred years , but it only took a few decades for the new technology to get us into our current negative situation.

you say technology will bring us out of this situation.

prove it!

meanwhile I will be inserting some of the new technology that you say will save us from ourselves.

heres a nice bit about meat glue.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ok, then how about the fact that we are pretty smart.

In 1798 Thomas Malthus wrote the first part of his ground breaking theory "An Essay on the Principle of Population". In this work he pointed out that all species are limited in the growth of their population by the availability of food. No species can outgrow its food supply. The idea makes a great deal of sense and every since then people have been looking at our food supply and figuring out how large our population can grow before it crashes because of out inability to grow enough food. So far we have managed to keep ahead of the curve, even though the apparent limit has been reached many times. What has made the difference is that technology has kept us ahead of the curve and we can now grow tremendously larger quantities of food than at any time in the past.

This has led to a massive increase in the world population, which leads to most of the problems we are facing today. We are still ahead of the game but we still have a long way to go.

The current population of the world is around 7 billion people right now. It is growing at a rate of 1.2% per year. But this is much better than it has been in the past. In 1970 the population growth rate was 2.1%, so we have almost cut the growth rate in half in just 40 years.

It will be quite a while before we actually start reducing the population, but with the aid of technology we will be able to support ourselves until the population gets down to a more manageable level.

So we are being pretty smart, just to keep ahead of Malthus, and we are smart enough to work around the problems we have coming up.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

Quote:
This has led to a massive increase in the world population, which leads to most of the problems we are facing today

if you have a room with 1000 republicans and each of the republicans have a 1 ounce gold coin.
and each of the republicans have a pistol but no bullets.

would it be a wise thing to do if you were to put 1000 bullets into the room also?

how many living republicans would there be in the room after a few hours?

how many living republicans would there be if there were no gold coins to kill for?

how many living republicans would there be if there were no bullets to kill for?

how many living republicans would there be if there were no pistols to kill for?

Quote:
Technology has led to a massive increase in the world population, which has lead to most of the problems we are facing today

If you have a barn and you paint the barn red , would you accuse the paint on the barn of being red.

but not the paint on your paint brush or the paint in your
paint bucket.

in 1970 the worlds population was about 4 billion and asias population was about 1.6 billion.

then it started a upward swing -- almost straight up...

in 2005 asias population had increased to 4 billion...
by 2050 asias population is expected to be higher than the rest of the worlds population.

what could have supported this upward swing?
republicans , what significant change was there around 1970?

free trade?

north America , europe are the only continent's whos population growth hasnt increased significantly.

would anyone like to guess which continent has increased its population growth rate the most?

let me help ,which continent was given the ability to increase its population rate so dramatically?

how was it given that ability?

free trade!

our problems are not that we have too many people , its that we have too many greedy/dumb politicians.

we voted them in , that makes us dumb also.

and we will vote them in again to continue our dumbness.

free trade is not free by any means , it is bullets thrown into the room.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Paul I could hardly understand what anything you said had to do with whether we are smart. It mostly seems to be a diatribe against republicans. That is politics, not even NQS.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

you were trying to say that we are not dumb.
I am giving an example of how dumb we are.

voting for politicians who have a track record
of intentionally destroying the economy
is not very smart , free trade is a political subject
but the negative results of free trade are clearly seen in our
economy and most of the worlds economies.

this is an excellent example of how dumb we really are.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Paul, if you have some statement to make you might try just making the statement and then offering a brief example of what you mean. Going off on a diatribe against one group of people doesn't really provide a very good explanation of what you are trying to say.

And then I will reply to what you say you were trying to say.

You have provided an example of what you consider a dumb thing to do. Ok, I agree that it might be somewhat irrational, but it is also just a single thing that is going on. I never said that humans never did anything irrational. In fact I am kind of glad that we do something irrational once in a while. It provides a process to maybe come up with some new ideas that may prove to be very useful.

Ok, that was mostly kind of an aside. But back to whether we are dumb. I gave an example of the fact that we have managed, so far, to bypass the population collapse that Malthus' theory predicted. And then I pointed out that we are actually starting to get population under control. The growth rate has been almost halved in the past 40 years. We have a long way to go, but we are getting there. That is not a dumb thing, actually it is 2 things that aren't very dumb. We have managed to bypass Malthus, and we are starting to get the population under control. These are the big things. You look at the world and see some big things that you think we aren't doing anything about. But in fact there are a lot of people out there who are who are working to develop processes to overcome the problems we have. And as those various processes become workable they will be implemented. But the whole thing is a very complex problem which is not going to be solved by some simplistic solution.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
The growth rate has been almost halved in the past 40 years.

world population 1970 = 3.6 billion +
here is the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970#World_population

here is the CIA world factbook on world population broken down by country.
most of these are estimates from 2011.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html

and here is the estimate on current world population.
7 billion +

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

It would be nice if the world factbook had a chart that
generated from a database that clearly showed the population amounts by year and by country.

as it stands almost all of the charts I find on the internet are different from each other.

back to the reply.

the growth rate may have decreased but the growth has not.

as far as I can tell the growth as a percentage of world population ( 1950-2010 ) has decreased in all continents except
asia , india , africa

so you cant say that the worlds population growth rate has decreased you can only say that most of the worlds population growth rate has decreased.

otherwise you will overlook the countries that are undergoing a growth rate that will eventually undermine all attempts at reducing the growth rate.

maybe there should be two terms or categories used.

participating growth rate countries
and
non participating growth rate countries

because there is a clear difference in participating and non participating countries where growth rate is concerned.

looking at most charts is very deceiving especially when looking at a chart that shows percentages of world population.

as in the below chart

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Paul, population growth will continue for quite some time. I forget the exact estimates and I don't have time to look them up, but if we cut the birthrate to exactly the replacement rate (1 person born for each person who dies) then the population would still be growing for a long time in the future, just because the average age at death is getting later.

And I'm not really worried about where the growth is happening. The world population is the big problem. The fact that the population is growing more in some countries than in others is not a real problem in regard to the total impact we are having on the earth. That is primarily based on the number of people who are drawing their sustenance from the earth. Distribution is a whole different problem.

Personally I want all the people of Earth to have good living.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:

well, thats not happening Bill.

unless you consider working 15 hours a day, every day, every year, and sleeping in the factory you work in getting paid $0.30 an hour wages a good life.

that may be a good life for you because you can buy the products they make in those factories really cheap in the factory outlets in the U.S. , but for those slaves it is not
a good life.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul
Quote:

well, thats not happening Bill.

unless you consider working 15 hours a day, every day, every year, and sleeping in the factory you work in getting paid $0.30 an hour wages a good life.

that may be a good life for you because you can buy the products they make in those factories really cheap in the factory outlets in the U.S. , but for those slaves it is not
a good life.

