Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Bill S. #44423 07/28/12 12:16 AM
P
P
Bill S. has not satisfactorily answered a single one of the complaints concerning mantle currents (plate tectonics) mentioned above. And, after all, this was his stated reason for starting this thread.

Not a single one. Not even close.

I guess that is an admission of total ignorance on the subject.

Don't you folk have any friends who can help you out.

Don't any of you know a friendly academic, or two, who might like to defend plate-tectonics.

How is it you have no friends in the academic world?

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html
Bill S. #44430 07/28/12 11:11 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
This sort of pathetic outburst is what wrecks any attempt at reasonable discussion.

Yes, we do have friends. Yes some of them are geologists, but any mention of Mansfield or Preearth leads to a response along the lines of "Leave well alone; you'll never get anything but abuse". "Never" may not be completely correct, but it is not far from the truth.

I've tried, I'm still willing to try, but so far you have established one of two things:

1. Mansfield's theory does not stand up to questioning.

2. you are unable to defend it.

Comparison of your posts with those of KM in other places suggests that you are KM, or his "glove puppet"; in which case, both 1 & 2 would seem to be the case.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #44431 07/28/12 01:13 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Bill S, you could easily have done as I did and written off the whole load of tripe and abuse from the very start, and I congratulate you on sustained Christian virtue - obviously, you've stuck with it by way of penance; but whatever your sins they can't have been that bad.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Haha I have to agree with redewnur sorry Bill S you made the mistake of being kind.

I love the lunatic who has never yet answered a single question about his crackpot ideas calling you out for not answering questions.

About now you probably realize why the bad tempered ill mannered crackpot has been banned off alot of science and physics forums.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Bill S. #44438 07/28/12 07:36 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I appreciate your sentiment, Rede, but I think my hanging in there has more to do with being a stubborn old sod than with Christian virtue. I like to know what other people’s ideas are all about, and tend to be persistent in asking questions (you may have noticed).

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #44444 07/29/12 07:05 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Ok, Bill, I understand that. Then congrats, instead, on a scientific attitude. You might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, haha.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Bill S. #44465 07/29/12 09:42 AM
P
P
None of your folks whining alters the fact that Bill S. has not satisfactorily answered a single one of the complaints concerning mantle currents (plate tectonics) mentioned above. And, after all, that was the reason he started this thread.

I guess it is an admission of total ignorance on the subject.

Don't any of you know a friendly academic, or two, who might like to defend plate-tectonics.

So you have academic friends in the geological world? NAME THEM. I might know them.

So you have academic friends in the geological world? Why don't they help you?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Bill S. #44466 07/29/12 09:49 AM
P
P

Bill 6 said: Yes, we do have friends. Yes some of them are geologists, but any mention of Mansfield or Preearth leads to a response along the lines of "Leave well alone; you'll never get anything but abuse".

If you ask someone new, whether they might be interested in answering complaints about plate tectonics,... they cannot possibly state "...you'll never get anything but abuse." At this point, they cannot possibly know anything concerning this so-called abuse. They are new to all this. So, how could they possibly know anything about this?

So your statement is an obvious and rather pathetic lie.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Bill S. #44469 07/29/12 11:59 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Pre, the complete lack of logic in your last post matches your inability to distinguish one poster from another. As a mathematician you should be able to cope with just three Bills. smile

"What I tell you three times is true" may have worked for the Bellman, but a science forum usually requires something better.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #44505 07/31/12 03:02 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Pre, are you surprised that it was deleted?

I am sorry you have chosen to re-post it in this thread as it could well contribute to even more deletions here.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #44515 07/31/12 01:26 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I said in another thread that I would transfer a response from that thread to this. I consider it very bad form to ignore questions, comments etc. from others, so I am going to post this reply in spite of the unfortunate direction in which this thread has gone.

Some answers for Pre

“Plate-tectonics, is the belief that many of Earth's geological features, such as mountains, are caused by currents of solid rock which circulate in the mantle. “ Wrong.

Current belief is that many of the Earth’s geological features are caused, or at least influenced, by the movement of tectonic plates. For some time the belief was quite widely held that these movements were driven by mantle convection, such is no longer the case. Gravity is now regarded as a more important influence.

“The convection is claimed to be due to the temperature difference (about 3,000 degrees) between the top and the bottom of the mantle.“ Wrong.

Although there are still discussions about the possibility of such features as mantle plumes; if convection occurs, it is much more likely to be on a smaller scale, and would be driven by local differences in temperature and density, not by the difference between top and bottom, which would be influenced by intervening discontinuities.

“The basic idea, is that the rock at the bottom of the mantle, on being heated by the core, becomes lighter, and thus, rises (in a gigantic up-welling) to the top of the mantle”. Wrong.

