Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
recently folks around the Detroit MI area have been hearing rumblings comming from deep within the earth.

Im not certain but I would actually say that I think the rumblings are due to the earth shifting around as the Greenland land mass is rebounding because of the weight of the ice melting and flowing off of the land mass.

needless to say the internet folk have been saying that the rumblings are due to such things like:

1) the Deep Underground Military Bases are being nuked by
those in the upper class something or other.

2) it is the HARP or some type of electronic early warning system.

3) it is the inner worlders or something.

4) just point at a letter and think of a good word to use.

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHw4rmYF5o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjGx9hAqjJA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ep89RkW3y8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHw4rmYF5o&feature=related

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Seems quite clear-cut to me. The rumblings are an early warning that underground bases are about to be nuked by inner worlders (or something).

Good links, Paul, relevant to a couple of other threads. True, the only flag we have seen on the moon is the US flag, which popular CF insists is in a film studio, somewhere, but quite obviously the Nazis are way ahead.

A lot of technical stuff has been posted about the energy cost of storing information on the internet. How about making savings by ditching all the crackpot stuff?

I vote for Rev, TT, Paul and TFF as the judicial panel, with Orac to provide a casting vote.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
ditching all the crackpot stuff?

if I could do that , and did , there wouldnt be much of a forum left.

just look at the threads we have.

its mostly crackpot stuff.

probably why there are only a few people that ever
post in the forum , could it be that we are crackpots?

theres me
TFF
TT
bill6
bill3
bill
bill s
ellis
mike
rev
orac

and maybe a few more

but theres 2717 registered users.

you think they just come here to read the crackpot stuff we write?

I think the crackpot stuff kind of breaks the monotony
and it just might attract some people who actually make
post and reply to post.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Faith for the Scientist
Understanding is relative.

I was talking about the internet as a whole, not just SAGG.

SAGG without the crackpot stuff could be a dull place.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I thought one of the much vaunted plusses of the computer revolution was that it would use less paper.

Quote:
I did quite a lot of work with dementia/memory loss and tried to increase the amount of music used.

did the music help?
which songs would you play while working?
they do have medications for dimentia and memory loss
however if just listening to music helps then that might be
better for some perhaps.

did the amount of work you were able to perform increase with
different types of music and did you notice any increase or decrease in memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNzmrEgz_GI

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I didn't say I was successful in my attempts to increase the amount of music.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I am stunned by the honour of being labelled a resident crackpot!! :-)

Personally on the music thing. One of my (crackpot?) hates is the omnipresence of manufactured music EVERYWHERE! Even my dentist wanted me to listen to some while she was dealing with saving the teeth I still have left!!! She was mortified when I suggested I prefer silence. She was of the opinion that research shows that music helps patients endure dentistry. (I suppose by distracting you from the whirring instrument of torture hovering close to your face).

In my opinion music, when it is played, deserves to be listened to attentively.

It certainly has its place in the lives of those living with dementia, and I have seen how responsive non-vocal children can be when music is played, and, oddly, especially when that music is live.

To return to the 'rumbles' A lot of people have suggested that coal seam fracking is responsible, not only for the rumbling, but also for small earthquakes. This point of view interests me as it is proposed to mine using this technique in much of Australia, and has started in Queensland already.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
A lot of people have suggested that coal seam fracking is responsible

could be , I dont know.
I do know that they use steam cracking methods to get
hydrogen out of coal.

which is simply passing steam over a bed of coal.

Quote:
This point of view interests me as it is proposed to mine using this technique in much of Australia, and has started in Queensland already.

I just dont get it , you guys in OZ have an enormous fresh water supply sitting in the largest ever found aquifer.
over 1.7 million km^2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquifer

fresh water that is valued on the global market well over what you could possibly get out of equal weights of coal.

not to mention the cost difference of bringing water to the surface vs coal.

yet 1 slip up and all that fresh water could be ruined.

here in the U.S. its not unusual for someone to pay well
over $1.00 U.S. for a 6 oz bottle of water.

but you stick a OZ label on that same bottle and fill it with
that aquifer water and you could easily get $2.00 for it.

oy ! heres a way to get the water to the ships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8uYO2QPoU

cool , clear , water

water

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
One ever so tiny problem re artesian water in the outback of Australia-- Artesian water is often brackish and is only suitable for watering of stock, and sometimes not even that. People use water tanks for bathing, drinking and cooking. These are filled by rain in 'good' years and water tankers in the other (majority) years. The artesian water is often unsuitable for irrigation without considerable treatment, which would not be cost effective. The centre of Australia is a long way from anywhere in order to sell the stuff and is sparsely populated in a way hard to imagine from other countries. Basically it is empty and even today is difficult to survive in.