While I really don't think that is strictly on topic for a science discussion I will make a sort of an answer. It is bad that they are being treated that way. But there is another side to that. They are earning a living. And they are developing greater expectations for the future. That is how we in the developed nations got to where we are. We started working in sweat shops, then started working to improve conditions. So while they are working under what we consider intolerable conditions they are also on the road to a modern way of life. This has happened in a number of places. After WWII Japan was disadvantaged. So they started making all kinds of cheap stuff. For years saying something was made in Japan was saying it was pretty much worthless. Then they started improving and their wages started going up. So the jobs moved on to Taiwan, and Korea, and Singapore, and the big one now China. This is a hard time for the Chinese workers but with the industrialization using cheap labor they are on the road to a highly improved lifestyle. That is how it has been working for at least a half a century now.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
While I really don't think that is strictly on topic for a science discussion

this isnt about science , it isnt a science topic , and it is
in the NQS (not quite science) forum.

Quote:
They are earning a living.

but the working conditions are so bad that many are committing
suicide! but on the bright side they will be replaced by robots.

so the rich demand lower and lower prices which results in
really bad labor conditions.
when they feel as if their appearance it getting tainted by
employees committing suicide they dont improve labor conditions they revert to robotics.

because robots dont commit suicide.

the good thing about this is that there will be less people
subjected to really bad labor practices and some people will
become robotics engineers and manufacturers etc...

so your right , technology has found a solution to this problem we have of greed.

perhaps boycott during their holidays to give them a chance to have a holiday would help the workers.

we would need to determine how long it takes after a sluggish buying period for the factories to begin shutting down and laying off their employees so that we can have a boycott period that will allow these workers to have a holiday.

if there is one thing a republican hates it is trade unions.
trade unions are the thing that put a stop to these kinds of working conditions in the U.S. perhaps either china needs to allow workers to form trade unions or the U.S. government and all governments of the world outside china need to make it illegal to import products made under these conditions.

but then again if the factories pay the employees to lie about the working conditions in china then you would never know what the conditions really are.

here is a in depth story of a worldwide distributor of slave made products.

Im sort of curious when walmart will start building their slave made product super centers with living facilities built into them so that their employees in
the U.S. will also be able to enjoy the benefits of living closer to work as their factory workers in china do.

this way walmart can charge the employees for living there
because the employees will not be able to afford the cost
of living off campus.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ok, Paul, if you want to talk about politics, and that is what you are talking about, not science.

I assume you want us to quite buying anything made in China. So then you want all those poor Chinese to lose their jobs. The Chinese economy will crash and they will be out on the streets. That will destabilize the Chinese government and make them rather poor neighbors. When a government is having major economic problems history tells us that one common solution is war.

But aside from the possibility of war you are advocating that we cause all those people to be thrown out on the streets where they can starve. In fact the Chinese economy is highly dependent on our continuing to buy from them, and I personally do not want to cause the mass starvation that might well occur if we do quit buying Chinese.

As it is history has shown us that the people working in those sweat shops will start working to force their employers to grant them better working conditions and wages. After all that is the way we did it here.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
There are some areas of China that are very poor indeed. The Eastern part is enjoying a huge lift in standards of living, especially Shanghai and Hong Kong, but Western China is economically and socially quite depressed. They are the areas that have the dirty heavy industries.

Also Chinese people cannot move easily between areas of their own country, and need permission to travel to the wealthy areas of Beijing for eg. Whilst things are improving throughout the country there's still a long way to go.

Of course if the economic situation improves for the huge number of people in the western half of China they will create a another huge dilemma as they will all want to have an easier life like the more fortunate people of THEIR OWN country.

If we stop buying things from China they could survive for a long time providing for the domestic market, as at the moment a great deal of their production is for export only. Here in Australia, where we are rapidly losing our manufacturers one by one, I doubt we'd last a month without the boats from China with their TV plasmas, cars, clothing and recently food!

I know this post is not about science--- but importing food especially shows just how dumb we can be--- so it is on topic!

Last edited by Ellis; 07/27/12 01:50 AM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Ellis
There are some areas of China that are very poor indeed. The Eastern part is enjoying a huge lift in standards of living, especially Shanghai and Hong Kong.

For One thing. Hong Kong and China are not the same country, regardless of whether Hong Kong Island is owned by China. They speak different dialects, China (mandarin) and HK (Cantonese), they have a different currency and a different government. Speak to any HK resident and they will tell you HK and China are different countries. They even have different passports. Those in HK that are poor have, and are still finding it difficult to get jobs and afford a decent living. The typical apartment for most is about 400 square ft. and usually the whole family including grandparents will live in such an apt. Apt. style living is the most prevalent in HK. Only the wealthy can afford to own a house.
Those of course who have enjoyed wealth, enjoy their wealth.
I travel to HK about once a year. The difference in Mainland Chineses and HK residents is quite visible. Those raised in HK have manners and a sense of awareness of each other even tho their living conditions are extremely crowded. Mainland Chinese visitors don't believe in waiting their turn in line and they throw weight about like they own the country.

I remember an interesting comment made by Jackie Chan, a well known actor and Chinese Communist. "The people of China are not capable of thinking for themselves. The Chinese Government must act on their behalf."

Just thought I'd throw two cents worth of information in. Since I can. whistle

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
"The people of China are not capable of thinking for themselves. The Chinese Government must act on their behalf."

As someone who travels to that part of the world; would you say that this statement is true; and if so, to what extent is the Chinese Government responsible for that situation?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:
"The people of China are not capable of thinking for themselves. The Chinese Government must act on their behalf."

As someone who travels to that part of the world; would you say that this statement is true; and if so, to what extent is the Chinese Government responsible for that situation?
I travel to HK not Mainland China. No human is without the capacity to think. Whether they use their mind constructively or intuitively may be questionable. Since you asked me, from what I have seen, those who come from Mainland China into HK are a bit disconnected from the world around them.
Government is not responsible for mindlessness. People who influence policy within government are responsible. All you need is to distract them from reality and keep them entertained.
I think it was a European who once said, "The United States is the most entertained country in the world."

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
When a government is having major economic problems history tells us that one common solution is war.

that also applies to the world Bill.

how many countries are having economic problems?

and why?

