Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 177 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 90 of 120 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 119 120
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
TFF, you really handed the home field advantage to TT there!
He's even more adept at that sort of tactic than Rev.

The home court advantage being the ability to relentlessly sputter nonsense? Yogic flying is bullcrap. Poor reasoning from false facts does not make it true; nor does it compensate for intellectual inadequacy.

[Quote=Mike Kremer]

Mr Turtle,

Might have to a be a bit more careful and not upset anyone, lest he disappear

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

The home court advantage being the ability to relentlessly sputter nonsense? Yogic flying is bullcrap.

It's a mental and physical exercise. Plain and simple. Whatever you decided to pull out of that statement may be Poor reasoning from inadequate intellectual understanding of what I said, and a serious judgment about Yogic flying, and anything else you believe regarding TM. I think your judgment and prejudice predisposes you from hearing and grasping anything other than your own beliefs and projections of judgment.

C'est la Vie

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Mr Turtle,

Might have to a be a bit more careful and not upset anyone, lest he disappear

I think there are some people who get upset too easily. For the most part I think I've come aboard with an idea that most are comfortable with expressing themselves without having to look over their shoulder in fear of saying what's on their mind. Evidently there are a few here and there who just can't tolerate it and take things far too personally.

You'd think in a science forum there would be more of an open mind to listen. Instead, I think there are some insecure folks who make snap judgments and say things that bring attention to things they don't wish to reveal about themselves.

The Reverend has been trying to oust me for some time, but up till now all of his personal notes to the moderators haven't made the same impression that my opinions have had towards his idea of dialogue or his ideas of being spiritual or pneumatic.
FF has been throwing insults at me since I've been here, and anyone else he feels doesn't meet his standards. I think I've been civil in responding to both the Reverends and FF's innuendos, and fair in returning information to meet their dissatisfaction.

I will admit, I don't always dance to the organ grinders music when he/she wants me to, but I don't think anyone is obliged to fall for another's opinions or beliefs just because someone insists they are inferior by their standards of self measure or don't meet their expectations.

Obviously if you decide to take offense to what I've posted at any time I would think (as a moderator) you might let me know exactly what it is that is offensive about my responses towards those who would find me in disagreement with their value comparisons in personal experiences and preferences, towards the topics and remarks made about any thread I have engaged.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The home court advantage being the ability to relentlessly sputter nonsense?

Couldn't have put it better myself. smile

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Quote:

Since you brought the Reverend into this, I guess that really says what you think about him too.

So why have a not quite science Thread, in a forum if anything outside of the scientific box is projected upon as nonsense?

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
[quote=TheFallibleFiend]...
The Reverend has been trying to oust me for some time ...
Not so! I have no idea where you got this false impression.

As I only read what I enjoy reading well-organized writing, writing that helps me learn about about people, ideas and things I never knew before--the ignore button, which I can switch on or off, anytime, suits me fine.

About "Yogic Flying". Do you really expect readers to accept that meditation can help those who practice it overcome gravity? Or is it just to be understood as a metaphor? It is my understanding that meditation is not a modern phenomenon. It has a long history and has been practiced by all kinds of people throughout the ages.

HISTORY OF MEDITATION
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_meditation

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/01/12 03:06 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Ref.[quote=Tutor Turtle]: Not so! I have no idea where you got this false impression.

I got the impression from your innuendos and personal messages. The references to what it is that you enjoy about specific topic construction, writing, dialogue and beliefs, and the corresponding complaints made to me and others within this thread regarding the fact that I don't live up to your standards. They paint a pretty clear picture.
Oh... Almost forgot to mention the posts where you said you'd complained to the moderators.. wink

As I only read what I enjoy reading well-organized writing, writing that helps me learn about about people, ideas and things I never knew before--the ignore button, which I can switch on or off, anytime, suits me fine.

You've repeatedly made this statement so that much is clear.

However, addressing, the "Things I never knew before" statement:
I've found that if you don't agree or can't find an internet reference to something you haven't heard of or experienced, that you seem less than willing to accept an alternate point of view if you've already made up your mind about something.

About "Yogic Flying". Do you really expect readers to accept that meditation can help those who practice it overcome gravity? Or is it just to be understood as a metaphor?

Obviously you've been operating on this idea and your expert's opinion of what the exercise is about, so that is what you have probably thought I was referring to.
That would be the part about learning something new that I fail to comprehend when one throws accusations at another for some time before asking a question if that is what the person means.
Having an open mind to explore where a person is coming from, rather than assuming where a person is at, seems to be a rampant disease, where sweeping statements are made to an idea regarding popular belief.

