Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44154 07/06/12 03:34 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
There is a long involved topic on this site about the veracity of Einstein's claim to his theories. Surely we are seeing the same type of thing happening at the moment?

Apparently the Higgs Boson particle is named after a Mr Higgs and a Mr Bose, the latter an Indian who is now dead.

I used to ask what a boson was! I had no idea it was named after Mr Bose. So the search went on for the Higgs boson particle (note capitals)---- which became the Higgs boson, and finally in many headlines over the past few days-- The Higgs! with the growing possibility of a Nobel for the luckily still surviving Mr Higgs.

I have no animosity towards Mr Higgs, but Mr Bose deserves more than lower case and now, obscurity, as his name is omitted ever more frequently in articles.

So lift your glasses to both Higgs and Boson! They both did well I'm told!

Last edited by Ellis; 07/06/12 03:41 AM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Mr. Bose has already had his name appended to a (or rather a group of particles). A Boson is :

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
In particle physics, bosons is a subatomic particle with integer spin (i.e., angular momentum in quantum-mechanical units of 0, 1, etc.) that is governed by Bose-Einstein statistics. The name boson is derived from the surname of the Indian physicist, Satyendra Nath Bose, a contemporary of the German physicist Albert Einstein. Bosons include mesons (e.g., pions and kaons), nuclei of even mass number (e.g., helium-4), and the particles required to embody the fields of quantum field theory (e.g., photons and gluons). Bosons differ significantly from a group of subatomic particles known as fermions in that there is no limit to the number that can occupy the same quantum state. This behaviour gives rise, for example, to the remarkable properties of helium-4 when it is cooled to become a superfluid.

The main reason that Bose's name isn't as widely known as Higgs' is that Higgs made a huge contribution by developing the idea of the Higgs field. Bose just defined a set of already known particles. His contribution was significant, but not as much as the Higgs field/Boson. This Higgs Boson of course is another type of Boson, not an entirely new field/particle.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
Thanks for expanding this. Mr Bose apparently also co-operated with Einstein and their joint names appear on a number of other discoveries.

I understood that the term 'boson' is actually named after Bose. I am cheered to see that fermions (obviously named after Fermi?) also miss out on the Upper Case, so maybe it is a convention.

Still a bit upsetting for the other half of this partnership--- as more and more this discovery is being referred to as "The Higgs", though I notice you use upper case, Bill!

Maybe my point has been frivolous, but it does seem to me, as an observer, that sometimes in the scramble for success the people who lay the foundations are, sadly, forgotten.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.