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
you are advocating that we cause all those people to be thrown out on the streets where they can starve. In fact the Chinese economy is highly dependent on our continuing to buy from them,

it would be the best thing that could happen for the chinese people / workers.

suddenly the factories would increase the wages of the workers so that the workers could afford to buy the products that they make for the world that is no longer buying the products.

and buisnessmen throughout the world would begin to build factories in their own country to produce products to sell to their peoples
who work at those factories in their own country.

Im not sure why china hasnt figured that out yet , after all they have
the greatest potential for a stable economy because of the manpower
they now have and the industrial infrastructure they now have.

in fact china would most likely be better off than all other countries
who have chosen to use the low wages in asia and have caused the industrial infrastructure in their own country to decline or dissapear.

because china and asia already have the industrial infrastructure in place.

they could still export just like all countries could export only
there would have to be trade tarrifs placed on imported product prices to ensure that what is happening now does not happen again due to greeddy rich people demanding lower and lower prices so that they can make more and more money no matter what the working conditions are.

you cant have all the people in the world woking in a single
country and expect the world to remain stable.

our current path will lead to world war.

as you say , history shows us that.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I just noticed something in the santas workshop video above.

the film says that the average worker who works slow
will earn 300 yuan a month --- I thought it was 300 yuan a week.

300 yuan a month = 11.75 dollars a week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11.75 dollars a freakin week.

working 18 hours a day , yes 18 , thats 7 days a week mind you.

126 hours a week.

their hourly wage is 9 frickin cents a hour.

if thats not legalized slavery then what is?

people should be ashamed of having a store in their community that sells products made by these factories.

and people should be ashamed every time they walk into one of those stores and purchase anything.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
"Mainland Chinese visitors don't believe in waiting their turn inand they throw weight about like they own the country." TT wrote.

Actually TT they do own it. The Brits leased it for 99 years and when that expired it reverted to its original owners-- The Chinese. It's like renting a house for a year. You have to give it back after the lease expires. No matter how much you like it or how much you may have improved it you do not own it. HK is actually very important to the Chinese government as it forms an acceptable face to the rest of the world who are wary of the original government, and also helps them to understand the methods of finance etc in the western world as much of the HK population are familiar with it.

Possibly the people of HK regret, even resent, this, and they certainly have different conditions (somewhat like Tibet), but they are now part of China.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"Mainland Chinese visitors don't believe in waiting their turn inand they throw weight about like they own the country." TT wrote.

Actually TT they do own it.

Yes, I mentioned that in my reply.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Actually TT you didn't--- you said "whether" the chinese own HK. That implies an argument over ownership. There isn't one. HK is part of China.

Many countries have areas where the inhabitants speak a different language, not just a different form of the same one. Think of India, Belgium, Switzerland, the UK---and so on, and there are plenty of countries where one part is much more 'couth' than other parts!

What will influence us all, and which you have not addressed, is the effect of the millions and millions of Chinese who still live at sub-standard levels becoming eager consumers. I think this would cushion China from some of the effects of a world wide recession (which has not happened yet. Some countries are, for various reasons, still OK.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
in one of the videos a person from mainland china was
deported to hong kong , so that says something.

yes , Ellis

your right if china were to build their own economy that is
not so dependent on exports it would certainly help them
to avoid being so attached to the rest of the worlds various economies.

I think that china could even build a stronger economy by
demanding that it maintains a export deficit.

this would encourage chinese employers to increase labor prices so that the employees could buy things from the diverse countries of the world that would then be repairing or refitting their export capabilities.

( chinas export on machinery should not be included in the export deficit as to allow the world to rebuild and repair )

all in all , the bottom line is that china and asia and india
cannot expect to carry the rest of the world forever they must compromise.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Actually TT you didn't--- you said "whether" the chinese own HK. That implies an argument over ownership. There isn't one. HK is part of China.
What I wrote:
Quote:

Hong Kong and China are not the same country, regardless of whether Hong Kong Island is owned by China.

This implies the reasoning of both China and HK as having distinguished themselves separately by government, language, history, social mores and influence. Regardless of whether China owns HK. There was no argument implied as to ownership of the Island by Mainland China. Talk to any HK resident and they will distinguish themselves as separate from Mainland China and its communism. Most will say they will never accept communist rule, and I doubt seriously China will send their army to HK to enforce communism as the rule.

Many countries have areas where the inhabitants speak a different language, not just a different form of the same one. Think of India, Belgium, Switzerland, the UK---and so on, and there are plenty of countries where one part is much more 'couth' than other parts!
I will not argue that fact. However my experience in HK will still not accept your implied idea that HK and China are one in the same country. HK residents are not allowed in Mainland China without passing inspection and receiving a passport approved visa. In other words there is a border between the two that no Chinese or HK resident can cross without inspection and approval in either direction.

What will influence us all, and which you have not addressed, is the effect of the millions and millions of Chinese who still live at sub-standard levels becoming eager consumers. I think this would cushion China from some of the effects of a world wide recession (which has not happened yet. Some countries are, for various reasons, still OK.
Excuse me? What affects us all is the push to bring industrialization and economic pressure on civilizations that were self sustaining until the Government took their land from them and their farming lifestyle because they thought it convenient to build factories and employ the farmers in their factories.
Eager to become consumers? What are you nuts?
Eager to become brainwashed and sucked into consumerism by materialists who wish to change the lifestyles of independent poeples so they become dependent on manufactured goods and corporate farming?

You really live a sheltered life. Where do you get all of your information? Television and Newspapers? Yahoo?

What about all of the displaced and impoverished consumers who were the factory workers of the USA, and who lost their jobs because corporations decided to move their factories to Mainland China to avoid taxes that paid for systems to prevent pollution and toxic wastes being spewed about in the U.S.? China has less of a concern for the waste products dumped in the rivers where the factories were built as well as the clouds of toxins spewed into the air. China as a government has no love for the world outside of China, and no love for its own people. It is bought and paid for like most of the worlds Governments.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
Eager to become consumers? What are you nuts?
Eager to become brainwashed and sucked into consumerism by materialists who wish to change the lifestyles of independent poeples so they become dependent on manufactured goods and corporate farming?

