Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Oxygen is the 3rd most common gas in the Universe.
So it is surprising that Molecular Oxygen has only just been
discovered in space, after decades of searching.

I assume that Molecular Oxygen means 02?
The 02 standing for two individual atoms of Oxygen in combination. Which gives us the air we breath.

Anyway astronomers having searched for one of the most abundant gasses in the Universe for
decades without success, have finally achieved fame, using that amazing European Telescope- Herschel.

PASADENA, Calif. 08.01.11– The Herschel Space Observatory's large telescope and state-of-the-art infrared detectors have provided the first confirmed finding of oxygen molecules in space. The molecules were discovered in the ORION star-forming complex.
Individual atoms of oxygen are common in space, particularly around massive stars. But molecular oxygen, which makes up about 20 percent of the air we breathe, has eluded astronomers until now.
"Oxygen gas was discovered in the 1770s, but it's taken us more than 230 years to finally say with certainty that this very simple molecule exists in space."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/herschel/news/herschel20110801.html

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
discovered in space, after decades of searching. ...

Well, finally! Thank G~0~D, which I predict is the next thing science will discover.

BTW, this prompts me to ask: Where are things before we discover them? smile

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
discovered in space, after decades of searching. ...

Well, finally! Thank G~0~D, which I predict is the next thing science will discover.

BTW, this prompts me to ask: Where are things before we discover them? smile

[quote=Revlgking]

Mike Kremer said:-
He can confidentially predict that we will never discover everything within this Universe.
And where are the things before we discover them, you ask?
Hidden ....Until we gain the prior knowledge, step by step, required to uncover those things.

Mankind will never discover G~O~D, it has tried and failed, and so has settled upon believing in G~O~D as its only way out, and its only way forward.
However, over the past 5000-6000 years, the peoples hunt for G~O~D has declined, even as the peoples of Mankind have multiplied.

The resultant Gradual fragmentation and eventual loss and failure in all those who
can only hunt for G~O~D, within their alotted lifespan, will give those future onlookers the ultimate realisation that Mankinds World has changed forever, as they see the believers numbers dwindle, as they as onlookers, multiply.

Only a new, but believable Mammon must be offered to the World, to ensure its future for the next 5000 years.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:

If reality is "created" by consciousness, can we be sure that things are there before we find them?

Personally, I think they are, but could that be something akin to faith?

There never was nothing.
O
Oph Offline
O
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:

If reality is "created" by consciousness, can we be sure that things are there before we find them?

Personally, I think they are, but could that be something akin to faith?
could you repeat that please. I was deafened by the sound of a tree falling in a forest when I wasn't there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.