The tapping of the ground water in SA for irrigation was responsible for an increase in soil salinity that has meant huge areas have been rendered useless for cropping and stock. Our climate is very inhospitable in a lot of the country. At the moment the interior is awash with the remnants of the floods from this summer and last. This will certainly replenish the aquifers that support the artesian basin, but it is rare that we got this sort of rain.

Where I live we get our water supply from dams for rainfall and ground water from aquifers under Victoria. Soon we will also have water from a recently built desalination plant.

Water supply is a huge problem all over Australia, and I can't see us exporting what we would all feel was a life-sustaining scarce resource, to sell for $2 a bottle, especially as the water you are talking about is not the sparkling fountains of the TV ads, but barely potable, quite smelly and brackish stuff.

PS The whole idea of mining seams of coal as you described is foolish in my opinion and is quite unpopular here. One extremely important reason is that it removes some of our very scarce arable land from food production.

Last edited by Ellis; 04/20/12 12:09 AM.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
The tapping of the ground water in SA for irrigation was responsible for an increase in soil salinity that has meant huge areas have been rendered useless for cropping and stock.

sounds like that land could be put to use to distill the
underground water.

just use the suns heat , which you have plenty of , and clear plastic.

no energy = cheap fresh distilled water.

and if the water comes up by itself then its even cheaper.

it could become a big profit making venture as the brackish water is useless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqRvUzqDCE&feature=fvsr

plus you can also have a salt industry to depend on
for even more profit.

just look at the above video.

in only 3 hours the tiny distillery produced apx 1 oz of
distilled water.

using only apx 1 sq foot of land surface area.

how much useless land do you really have?

the sun should distill apx 3 oz per day or more per sq foot of surface area.

1 sq mile = 5280 ft x 5280 ft = 27878400 sq foot

27878400 x 3 oz = 83635200 oz a day

83635200 oz / 128 oz per gallon = 653,400 gallons per day

per day per sq mile !!! almost free...

how much per day will the desalination plant output?

but let me add something more to the above.

fish !!

you could have fisheries underneath the plastic , and fish
are good profit makers especially when they are just a by
product of a water distillery.

so you have
fresh water
salt
fish

you could even boost the output using a aqua lens

by using the aqua lenses to boil the water instead of just letting the sun evaporate the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeSyHgO5fmQ&feature=related

so just have a area for the fish , then direct some of the fish under the aqua lenses and whalla you then have boiled fish !!

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
When it comes to water Paul, there is NO crackpot idea that has not been suggested in Oz. One of our mining oligarchs was very keen on setting off an atom bomb in West Australia as it would form a nice big hole which would fill with sea-water and form a harbour. He felt that his shipping costs of the mountains of iron ore he was digging up were too high. And he was really serious about this solution!

Luckily it was too crazy for even the gung-ho 70s or 80s (forget which)!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Ellis
there is NO crackpot idea that has not been suggested in Oz.

Could be you underestimate the crackpot potential of SAGG posters. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Ellis
When it comes to water Paul, there is NO crackpot idea that has not been suggested in Oz. One of our mining oligarchs was very keen on setting off an atom bomb in West Australia as it would form a nice big hole which would fill with sea-water and form a harbour. He felt that his shipping costs of the mountains of iron ore he was digging up were too high. And he was really serious about this solution!

Luckily it was too crazy for even the gung-ho 70s or 80s (forget which)!

Well, the idea was not limited to OZ. There was a proposal to create a new canal parallel to the Panama Canal. The Russians conducted a number of tests and apparently used the technology for something. However, the idea was not extended to any real world uses, as far as I know. There is an article about it on Wikipedia. Apparently there was quite a lot of testing of the idea, but people finally got the word through that this is a bad idea.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Good Wiki link, Bill. I knew I should have joined the CND in the 60s. Somehow I never got round to it. smile

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
not sure what you mean by crackpot ellis it seems that OZ in well into it already , as far as solar distilling is concerned.

its just that the the profit margins will be drastically reduced using what they intend to use.

I would choose the free energy from the sun vs the
40 - 90 cents per cubic meter of desalinated water myself
but I suppose Oz has plenty of money so money is not a part of the problem.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/25010/

http://www.solardesalination.com.au/

http://www.ecosmagazine.com/?paper=EC134p4

I guess what it all boils down to is what you are putting in the pot , because cracked pots will still hold rocks.

they just wont hold water.

lets just compare by a cost and output scenario.

you can buy a 400 ft x 12 ft plastic sheet for about $24.00

thats 4800 sq ft

at 3 oz per sq ft a day thats 14,400 oz a day

14,400 oz day / 128 oz per gallon = 112 gallons per day.

of course you would need something to pour the salt water onto.

so we will double the $24.00 to $48.00

since plastic sheeting would not last long you could use
actual glass.

so water isnt a problem when you have a few crackpots around
its only when you dont have them around that things become difficult and extremely expensive and mostly useless.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Yes I know there are water treatment plants that deal with this non-potable water. It's used by the people who live in the Outback, and is safe to drink. However most people prefer to use tank water for drinking and cooking, even bathing if they can get enough. The bore, or treated water usually has a mildly unpleasant taste. However, since a popular way to keep the mosquitos from breeding in the tank is to add a light film of kerosine to the top the taste is probably the least of their worries. It gives a very characteristic taste I can assure you! Especially when the water level is low!