Yes they are eager for all of those things. You don't seem to have noticed that being a farmer is a dawn to dusk activity, particularly if you don't have a lot of technology behind you. The invention of power farming equipment was a major driver in industrializing the industrial world. Now most people work only a part of each day, and have days off at the weekend. This allows them to develop other areas of interest, including discussion of science. If you are a basic farmer you have no time to do anything but farm. And of course in China there has long been a population problem. Without technological means of food distribution much of the population would be starving at least part of the time. I haven't studied how the population of China is spread out, but I bet that there really isn't room for their population to live on the land. So having jobs is the biggest thing in their lives. As I have said before, all the developing nation went through this phase. With our example, even handed down through other cultures, they will hopefully work through it much more quickly than we did.

Kicking people out to live on the land is what Pol Pot tried in Cambodia. When he became leader of Cambodia he forced almost everybody out of the cities to live a farm life. He wound up killing a huge lot of the population, because it just doesn't work. You can have a small scattered population living off of the land, or you can have an industrial society that can provide the resources to help the people to actually live a fulfilling life.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Yes they are eager for all of those things. You don't seem to have noticed that being a farmer is a dawn to dusk activity, particularly if you don't have a lot of technology behind you.
It was for most a family tradition where all of the family was involved.
The invention of power farming equipment was a major driver in industrializing the industrial world.
Industrialism has had its advantages and it's disadvantages.
Now most people work only a part of each day, and have days off at the weekend.
And those that work part of the day don't necessarily have much of a life. They try to make one on weekends when they are not feeling like a cog in the wheel of the workday in an amongst the other industrialized consumers hoping they won't get laid off and lose their pension.
I used to work for Boeing Aircraft Corp. In Seattle Washington U.S.A. The average life expectancy of the factory worker after retirement was 5 years. Some I knew never made it that long.
This allows them to develop other areas of interest, including discussion of science.
Assuming they haven't lost their soul to the undustrial revolution and have had an education and social support system that isn't qualifying and measuring the individual as a success or failure in the system or as a human being.
If you are a basic farmer you have no time to do anything but farm.

You know this having been a farmer?
And of course in China there has long been a population problem.

Guess they had some time on their hands other than just farming to make that happen.
Without technological means of food distribution much of the population would be starving at least part of the time.

Now with the technical superiority of the new age most of the population of every country is starving all of the time.
I haven't studied how the population of China is spread out, but I bet that there really isn't room for their population to live on the land.
Government owns most of it. They even decided to take some of it away from those who used to own it.
So having jobs is the biggest thing in their lives.

Survival would be important, and since they can't fend for themselves what are you gonna do but work for someone else?
As I have said before, all the developing nation went through this phase. With our example, even handed down through other cultures, they will hopefully work through it much more quickly than we did.

Probably not though. With all of the human rights complaints coming into public view. It's not likely that they are going to improve upon the failures of other countries, but instead perpetuate the same policies that separated the rich from the poor so that the few could rule the many.

Kicking people out to live on the land is what Pol Pot tried in Cambodia. When he became leader of Cambodia he forced almost everybody out of the cities to live a farm life. He wound up killing a huge lot of the population, because it just doesn't work. You can have a small scattered population living off of the land, or you can have an industrial society that can provide the resources to help the people to actually live a fulfilling life.

Just goes to show you that when people are not free, they suffer the atrocities put upon them by those that control them and take away their sense of creativity. Maybe this time communism will really work... crazy

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
TT- Your picture of historical rural China is quite farcical. The owners of the land were not the farmers, the farmers were serfs, peasants or even slaves and were legally bound to work long hard lives for their exploitative landlords from the ruling classes. That was why the Chinese Revolution was so well supported by the peasant class in China. Of course it all went a bit pear-shaped but the collective farms actually gave more control to the peasants farming them than the previous wealthy landlords ever did, and certainly women were able to enjoy more freedom. Don't forget there are still some women still alive today with the dreadful maimed bound feet left from the customs of before the revolution.

Now most of Eastern China is relatively prosperous, but Western China, which has some areas of racial minorities is not. As in HK these people from Western China have to have permission and 'papers' (internal passports) to travel elsewhere in the country, particularly to the cities of Eastern China. It is not a paradise, but as Bill says now the peasants have jobs and some degree of independence as to their future.

China has a complicated history to western eyes, and we feel it is taking a long time to decide on their future--- but think how long it took us in the west--- Hundreds and hundreds of years. This phase of Chinese development is only decades old and at the moment they are probably doing better than most of their critics.

Last edited by Ellis; 07/30/12 06:06 AM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
TT- Your picture of historical rural China is quite farcical.

You and I may be speaking of different histories, or different generations. I was speaking of families that I know that have ties to Mainland China and the last century.
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/mar/07/world/fg-land7
http://www.china.org.cn/english/2006/Jul/175674.htm
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/03/us-china-urbanisation-protest-idUSTRE6721DW20100803
The governments decisions to take the land for either public or industrial use has compromised both the independent farmer and the countries ability to feed itself regardless of the industrial revolution.
About 35 percent of China's labor force is in agriculture (compared to 2.5 percent in the U.S.). There are 425 million agricultural workers (200 million farming households) in China. A little over a decade ago China was home to 700 million farmers. They made up about 60 percent of the population.
"Farmers find it hard to survive in an industrialized society. Farmers want to work in the factories, but transition is difficult and few of them adjust. They have no skills. They lack education. They lack the attitude one needs to learn. They have no sense of time, of living by the clock." The small-scale farmer is largely seen as a dying breed in China, made up mostly of the elderly left behind in the mass exodus of migrant workers to much higher-paying jobs in industrial cities.
Improved farming policies and technologies have given China a high level of self-sufficiency and growth. But the country's top economic planning body warned that this would be hard to maintain. The lack of farm subsidies and expropriation of farmland for urban construction has crippled agriculture. As more farmers move to the cities, lured by better housing, education and other incentives, maintaining the food supply becomes more tenuous.

The owners of the land were not the farmers, the farmers were serfs, peasants or even slaves and were legally bound to work long hard lives for their exploitative landlords from the ruling classes.

Obviously a different generation..possibly a different century altogether.
It is not a paradise, but as Bill says now the peasants have jobs and some degree of independence as to their future.
Independence from their previous lifestyles, with no compensation for their losses in education and training to enter the new and completely different lifestyle.

China has a complicated history to western eyes, and we feel it is taking a long time to decide on their future--- but think how long it took us in the west--- Hundreds and hundreds of years. This phase of Chinese development is only decades old and at the moment they are probably doing better than most of their critics.
Your gonna have to make up your mind as to whether we are speaking of decades or centuries in your descriptions of serfdom and slavery.
Slavery was legally abolished in 1909.(not saying it wasn't and isn't still a part of the current government)

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Tutor, you are still talking about the same things that we went through in the Western world. We got through them and now people have greater dignity than at any time in the previous history of humanity.

