Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rev
If so, the agree to WILL it to happen, and then, proceed in good faith, real communication will take place.

With the best will in the world, when I read one of your posts (or anyone else's) the content is filtered through my understanding, and coloured by my life experiences, so I may never really hear what you are saying. Obviosly, this works in both directions, so although discussion may help to clarify the situation, there can never be absolute certainty of mutual understanding.

Understanding is relative.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
So is (obviously) the idea of real communication or dialogue.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
If so, then agree to WILL it to happen, and then, proceed in good faith, real communication will take place--relatively speaking, so to speak [note the edit].
... there can never be absolute certainty of mutual understanding.

You are absolutely, right! and I absolutely agree--in a relative sort of way. smile

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
If so, then agree to WILL it to happen, and then, proceed in good faith, real communication will take place--relatively speaking, so to speak [note the edit].
... there can never be absolute certainty of mutual understanding.

You are absolutely, right! and I absolutely agree--in a relative sort of way. smile

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

As Bill S. said "Understanding may be relative"
....But as Revlgking intimated earlier,
Agreement is not relative..For when the relevent parties AGREE...it WILL happen.
Is'nt that what everybody wants and expects?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

To have everyone agree that we live within the boundaries of relative precepts, even if they are conflicting or distant from any kind of understanding?

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle

To have everyone agree that we live within the boundaries of relative precepts, even if they are conflicting or distant from any kind of understanding?

Forget conflicting, or distant boundaries....what I actually said was:-

"Agreement is not relative..For when the relevent parties AGREE...it WILL happen."

AGREE is the operative word (but I understand TT why you think that might never happen).
I think you could add "time and place". Both could be very important?

i.e. A few people stranded upon a desert island, or in satellite, would of neccesity need to agree.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
tragedy and desperation does seem to bring people together wink

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
"Agreement is not relative..For when the relevent parties AGREE...it WILL happen."

This may be true, but it misses my point which is that the understanding of that agreement which each participating individual has will be the result of filtering information through each person's mental/psychological system. Thus, there is no guarantee that participants are actually agreeing to what other participants believe they are agreeing to.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I guess that's why we pay the legal profession an arm and a leg to produce documents in a language that we all agree is incomprehensible to the layman smile

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Not to mention interpreters if the language is not your usual one. The interpreter has to be skilful enough to convey the intent of the message in both the original language and the unknown one.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Not to mention interpreters if the language is not your usual one. The interpreter has to be skilful enough to convey the intent of the message in both the original language and the unknown one.

Thee was a news story on TV here the other day about the need for interpreters for doctors and hospitals. There are over a hundred different languages spoken by people here in Tulsa, and this is just a medium sized city. There are around 750,000 people in the metropolitan area. But when somebody has to see a doctor and nobody around speaks their language there can be huge problems figuring out what their problem is. As you said they need an interpreter that understands both sides of the conversation, and that can be hard to find in a medical setting.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
There are over a hundred different languages spoken by people here in Tulsa,

Rwy'n siwr nad yw un ohonynt yn Gymraeg

Don't trust the Google translation of this!

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking

IN THE DOING OF GOOD, OR EVIL, WILLPOWER IS THE GREATEST HUMAN STRENGTH--the greatest power, bar none, in the universe.

In the determination of what is good or evil, the will to cast illusions is a force that is vacuous.

Megastar
Megastar
... Faith is believing something you know ain't true.
~ Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eyes of Reason.
~ Benjamin Franklin: Poor Richard (1758)

Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
~ HL Mencken: Prejudices (1922)

Religion and Science are Orthogonal - they have
nothing in common, and do not overlap in any way.
Religion is based upon faith and is destroyed by
empirical proof.

Science is based upon empirical proof
and is rendered inoperative by faith.
~ Our very own Uncle Al
Scientists need to be more precise: Of course, just as there is such a thing as junk science--the kind based on flawed theories--there is also such a thing as a blind and irrational kind of faith, the kind singled out above. In addition, there is such a thing as having a little faith, or having a weak one.

But let us not forget: A courageous, strong and sighted faith, like a good theory, is possible. It is the kind possessed by people with a deep respect for reason. It is very compatible with the scientific approach and with having a broad kind of education. People with a strong, educated, courageous and sighted faith will not foolishly leap blindly into the dark, but rather take a careful walk in the light they have.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rev wrote...." but ... take a careful walk in the light they have."

What apt phrase, and something we should all try to do!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Rev wrote...." but ... take a careful walk in the light they have."

What apt phrase, and something we should all try to do!

Everyone does the best they can. However righteousness is going to be subjective, and who knows what is good for all?
Growth and evolution is not without challenges. Sometimes you have to create chaos to be able to recognize it. Then it becomes useful and a good thing.

Wisdom often follows a path of education that is outside of determinism and the acceptable programming of the herd mentality. Something not easily recognized by mainstream programs of dogmatic education and social mores.

A person can be crucified for bucking the system. wink

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TT
Sometimes you have to create chaos to be able to recognize it. Then it becomes useful and a good thing.

How about a concrete example, rather than a vague, clever sounding pronouncement which would require blind faith if it were to be accepted?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
http://www.cottagemed.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=13

As contrast to a lack of insight, chaos could be determined to be something that has gotten out of the control of those who have great ideas, and subsequently acted upon the idea without the knowledge of the outcome.

One example:
Thalidomide and it's application to ease morning sickness
http://www.google.com/search?q=thalidomi...024&bih=644

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/science/16limb.html?pagewanted=all

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Interesting to know just what the thalidomide experience has taught us.

http://www.drhadwentrust.org/downloads/W...l%20testing.pdf

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Well I hope it did teach us something. It was a distressing episode that could possibly have been prevented.

That is a thought provoking article you posted Bill S. It seems the tragic outcomes of not testing exhaustively are dire, but we do need medical research to continue, perhaps more than ever now that we have so many resistant organisms emerging.

I have read that once the patent on some quite effective proven drugs expire the big Pharmas do not bother with producing them any more. Maybe we should be using the tested by time drugs that still work as well as the new one-shot wonders that are pushed so hard by the companies.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.