Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4323 12/27/05 08:52 AM
J
J
In my opinion, time can only be defined in terms of change; without change we will not be able to experience or measure time. The universe is running down and therefore I believe there will also be an end of time.

I am going for a few days into the African bush to experience a "slow-down in time". Best wishes for the new year to all members.

Johnny Boy

#4324 12/27/05 02:28 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
I agree with your opinion to some extent but that doesn't answer my question.

#4325 12/28/05 03:57 AM
B
B
If an oject or even light is traveling at the speed of light then whatever light is traveling through has the same speed or quicker, as light pushes through it ??????

#4326 12/28/05 08:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Time was never created .. it was always present in our head since the term Universe started existing in our head.

#4327 12/28/05 05:49 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Apparently you believe that a universe, absent humans, would also be absent time. And no doubt that a tree that falls in the forest doesn't make a sound unless someone is there to hear it.

DA Morgan
#4328 12/28/05 08:01 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
that depends on which definition of sound you are using, language is so [content deleted] ambiguous!

#4329 12/29/05 05:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Apparently you believe that a universe, absent humans, would also be absent time. And no doubt that a tree that falls in the forest doesn't make a sound unless someone is there to hear it.
DKV: A very good question and a very valid question.
And the answer is ... the Universe is in Indeterminate State .. that is it can not be proved to be Existing and it can be proved Otherwise from our Dimensional Point of View.
As simple as that.
Something like Universe,and our text methodology will take a different meaning depeding upon who you are asking the question.
Even in the case of Human Species you will find that there are people who do not believe in your thought Process and your defintion of Universe.
This diversity of defintion can not be collapsed
using conventional means.
But as I always say the Defintion can collapse into one if you choose the right technology to communicate.
====================================
that depends on which definition of sound you are using, language is so [content deleted] ambiguous!
REP: There is no confusion Rob it so straight forward that I wonder whether you ever took the problem seriously at all.

#4330 12/29/05 03:39 PM
J
J
So since time is a measurement used by thinking creatures and can be percieved as far back as we can imagine, then time sprung into existence with the thinking mind. But at the actual moment of the Bang there was no one to percieve time so time did not exist (until much later). Hense, at the moment of the Big Bang, time existed and did not exist simultaneously.
And that goes for everything: Time, Height, Weight, Plants, Animals, Photons, Universe. Everything sprung into existance at the moment of the first "thinking" creature to perceive it. And the combination of the "assumed" moments before perception and moment after perception causes all things to have existed and to not have existed simultaneously. So thought is the only carrrier for existence.

~Justine~
#4331 12/29/05 05:14 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
justine wrote:
"So since time is a measurement used by thinking creatures and can be percieved as far back as we can imagine, then time sprung into existence with the thinking mind."

Balderdash: Utter nonsense. Let me paraphrase this imbecility.

"Since color is a measurement used by thinking creates and can be perceived as far back as we can imagine, then color sprung into existence with the thinking mind."

Ooooh I can perceive texture too? No doubt that too SPRUNG into existence with the thinking mind.

Please try staying awake at school. There is so very much you could learn ... perhaps even to think.

DA Morgan
#4332 01/03/06 02:34 PM
J
J
Color, Texture, everything that is perceived existed and did not exist simultaneously.
How would any form of measurement exist with no one to perceive it.

But the theory has holes.
It might be off on whether it has to be a thinking being because even plants measure heat and light in some way in order to turn towards the source. And animals measure distance and height and color, etc. So perhaps instead of a thinking creature, it would have to be a perceiving entity. And if electrons perceive one another and if they can somehow make use of or measure time in some capacity that whould blow big holes in the idea. Then again, an electon wouldn't be concerned with time as it relates to the universe the way people are so concerned about it. Time as people percieve it would only have been around as long as people have been around. Just like english has only been around as long as people have been here to make use of it.

There was the possibility of all these measurments and ways to express and explore the universe. But, the possibility of something and it's actual existance are seperate. So Time was not actualized until the first entity existed to perceive it.

~Justine~
#4333 01/03/06 05:34 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Justine asks:
"How would any form of measurement exist with no one to perceive it."

And the answer is:
Measurement is a natural property of the entire universe. If the sun radiates in the infrared ... planets get hot. That heat is recorded by the temperature of the atmosphere and the water and the ability of the chemistry of life-forms to exist. Thus we know the temperature of this planet going back in history before there was any sentient being running around with a thermometer.

The same thing goes for every other property. I don't need to touch a dinosaur to know the texture of its skin. I don't need to have been alive a billion years ago to know the color of a star whose light was emitted then.

Take the sentient measurer out of the equation and there is a measurement non-the-less as the entire universe reacts and interacts with itself.

DA Morgan
#4334 01/03/06 07:37 PM
J
J
Very nicely put, DA. You're a very good teacher when you resist the temptation to insult.
And it's obvious the reason you post here so often is to teach people and help them. You're even poetic. "I don't need to touch a dinosaur to know the texture of its skin."
Lovely, really.

~Justine~
#4335 01/05/06 10:09 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Intelligent questions never beget an insult.

I teach at the University of Washington and am always willing to help those who are genuinely
interested in learning.

If you see me referring some to their local psychiatrist ... or questioning their ability to discern reality ... it is because I genuinely have questions about their ability to think rationally and apply Boolean logic to a problem.

DA Morgan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.