The Chinese are still working through this stage. It is undoubtedly bad, but I think that we are better off than when we were subsistence farmers, and the Chinese will be too.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Tutor, you are still talking about the same things that we went through in the Western world. We got through them and now people have greater dignity than at any time in the previous history of humanity.

Really? Not sure which part of the western world you live in. The U.S. has outsourced most all of its manufacturing jobs to help other countries become consumers at the cost of the American Dream as it used to be. No longer is it likely a U.S. citizen will retire from a long term employer employee relationship. The middle class is on its way out and turning into a memory of what dignity was for most Americans who could work one job and support their family. Now a good number of people have to work more than one job to make ends meet and unemployment is higher than it has ever been since the depression era of the 1930's.

The Chinese are still working through this stage. It is undoubtedly bad, but I think that we are better off than when we were subsistence farmers, and the Chinese will be too.
Bill Gill
We are technologically more advanced, but in just about every way as humans with the capability for compassion and unity still thinking at the level of those who created witch hunts and holy wars.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
Really? Not sure which part of the western world you live in. The U.S. has outsourced most all of its manufacturing jobs to help other countries become consumers at the cost of the American Dream as it used to be. No longer is it likely a U.S. citizen will retire from a long term employer employee relationship. The middle class is on its way out and turning into a memory of what dignity was for most Americans who could work one job and support their family. Now a good number of people have to work more than one job to make ends meet and unemployment is higher than it has ever been since the depression era of the 1930's.

Tutor - Starting with the industrial revolution (around 1750?) factory workers in the West were treated pretty much the same as Chinese workers are today. At first they pretty much had to put up with it, but then they started getting organized and working with a lot of people who had money and realized that the treatment of workers was atrocious. This gradually led to improved working conditions, although it took a long time. I know in the coal mines there were still a great many abuses well up into the 20th Century. Workers who were injured on the job had no safety net to fall back on. If they couldn't work they had no income. Industrial safety was practically non-existent. Witness the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in New York City in 1911. 146 workers, mostly female, died in the fire caused by a total lack of any safety precautions. Many times when workers tried to strike to get better treatment the government sent in troops to break the strike. Eventually it was recognized that things had to get better and they slowly improved. That is the state of things in China today. With time they will probably also start improving conditions.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
You mean when they start creating unions to protect workers and ensure decent wages? Then they'll find themselves gaining the same momentum towards wage increases forcing the industry to outsource and send their jobs to the West where the current employment situation is so desperate they'll work for food.

OH WAIT!!!! The idea of a union in a communist country is a non sequitur... blush

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Bill

Quote:

china has a government that doesnt allow their people to
get through things.

in china if you try to get a union started you get arrested.

in the U.S. you just get fired and added to the terrorist list.

theres a really big difference between what the U.S. went through and what china is going through.

if people that have money in china try to help the workers gain dignity or higher wages then they get arrested also.

its a fear thing like hitler or the bush admin tried to impose with their fear tactics after 911.

in my opinion the only people that really have any influence on chinese labor conditions is the people that buy chinese products.

we in he U.S. could demand from our democratic government that the communist chinese products be labeled with an indicator of the factories labor conditions , and non scheduled non chinese inspections could be carried out at the factories to determine the conditions and if the product is worthy of the label.

also in my opinion the people in china have the military in china outnumbered 1.3 billion to 4.5 million or something like that.

1300 to 4.5

think about it.

about 800,000 of that number is reserves.

however if another revolution were to occur in china because
of unrest then the military would most likely turn.

and leaders would be exchanged , and china would most likely become a democratic nation that allowed its peoples freedom.

that is how we did it , Bill.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
But, TT, suppose the voters chose, by properly supervised voting, to return to communism. Perhaps democracy has to evolve slowly as it did in the western Europe (Magna Carta was signed in the C12th), rather than be forced onto people almost overnight by others. It also requires expertise not necessarily there in other methods of government. An example of this is the concept of an opposition, which may , peacefully assume government as a result of election. This is an idea that has not caught on very clearly in many countries!!

The Chinese have already had their Revolution, and a massive one it was, in which the peasants deposed their overlords. They then had Mao's Great Leap Forward-- a more 'peaceful' affair, but to our western eyes still horrific. It, and history generally, are still definitely not ignored by modern China. Your last sentence, TT, suggests that your understanding of chinese history is quite unique, in fact as unique as their country is.

Last edited by Ellis; 08/01/12 01:55 AM.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ellis probably knows more about Chinese history than I do, but I have done some reading on the subject. The Chinese have had a civilization for around 3000 years. During that time they have had many dynasties. Generally a dynasty arises at the end of a period of turmoil. The dynasty imposes order and things go along pretty good for a while. After a dynasty has been running along nicely for a while the peasants start getting unhappy because their end of the stick is getting even shorter. Then there will be a peasant revolt, followed by another period of turmoil until a new dynasty takes over. Then things will get good again. Well, at least the lives of the peasants won't be totally hopeless. All through Chinese history the government has been balanced on the backs of the peasants. Historically the last dynasty was ended early in the 20th Century. This was followed by a government that was unable to stabilize the country. During that time large parts of the country were controlled by local war lords. After WWII the communists pushed across the country and chased the Chiang Kai-shek government off of the mainland and took over the country. In many ways this seems to me to count as a sort of a dynasty. So we may start seeing a wave of peasant unrest in the not too distant future, and then a new dynasty. I'm not prepared to guess what that dynasty will look like, but there will probably be big changes.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
But, TT, suppose the voters chose, by properly supervised voting, to return to communism.

Which time frame are we speaking of now? Return to communism from....?

Perhaps democracy has to evolve slowly as it did in the western Europe (Magna Carta was signed in the C12th), rather than be forced onto people almost overnight by others. It also requires expertise not necessarily there in other methods of government. An example of this is the concept of an opposition, which may , peacefully assume government as a result of election. This is an idea that has not caught on very clearly in many countries!!

Humanity would need to evolve first.

The Chinese have already had their Revolution, and a massive one it was, in which the peasants deposed their overlords. They then had Mao's Great Leap Forward-- a more 'peaceful' affair, but to our western eyes still horrific. It, and history generally, are still definitely not ignored by modern China.
Had their revolution? Are you suggesting since they had one that's it?
Universe rules no more than one?
History is often painted by the authority, so who knows what history is favored in China, and which history is favored in Western societies and whether they are the same.
Your last sentence, TT, suggests that your understanding of chinese history is quite unique, in fact as unique as their country is.
I suppose unique is a step up from farcical.
However I doubt that you and I have the same take on my last sentence.