To answer your question anything is possible, but more than that I believe what Maharishi intended for his students was to stretch the limits of mind and body. To detach from fixed ideas so one is open to new experiences and possibilities of ones relationship to reality.
Rather than waiting for someone to dictate when it's OK to think and act differently without fear of reprisal from the accepted social and political mores and their forces (which try and reform those who do not march to the tune of the majority), there is freedom of choice and thought available to anyone who wishes to explore the world thru their own experience. Instead of assuming everything thru the dictates of others who claim to be experts.

Personally, I've never tried it nor do I know anyone who has levitated. Those who practice it tell me they achieve amazing results when they let go of the idea that something is not possible, and none are disappointed if they don't achieve launch into weightlessness.

Like a monk who wears a color or takes vows, outward actions represent the inward march to move into possibility and to let go of attachments to the idea of the box.

Regardless of the illusions and prejudices of any onlookers who insist all unfamiliar actions are the results of the attempts to abandon sensibility, those who practice thinking outside of the box will always find someone who wants to make a claim to anything different, as nonsense.

On another note, there is within the mindset of those who assume realities, many who will take what the Teacher says and give it their own meaning. This is evidenced by different practitioners within any teaching, who have different beliefs and claim to be experts. Such is life in the world of relative values where the ego is involved.

It is my understanding that meditation is not a modern phenomenon. It has a long history and has been practiced by all kinds of people throughout the ages.
So has religion. Not all practices achieve the same results, nor do those who preach and teach, preach effective modalities and know what they are talking about.
Not all beliefs lead one to expansion of love, or expansion of the intellect and consciousness.
More importantly:
Not all people can take a viable practice and make it work for them.

Some can't let go of their predisposition towards a particular style of thought and action, and/or open themselves to a new way of thinking and action.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TT
Since you brought the Reverend into this, I guess that really says what you think about him too.

Anyone who interprets what I say as a statement about what I think of the person rather than what I think of her/his posts is probably blessed with a vivid imagination, albeit one that leans away from reality.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Anyone who interprets what I say as a statement about what I think of the person rather than what I think of her/his posts is probably blessed with a vivid imagination, albeit one that leans away from reality.

Quote:

Just going with the conversation between you and FF.
You seem to have put me and the Rev together in the same court, giving me the kudos for being more adept at spewing nonsense than he.

When I said
Quote:
I guess that really says what you think about him too.
I didn't think about making a distinction between the man and his words. You just made that distinction. Thanks for clarifying that.
If you don't know the Reverend personally I'll take that to mean you have no projections upon me personally, just the words that come from both me and the Rev.

When you don't know the man, it would be difficult to make a distinction regarding the words without knowing what is behind them, right?

Megastar
Megastar
... Anyone who interprets what I say as a statement about what I think of the person rather than what I think of her/his posts is probably blessed with a vivid imagination, albeit one that leans away from reality.
Bill S: An excellent comment, with which I totally agree!
Sit scriptor sepelire omnes ad hominems, nunc. Occidere omnes significanter dialogum, et amicitias.

Let's bury all ad hominems, now. They kill all meaningful dialogue, and friendships.

ANYONE, FEEL FREE TO JOIN THE UNITHEIST FORUM AT FACEBOOK--SKEPTICS WELCOME--No ad hominems, please!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/unitheism/

There, I recently wrote the host, Warren Farr (a great USA artist): Warren, no doubt you are aware of what WIKI says about the Tilde--the ( ~ ) the key on the upper left. The tilde (play /ˈtɪldə/, play /ˈtɪldi/; ˜ or ~ ) is a grapheme with several uses.

The name of the character comes from Spanish, from the Latin titulus meaning "title" or "superscription", though the term "tilde" has evolved and now has a different meaning in linguistics.

By the way, the idea to use the (~) instead of the (-) when I write G~0~D~~the symbol for all Being--came to me on March 21, 2012 past--the Spring equinox. I use of this acronym, G~0~D, to make it clear that, here, I use it as a title, not a noun, or a name. For example, the word Christ is a title, not a name, or an idol to be worshiped. Idols, like paintings, can be of value as works of art to be enjoyed, but they are not gods who can demand to be worshiped.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

ANYONE, FEEL FREE TO JOIN THE UNITHEIST FORUM AT FACEBOOK--SKEPTICS WELCOME--No ad hominems, please!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/unitheism/

There, I recently wrote the host, Warren Farr (a great USA artist)....