This somewhat outdated idea is covered in the previous response. “gigantic up-wellings” may still be favoured by mantle plume supporters, but are not “flavour of the month”.

“The rock current, then flows (away from the up-welling and) under the Earth's surface, but parallel to it (carrying the continents with it), until it cools”. Wrong.

This too is an outdated concept.

“On cooling sufficiently, the rock becomes heavier and sinks (in a gigantic down-welling) back to the bottom of the mantle, and on doing so, completes one lap of a circuit”. Wrong.

There is some evidence, which I have indicated, that sinking , cold rock can be traced to considerable depth, but that this has anything to do with a clearly defined “lap of a circuit” is an assumption too far.

Chastened by an admonition from our Mods, I am making this my last post in this thread. I take responsibility for starting it, albeit with the best intentions, may it rest in peace.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #44541 08/02/12 02:18 AM
P
P
So, why did you delete this post?

And you wonder why after many many years, you have only a handful of contributors to this forum.

Anyway, the deleted post is in red.

Edit; Oh, its back. When I looked yesterday, it was gone. It had disappeared along with this post:

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44500#Post44500

None of your folks whining alters the fact that Bill S. has not satisfactorily answered a single one of the complaints concerning mantle currents (plate tectonics) mentioned above. And, after all, that was the reason he started this thread.

I guess it is an admission of total ignorance on the subject.

So you have academic friends in the geological world? NAME THEM. I might know them.

So you have academic friends in the geological world? Why don't they help you?

Last edited by preearth; 08/02/12 02:45 AM.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Bill S. #44542 08/02/12 02:24 AM
P
P

Was this the line that you felt the need to censor?

So you [claim to] have academic friends in the geological world?

Why don't they help you?

Why don't they help you?

Why don't they help you?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Probably because he doesn't care what some ill tempered, anti-semitic racist crackpot fruit loop on the internet thinks :-)

I mean it's not like ANYBODY in science is taking you seriously pre-earth ... you are just noise and something to ridicule and laugh at.

Basically it only matters to you ... ROFL.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Orac #44549 08/02/12 08:48 AM
P
P
Originally Posted By: Orac
Probably because he doesn't care what some ill tempered, anti-semitic racist crackpot fruit loop on the internet thinks :-)

I mean it's not like ANYBODY in science is taking you seriously pre-earth ... you are just noise and something to ridicule and laugh at.

Basically it only matters to you ... ROFL.

Well, it seems Orac cannot answer any of the complaints concerning mantle currents (plate tectonics) mentioned above, either.

But this is no surprise, as the racist thug, Orac, was clearly never up to answering any of them. :-)

Edit: these are the photos:

http://www.preearth.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=630

that Orac continuously whines about.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Superstar
Superstar
I have had about enough of your name-calling and other childish behaviors. If I find one more of your posts with insults or racist/ethnic remarks I am going to have to do something I'm sure you won't like. I have been getting complaints from the other forum members about your off-topic and off-color posts, and I take that seriously. This is a forum, not a juvenile playground where you can insult the other kiddies and put them down with impunity. Please try to act at least on an adult level or face the consequences.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
P
Originally Posted By: Orac

Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
I have had about enough of your name-calling and other childish behaviors. If I find one more of your posts with insults or racist/ethnic remarks I am going to have to do something I'm sure you won't like. I have been getting complaints from the other forum members about your off-topic and off-color posts, and I take that seriously. This is a forum, not a juvenile playground where you can insult the other kiddies and put them down with impunity. Please try to act at least on an adult level or face the consequences.

Yeeaaaaahhh. You tell ORAC. You tell him girl.

You are correct to point out how evil his name calling is.

Thank you Amaranth.

Someone has to stop ORAC from continually calling people crackpots and Nazis and racists.

Someone has to stop this continuous nasty name calling by ORAC.

After all. this is a forum, not a juvenile playground where ORAC can insult the other kiddies and put them down with impunity.

Oh,... and if you get ORAC to stop his nasty name calling (which has gone on for a long time now) there will be no temptation to retaliate.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Bill S. #44970 08/24/12 11:43 AM
P
P
Seriously; Can't you guys get in a friendly geologist to help you out.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
This is a science forum why would we care about some crackpot geology theory from a ill tempered racist.

Try going to a geology forum.

Now go back to your little dark corner under your rock and rant away to yourself.

Orac #44978 08/24/12 04:25 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Try going to a geology forum.

Have a care, there, Orac! Just because you don't inhabit geology forums...... Yes, I know that should be "fora", but I'm trying to make a pretence of modernity. smile

BTW: Pre has sort of re-ignited my interest in geology after almost 40 years, give him credit for that.

There never was nothing.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.