There are all kinds of revolutions.. Industrial, spiritual, democratic, Communistic, maybe even humanitarian...

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bill- That's a fair description of China, in that various dynasties ruled in succession, some lasting many hundreds of years, but they were not revolutions as such. That is they were wars of powerful overlords seeking to depose the ruler, who often had grown complacent and greedy. (Something like King John and the Magna Carta, which was initiated by the barons and earls not the commoners, but it did establish a change of government in the Magna Carta, that included the representation of ordinary people in a governing body ). Their victory did not change the lot of the peasants much though, that came later.

Yes TT- Usually there is one definitive movement of revolution in a country , which deposes the ruling class -sometimes obliterating them completely, and removing their power for all time. The victors in this case assume the power, and since they are not of the ruling class, they usually, as part of their revolution, ensure that rules are put in place for the future governance of the country along their own ideals.

Further wars may happen, but they are not revolutions, they are Civil Wars or armed skirmishes, terrorism or fighting caused by insurgents. These are not a revolutions. A revolution has to imply a complete change of the system of government, and the installation of this by the winners themselves. Revolution will fail if it is imposed from outside, on conquered people by the conquerer. Then it is just regime change, and is usually weak as the people involved have no real interest in its success other than their personal gain.

China's revolution took place just before World War 2, led by Mao Zedong . It included a moment of extreme inspirational importance to the Chinese people, The Long March, and caused a complete change in China, as it was supported by the serfs and peasants as well as many of the intellectuals of the time. The Great Leap Forward was not a revolution.

* Just a personal note here. I used to be an English/History teacher and taught a subject called 'Revolutions in History '. We could choose from four revolutions- the American, the French, the Russian and the Chinese. I always did the first 3, the Chinese one is very complicated! I enjoyed teaching the subject though- we explored the reasons for revolution etc. plus the outcome, and it is a fascinating topic.

Last edited by Ellis; 08/02/12 02:26 AM.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
These are not a revolutions. A revolution has to imply a complete change of the system of government, and the installation of this by the winners themselves.

In some ways that isn't quite what happened in the American revolution. Now what I have to say here is based in large part on "The Western Tradition" video series on the history of Western Civilization. It is a college level history course on film. Eugen Weber, the lecturer points out that most of the revolutions we hear of, such as the French Revolution do indeed overthrow the existing structure and try to replace it with something completely different. However, in Britain's American colonies it worked a bit differently. For most of the 16th and 17th Centuries the British weren't really make much money out of the American Colonies, and they kind of let them run open loop. So the colonies had gotten into the habit of mostly governing themselves. Then Britain decided to tighten up their control of the colonies and start making more money out of them. That was when things went to pot. The Colonists wanted to keep on doing things the way they had been and Britain wanted to start telling them what to do. That led to our Revolutionary War, and independence. But what the revolutionaries were trying to do was to keep things they way they "always had been". Then when the war was over and we were independent we actually based our government on the basics of English law, without the king. So we didn't really have a complete overthrow with a new system. It was just a modification of the British system.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bill- I respect your interpretation of the history of the American Revolution, however in fact the result was as I said. At the start the head of state of the American colonies was the King of England and governmental power at a fundamental level devolved to Britain. Don't forget there was no American constitution until after the war.Also after the war the whole system of government was to put the power in the hands of the elected representatives, even the head of state was elected by the voters. So the result of this war was a complete change of the power structure.

An interesting result of the American revolution was that Britain was no longer able to ship out their spare convicts to the American colonies (though this trade had declined it was still active). Luckily soon after, a British lieutenant discovered a so-called empty continent in the southern hemisphere, thus enabling the Brits to dump their convicts there instead-- (and haven't we both done well!)

A less happy result meant that the plantation owners in the southern states and the islands of the West Indies were so bereft of cheap ( free) labour when the British supply dwindled to a halt that they started shipping in captured Africans and thus started/expanded the slave trade. (A somewhat simplified version, I admit, but basically it is what happened.)

Perhaps everything has unintended consequences, and we can see that in History--- a study which is rapidly becoming untaught here in our schools and universities. (That was a political statement!)

Last edited by Ellis; 08/02/12 10:14 PM. Reason: demoting Captain Cook.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ellis, you have some points, but keep in mind that while we changed the way our new government was structured it came pretty close to mirroring the British governmental structure. Britain had a hereditary King (or Queen), the US had an elected President. Britain had a hereditary House of Lords, the US had an appointed (by the state governments) Senate. Britain had an elected House of Commons, the US had an elected house of representatives. Basically we had a government that was much like the government we had before the Revolution. Most of our laws were based on English Common Law, we just wrote them down. We basically followed the British pattern in our government with the difference that we elected our top leaders. Britain was going that way in any case. The biggest difference was that we no longer had an imperial government trying to tell us what to do.

We also of course had the example of the rule of law given us by Britain to help us chart our way. Many of the revolutions that followed ours fell apart because the people didn't have a good background in the rule of law. That is one of the great gifts that we got from Britain's rule of the American Colonies.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bill--- An elected senate is in no way comparable to an hereditary peerage. Neither is an hereditary monarch the same as a President. Peers are peers for life, and their sons (or closest male relative) will inherit that position with all its advantages for all of their life until death. For ever. Whilst there are some recent changes to the House of Lords it is still a house of inherited power. (Whist there are a only a very few inherited peerages that can be held by a woman, the monarch may be female (of course).)

Any one can (in theory) be a senator or a President (although there are birth issues for President). Then after (is it two terms?) the President is sacked! Definitely NOT the same as monarchy.

The American republic in victory modified the Westminster parliamentary system for their own society, but, as in Australia, the chosen model was in fact a federation of states-- and the states retained power and governors etc, This is not true of Britain, though in he last few years the devolution of Wales and Scotland, and earlier the break with southern Ireland has changed the political environment, Britain is still not a federation of states. It is a kingdom, until recently a United Kingdom. Now it is Great Britain!

Here in Australia we have the monarch of Britain as our head of state -her title is Queen of Australia. Her representative is the Governor General-- a largely ceremonial position. She is also represented in the states by a Governor. These are not elected positions but appointments by parliament --- but then we haven't had our Revolution yet! The Rev would understand as it is similar to Canada.