The main problem with the use of "free energy from the sun" is that any attempt to do just that here is met with fierce resistance and considerable apathy by those who could make it work. It is totally crazy that we are talking, here in Victoria, of building another coal-fired power station instead of encouraging solar development. Too much vested interest at stake.

Water remains a very touchy subject here. There simply is not enough where it is needed. The states and the commonwealth are still trying to work out who legislates for what.

Also, how will you deal with the salinity problem your scheme would, I assume, create?

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
its really sad that it is the money that controls the pollution.

one way to skewer that problem is to show that there could be more money made if non polluting ways are used.

Quote:
kerosine

wouldnt vegetable oil be much safer?

or just keep a lid on it.

Quote:
There simply is not enough where it is needed. The states and the commonwealth are still trying to work out who legislates for what.

let them legislate all they want , just make sure you real people have the ability to make water at your homes if need arises.

if the legislators and the money thinks the people are going to start making their own safe water then and only then will they start making safe water.

I could see how a home desalination plant could be put on the roofs of houses or in yards , in fact the entire roof could be a desalination plant if designed properly and serve as the roofing to boot.

Quote:
Also, how will you deal with the salinity problem your scheme would, I assume, create?

you would have to brush out the salt from your system because
the salt will not go through the distillery process.

lets just say for instance that you were using long pipes that have been cut in half longways.

the salt water is poured into the half pipes.
the sun heats up the water and evaporation starts.
the evaporated water then moves upward and clings to the plastic sheets.
the plastic sheets then drip the water down into half pipes that are used to collect the distilled water.

the salt will stay in the saltwater half pipes , so you would need a way to clean the salt out of the saltwater half pipes.

adding the salt and fishery

you could add saltwater fish in the saltwater half pipes
but you would need to control the salinity of the water or the fish might not live long.

so you would need a system to collect the salt.

and maybe use a fish that can adapt to fluctuating salt concentrations like salmon.

the fish would probably absorb a good portion of the salt themselves if there were enought fish growing in the saltwater.

every time you harvest a saltwater fish you would be removing some of the salt.

E
E
[quote=paul]recently folks around the Detroit MI area have been hearing rumblings comming from deep within the earth.

Im not certain but I would actually say that I think the rumblings are due to the earth shifting around as the Greenland land mass is rebounding because of the weight of the ice melting and flowing off of the land mass.

- end quote -

YES, I think there has to be some consequence to that massive amount of weight changing places from melting ice.

Another sign might have been that oddity from 2011 where the "return of sunrise" after the 24 hr darkness of winter in Iceland came three days earlier than ever before. They said it might be from lowered ice ridges, but maybe the one side of Iceland might have dropped a bit as the other side went up after losing the weight, and the sun peeked over that lowered edge sooner.
- and not a word about if it happened in 2012 [it happens in January].

In fact, Google it and hardly anything comes up now

I found this:
"The sun rises two days early in Greenland, sparking fears that climate change is accelerating"
The Daily Mail (UK) ^ | January 14, 2011

link> http://tinyurl.com/88cjbrh

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
"The sun rises two days early in Greenland, sparking fears that climate change is accelerating"
The Daily Mail (UK) ^ | January 14, 2011

good , lets ask ourselves how this could happen.

1) the ice melting and lowering the line of sight would not cause this because the ice is in the other direction.

2) the only other possibility would be that the earths orbit around the sun has increased in velocity.

because the earths axis hasnt shifted yet , has it?

I cant see how the earths momentum could change so drastically in such a short time so that the earths axis could have shifted , that would require a great amount of effort.

perhaps there is an unknown that is affecting the earths orbit around the sun.

so the earths orbit around the sun has either increased in velocity.
or the earths axis has shifted.
or the land mass is rebounding.

I'll go with the land mass re-bounding myself.

it could be that there is some elevation data available that could confirm or deny this.

I havent looked into this but you might already know , did the sun set 2 days early?

if greenlands land mass ( which would include iceland I suppose ) were in fact lifting upwards then naturally the sun would shine on it sooner (because its higher) and the higher it lifts the sooner the sun will shine.

and the later it will set !!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There is one explanation that has been overlooked:

The report was in the Daily Mail.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.