Caught some of Warrens quotes on his facebook page:
Warren Farr
love the playboy lifestyle, just wish it wasn’t so hard in this town.
Warren Farr
Glad the women I know aren’t the jealous type, wouldn’t want to lose any of them.
Warren Farr
love Paducah but wonder about Paducah women— need a car.
Warren Farr
tough running a harem, esp. in this town— intake has to exceed outgo
Warren Farr
Starting to wonder how much bourbon it takes to make it through the Final Four. Go Cats.
Warren Farr
anyone who wants to watch the game with me come on by, don’t have a big TV but do have bourbon

Go G~O~D ... Liked his art too.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Snake-oil gibberish spewing straight from the bull's behind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQXVRjMoUE
t=1:22 - 1:38

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Well..opinions are like a rectal orifice.. everyone has one.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Stupidity does not cease being stupid when it is eloquently expressed. Long-winded gibbering does, however, make it easier to spot.

Snake-oil gibberish spewing straight from the bull's behind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQXVRjMoUE
t=1:22 - 1:38

Megastar
Megastar
FF, I sincerely regret to say that I found the interview with The Maharishi, by my "Jewish cousin" Larry King, more sleep-producing than informative. smile

I wonder: What happened to all the hair the MMY had on top of his head, when I had a brief chat with him in 1964, here in Toronto? Did it all fly away? laugh
==========================
QUESTIONS
BTW, seriously, FF--or anyone interested in responding--What are your opinions on questions like:

1. Why is it that some people are so gung ho on being holistic--physically, mentally and spiritually developed and mature--while others couldn't care less?
2. Are we hard-wired, by our heredity and environment, to be who we are?
3. Or, are we who are interested in growing spiritually simply deluded and wasting our time and money?

Speaking of being deluded: In his book, The Future of an Illusion, Sigmund Freud described religion--and I assume this includes all kinds of spirituality--as "the universal neurosis"--a form of mental illness.
4. Was he on the money?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Future_of_an_Illusion

BTW, nowhere does Freud say that all religion should be abolished. He inferred that it has its uses; that religion can help some people control harmful instincts, and that an illusion is not necessarily an error.

"Karen Armstrong notes in A History of God that "not all psychoanalysts agreed with Freud's view of God," citing Alfred Adler, who believed God was a projection which had been "helpful to humanity", and C.G. Jung, who, when asked whether he believed in God, said "I do not have to believe. I know!"

I suspect that, like Spinoza and Freud, the above, are not saying there is a separate human-like god, who is a supernatural being up there, who created the universe and is even now in control.

AM I CORRECT IN SAYING THAT THE ACRONYM 'G~0~D' IS A CANADIAN INVENTION? /b]
For my own selfish reasons, I hope that no one discovers that someone before me thought of the idea of dropping the noun, 'God', and replacing it with the acronym/tilde-containing word G~0~D--another Canadian invention? smile Otherwise, what would I have to write about in my old age, eh? As we say in Canada.

[b]THE FULL TEXT OF FREUD'S BOOK

http://www.adolphus.nl/xcrpts/xcfreudill.html

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
When you don't know the man, it would be difficult to make a distinction regarding the words without knowing what is behind them, right?

"By George, he's got it!"

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

"By George, he's got it!"

Which is why people fall asleep listening to words, or make assumptions about people they know nothing about.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Which is why people fall asleep listening to words

....or decline to read some of the longer posts. frown

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Hence, the Internet abbreviation "tl;dr" .

Sometimes the intended receiver of the "wisdom" has a too short attention span; other times the transmitter uses verbosity to obscure being an idiot. The Dunning-Kruger effect explains why said idiot is often oblivious to his idiocy.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Sometimes the intended receiver of the "wisdom" has a too short attention span

More importantly, the determination of wisdom often becomes defined within the span of personal ideals, to the exclusion of all other interests and ideas.

The democratic approach to boxing reality into qualities of behavior and thought, isn't just an authoritative social disease of the anal-ytical mind, but one that infects the majority of all ego bound social mores.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle

The democratic approach to boxing reality into qualities of behavior and thought, isn't just an authoritative social disease of the anal-ytical mind, but one that infects the majority of all ego bound social mores.

Sanity is "authoritarian" in the same sense, because reality is "authoritarian." Denial of one's own ego is not an absence of ego.

Cf. "transference"

Page 90 of 120 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.