The victorious American colonialists drew up a constitution which is the foundation of the government today. Britain had no written constitution, they just muddled along without it, which was probably why the new government in America felt it was necessary to codify their ideals. Whilst they adopted many of the traditional rules of government they also adapted many of them and introduced new ones.They took as the basis of their ideology that representation in government was the right of every man (with some qualifications to start with, and if you were female --- forget it). That was an historic recognition of the concept of equality, and it was used in the Constitution.

They did a really good job, and it dos not give them enough credit to say they merely slid into place without altering things. America was changed completely by their fight, and probably for the better!

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ellis, One of the things about all of that is that the American colonies were to a large extent self governing before the revolution. We were nominally ruled by the Crown and Parliament, but we weren't very interesting. Nobody was making a lot of money off of us and we were generally let go with only general guidance from Britain. That in general was what kicked off the war. Britain started trying to tighten up their rule and get us to work the way they thought we should. A lot of that was so that they could get more money out of us. So we went to war to keep the rights we had received, more from neglect than anything else. And in fact the first government we tried under the Articles of Confederation was really based on that. Each colony had its own way of doing things and they wanted to keep on doing them that way. So we were really trying to not change the way things were done, at least for us. To many people the King was just a foreigner who was nominally in charge.

And at first the Senate wasn't elected. The Senators were selected by the states in any way they wanted. For a long time the Senate was known as a rich man's club. The main way to get in was to be rich and know the governor of the state.

And up until Roosevelt the 2 term limit for the president was a precedent, not a law. George Washington set that precedent because he didn't want to be a king. When Roosevelt was elected for a 4th term it threw a scare into a lot of people that we might wind up with a hereditary monarch and they ran with the term limit amendment.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bill--Like I said--- you sack your president after 2 terms. And you select your own senators, now by popular voting. And you have a federation of states which have their own laws decided by their own legislative chambers. This is a system of government that has never had a place in British parliamentary history. (Perhaps until recently with, as I mentioned before, the devolution of Wales and Scotland--- but that still seems to me to be a work in progress.)

One of the main advantages of the actual Westminster system of democracy that was in place in the C18th is that of a recognised opposition. It is the alternative government, and as such has a legal (even moral) standing which is very difficult for other governmental systems to understand. It is possible to have elections where multiple candidates stand for office and voters are able choose between them. They are however all from the same party and the idea that a complete change of government can take place peacefully, and with the power from this change belonging to the electorate, is the main difference between true democracy and the somewhat flawed affairs the lead to the sort of conclusion that we see in Syria and the M/E. Also it has to be recognised that sometimes voters do not elect the best candidates! This can usually work out at the next election where the power changes.

I am well aware of the way that a country can govern itself in absolutely every way possible and yet still have a foreigner as head of state as since Australia, in a referendum where everyone voted, decided not to break with the status quo and keep Her Maj, I live in one!

Something you may find interesting to do is to 'compare and contrast' the American and French revolutions. It was indeed 'the best of times and the worst of times'* and revolution was definitely in the air. And a really fascinating player was Ben Franklin. He is a really interesting character.

* Dickens 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

This is SO not even NQS I am surprised it is still here!

Last edited by Ellis; 08/04/12 01:55 AM. Reason: wrong century
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
The Declaration of Independence: A Transcription

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

this is sort of what the atmosphere in the U.S. is like
and has been this way for the last decade.

brought on by fear tactics , sword rattling , and rumors.

and facts.

personally I think that our military would turn if they
were ever faced with choosing who their loyalty belongs to.

I think we are really dumb , but were not stupid.

and we did break from brittish rule because of the
sudden changes that the brittish imposed on us.

you guys just havent done it yet , you may never do it.

there may be no reason to break from brittish rule.

Last edited by paul; 08/04/12 03:24 AM.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
This is SO not even NQS I am surprised it is still here!

I agree that this does not even come close to science, not even NQS. Sometimes these threads do kind of drift.

Bill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
well , it may not be science but it gets attention.

you may have made another SAGG 4.6 million view blockbuster thread , Bill.

this thread isnt a month old yet and it already has 9 pages
and 2862 views.

look at the thread

( Philosophy of Religion -- all Religions )

its not science either but it has 199 pages and 4.6 million views!!!
and 1985 replies.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Quote:

its not science either but it has 199 pages and 4.6 million views!!!
and 1985 replies.

That means it gets one reply for every 2,317 views. However there are only a handful of regulars who play on that thread. The reverend makes up for 60% of the posts and most of them are repetitive advertizements for anyone who might want to read his biography.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
right , thats what Im saying this thread is more popular
because it has 87 replies for only 2886 views.

vs the 1 reply for 2317 views !!!

a blockbuster is born.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Well, I think partly the interest may be that we aren't just rehashing a lot of stuff that has already been discussed to death. At the same time it has most recently been a discussion between myself and Ellis about how revolutionary the American Revolutionary War was. And since what we are disagreeing about is more a point of view than of fact I think we have said about all there is to say. So I am about ready to let the whole thing die unless something different comes up.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I agree with Bill-- and I wonder why more of those 2886 people who visited did not post their points of view. I think we two have exhausted our arguments and further discussion would be repetitive and boring. However I must say I enjoyed the discussion very much!

So now we need a new slant on just how dumb we are!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I agree with TT

we are being numbed into submission , this is evident in
the programming we have to endure , I am fortunate enough
to not have television any longer so I am not exposed to
the numbing and degradation imposed on tv viewers today.

here is a new slant on how dumb we have proven ourselves to be.

the below could be the future of the American highway infrastructure.
due to decreases in tax dollars , because of free trade.

in fact it already is pretty bad.
when President Obama stated that all buisnesses in america
built their buisness with government assistance he was 100%
correct , because all buisnesses require an transportation system in order to function.
along with a millitary to safeguard the country their buisness
does transactions in.
etc...etc...etc...

see how much you can save.

save money , live better.

dont worry about anything else , just save money and live better.

wallmart continues to build stores all over the world so that
you and your children will have a place to work.

so dont worry , just save money and live better.

no need for worrying about sending your children to college
you dont even need a high school education to work at wallmart.

you dont even have to be 18 years old...

just save money and live it up...

worried about your childrens health coverage , not to worry , walmart has that covered , if you work at walmart they will ensure that your income is low enough so that you qualify for
government health assistance.

worries about having a place to live ?

once again if you work at walmart you can get government housing assistance because your income is low.

just think about it , a job , health insurance and a place to live all just because you work at walmart.

where else can you find a bargain like that?

and you dont even have to work a full week.
you only have to work about 28 hours a week , WOW.

so just save money and live better and dont you worry about a thing the government will pick up the tab.

after all its the governments fault for introducing the
idiotic free trade that has caused all of our major problems
concerning our economy and as long as they can keep the idiots in office they will continue the free trade.

so just save money and live better.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
It's feel good TV -and reporting.

