Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ethan Seigel, in his Starts With A Bang blog explains how everything comes from nothing.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Ethan ran foul of more than one or two Quantum physicists with that one.

Read Sascha reply which is the second comment and he is right this becomes chicken and egg argument if you argue that it is because this or that happened you have a different question to answer "Why is anything possible at all".

These sorts of blogs are useful to explain the concepts of how these sorts of things are scientifically possible to the lay person but science does not say that is definitively how it occured.

Last edited by Orac; 05/21/12 03:28 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
As a summary of an explanation of how everything may have come from something, i.e. pre-existing space-time, laws of physics, quantum fields, it's a good read. It points out quite well how, as though the supposed event wasn't marvelous enough, we see the inclusion of the misleading word 'nothing' which has been re-defined to mean 'something'.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
If all the scientists who write books for the edification of "hitch-hikers" explained as clearly as that what they mean by nothing there would be fewer non-scientists shaking their heads and saying "that aint right". Of corse that might mean that there would be less heated discussion on this kind of forum; so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, or something. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
BTW, what happened to the earlier part of this thread? Is it just me, or has it vanished?

There never was nothing.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
BTW, what happened to the earlier part of this thread? Is it just me, or has it vanished?

If you mean the earlier thread that we carried on for a long time, I dunno. But this thread is new. I just didn't want to take the trouble to look for the original.

By the way Orac, I was in fact thinking that the idea that Seigel was pushing is still speculative.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.