Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 498 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4376 02/07/06 12:04 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Dogrock:
Unfortunately gravity says the extra attraction of Jupiter is exactly balanced by it's extra difficulty to pull. So all things fall at the same speed, distance is the only factor. Hope I didn't miss your point. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to the path "for example of the moon" through space relevant to some very distant star. Do planets go round each other or just pass each other out in this frame of reference. Additon later: I realise my question can't provide the answers I want, frame of reference is everything.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#4377 02/10/06 12:57 AM
J
jjw Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
J
Hi Dogrock:

You commented:
?Unfortunately gravity says the extra attraction of Jupiter is exactly balanced by it's extra difficulty to pull. So all things fall at the same speed, distance is the only factor.?

Rep: I said all things fall at the same speed in a vacuum towards the same object. Each object has an attractive speed of its own dependent on its Mass. Both the sun and Jupiter each exert a theoretical attraction for each other so I do not know where your ?balance? due any extra pull comes into play. There should be, according to Newton?s Laws, a mutual attraction between the sun and Jupiter.

Dogrock:
"Hope I didn't miss your point. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to the path "for example of the moon" through space relevant to some very distant star. Do planets go round each other or just pass each other out in this frame of reference. Additon later: I realise my question can't provide the answers I want, frame of reference is everything."

Rep: Our Solar System and all of its contents revolves around the center of the Galaxy at about 243 miles an hour (as I recall). What takes place in this system is governed by the content of this system. Think of our Solar System as an independent unit. When the Moon revolves around the Earth it does so while the entire system is revolving around the Galaxy and the individual motions as between the Sun and the Planets and the Planets and the satellites has nothing to do with any distant Star. By definition, Planets do not go around each other. If they did they would not qualify as Planets. They each have a track of their own, almost as fixed as railroad tracks that keep everything in proper order unless disturbed by some out side force.

Have fun.
jjw

#4378 02/11/06 12:10 AM
D
D
jjw
Thanks for the reply. I?m bereft of any new ideas on gravity. Except to pose a rather bizarre possibility. Einstein showed how a lift being accelerated in space was an exact equivalent of gravity. If one could express the apple?s fall and subsequent force against the earth as the same phenomena as the continued acceleration of the lift in space then it would explain everything. However it would need a continual accelerated expansion of the earth which has no meaning physically, or it would require a different understanding of acceleration which renders the lift example meaningless.
Overall looking at gravity and it similarity with magnetic fields it seems we have all the pieces of information needed to solve a puzzle and yet nothing. I have no idea of what extra information is required. Maybe some breakthrough in the understanding of time might be a possibility. This is the punishment side of it I mentioned earlier, it?s hard to walk away from an unsolved puzzle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.