Now I feel vastly more clever, successful and generally superior to Honey Boo Boo etc. Good for me!!! I love ME!!! I am very important!!!! And thus I am cleverer (and all that) than The Happy Honey Boo Boo tribe and the scum of the earth who work at Walmart in a service industry and so have low low wages. Why should they not be as worried as I am about health and unemployment--- When I am SO MUCH BETTER than them?

I think I'll watch Honey Boo Boo again--- she makes me feel SO G-O-O-D about how superior I really am, (though I am miffed they all seem to be quite happy muddling along in their disorganised way, though the kid will end up FAT I'm sure).

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
its not that walmart does not need to have a person filing a job position 24 hours a day , its that walmart fills those job positions using more people.

this way those people can have more for less work.

its the way the system is set up and they are clever enough to
take advantage of it.

and they can avoid the cost of health insurance which is a large
expense per employee.

its quite clear that walmart would be forced to work their employees 40 hours a week if the various low income programs
were not in place because the employees could not afford housing or medical coverage using the wages that walmart pays a employee working 28 hours a week.

if it were not for the low income programs then walmart could not function in the united states.

unless they built housing for their employees and provided a health clinic / hospital and salaried doctors and nurses for their employees.

and Ellis , honey boo boo and her family are people who have been given an opportunity to exploit the people who think they
are better than they are.

and their bank accounts will reflect that.

I know you were being sarcastic , but reading what you wrote was a little spooky.

but there are people who enjoy watching the less fortunate
because it makes them feel good.

I suppose the waltons will all be gathered in the theater
room in the walton bunker mansion with their servants serving up popcorn and milk duds while they watch the less fortunate
honey boo boo and her family.

some people just have a knack for being happy and content
with themselves and their surroundings no matter what their
financial situation is and their happiness is not dependent on others misfortunes.

and they are not faking happiness !

P
Megastar
Megastar
P

I just had a great idea while watching the above video.

some clever businessman could start up a local buisness
and run a sale on a few items.

say a gaming console that normaly sells for $300.00
at walmart.

and advertise to sell the gamming console for $150.00

they could run the sale at 3am in the morning and then
their friends could go to walmart with the advertisement from his store.

his friends buy all the $300.00 consoles from walmart for $150.00

his friends could then sell him the consoles for $200.00 each.

he can then sell the console for $250.00

he has made $50.00 for each console.
his friends have made $50.00 for each console.

walmart has learned quite a few $150.00 lessons
about american ingenuity and free trade.

and before long walmart will reconsider
their tactics concerning squeezing local
businesses out of the picture with their price guarantee.

Im almost sure that the walmart price guarantee is utilized
to collect data on local businesses buying power and to
assemble a logistical method of decreasing local competitors.

100% legal.

its legal to start up a business
its legal to advertise your businesses products at any price.
its legal to buy products from any supplier or person.
its legal to sell products that you have purchased from walmart.

your only concern would be that walmart sends people
to your business to buy your products at 3 am.

so your recourse would be that you only have 1 of
those products and you dont offer rain checks for
items not in stock.

meanwhile , his friends are at walmart treating themselves
to a little free trade.

they may only have 50 of those products and they will give
you a rain check on what they dont have.

walmart could really become a nice store to have in a local business environment if local businessmen develop walmart style business tactics.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Paul----- I WAS being ironic (possibly) and satirical (definitely). And cynical. And possibly a touch arrogant.

Who am I to judge Honey Boo Boo etc? It looks like a train wreck ending eventually, the child needs professional help in my opinion, as does her family --- but I hope they make millions from people who feel that if they can get on TV maybe there's hope for us all.

Or possibly not!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Who am I to judge Honey Boo Boo etc?

The same person who made a judgment call regarding me, probably..
It looks like a train wreck ending eventually, the child needs professional help in my opinion, as does her family ---

There ya go.. That would be a judgment.
but I hope they make millions from people who feel that if they can get on TV maybe there's hope for us all.

Or possibly not!

That they would put it on Television as something of interest, suggests that there is a mindset that determines the level of hypnosis television viewers have submitted to.
If they make millions, she could breed and have lots of children. Then again even if she is on welfare she could breed and have lots of children, just like herself.
Personally, not my idea of a good thing. sick

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul----- I WAS being ironic (possibly) and satirical (definitely). And cynical. And possibly a touch arrogant.

well at least you were not being sarcastic.
I will agree with myself of course, being the only one who is correct in this matter.

I hope this child and her family the best...

I havent seen the show , I dont have tv.
I dont want tv.

I must admit that I do miss cnn and the weather channel so
get in the boat or you will miss ships movement.

I have seen both of your so called live broadcast and both
are not worth watching.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
??????????????????? LIVE BROADCASTS ??????????????????????

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Where's Honey Boo Boo gone?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Here she is

Personally I think this next one was designed to prevent the breeding of people who participate in reality shows.. wink

Ball Buster

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
JUST HOW DUMB ARE WE?

the evidence is mounting.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
??????????????????? LIVE BROADCASTS ??????????????????????

sorry Ellis

I was speaking to our friends at cnn and the weather channel
in reference to their live broadcast ?

pointing to the fact that many of us no longer use
television as our source of entertainment , therefore
our growing pool of consumers and all the extra cash
we now have due to our decision to avoid the cable tv bill
is creating a market that is not completely addressed.

when I was growing up , there were no bills associated with viewing television , you just bought a tv and the tv had the shows already inside it.

they floated around in the air and came into the tv when you turned it on.

then tv programming was paid for by the advertisments only.

now tv programming is paid for by advertisements and the consumer must pay to watch the advertisments.

my point is that advertisements are worthless unless there are
viewers of those advertisements.

it really wouldnt take much for a group of average people to
realize that their group could produce a news channel that performs much like cnn or the weather channel that is always on and always live that is totally financed by advertisements.

and can be viewed online with no additional charges for viewing the channels other than the cost of the internet service that you currently have or at hot spots throughout the world.

its a multi billion dollar idea.

and if cnn and the weather channel do not get in the boat
they will miss ships movement and other people will take their seats.

you must have thought that I had hacked into your web cams.
I should have explained this further before , sorry.
LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.