Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43012 04/01/12 10:29 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Almost an April Fool title. (Yes it is April 1st)
But these Mobile Cellphone trees are real enough
Pictures below.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/faketree.htm

Well at least they are not stuck on top of a hotel or apartment block, not only an eyesore
but where the constant radio frequency is known to upset some people.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Clever.

heres what I want to see , especially in the parking lotts
that I drive to ...

SOME SOLAR POWERED SHADE TREES

sometimes I wonder if the energy companies pay some type of kick back
to companies that cut down every tree they can
so that the energy companies can make more money.

until then I'll keep using my car cooler.

I wonder if I could rent these things to shoppers at the mall?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I have to say that the fake trees are, aesthetically, preferable to the general run of cell phone towers.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
I have to say that the fake trees are, aesthetically, preferable to the general run of cell phone towers.

They are certainly better than most, but I wonder if there might not be some way to make them even more esthetic. Fake trees are certainly better than standard towers, but they still look kind of fake. So let's make them look more like sculptures.

Don't ask me how to do that. I'm not an artist. I just like to see things that are attractive.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
why dont they just use real trees?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:

...and upset the tree huggers?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul

Bill S. probably has the best answer, but a good answer is that real trees have structural problems. For one thing most trees don't get all that tall. And the ones that do get tall enough take a long time to grow. Plus they have a bad habit of breaking down in high winds. For that matter they sway badly at the tops, which could have a bad effect on reception.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
!

We need to embrace the uglinesses we create to make our lives easier not camouflage it. Though that is one very cool spider-- they are an adaptive species.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
News Flash.

Rumours are emerging of a new wave of echo-warriors gathering in Australia. Tree huggers are giving way to cell tower huggers as militant “Ellisites” insist that we should embrace ugliness.

There never was nothing.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
bad habit of breaking down in high winds. For that matter they sway badly at the tops

you could just as easily attach guy cables to a grown tree as you could a fake tree.

oh , I see the fake trees dont have guy wires on them.

oh well , still I dont personaly see anything wrong with allowing trees to be usefull myself.

think of the pollution that the real tree would be preventing
by allowing it to serve as a usefull platform.

I think that would be a great thing for a real tree to be able to do.

not to mention the fresh clean oxygen it would still be producing for 11 grown humans and also the CO2 it would be cleansing from our environment.

also the cool shade it would supply.

tree huggers might want to give that type of tree a really big special hug.

we should strive to find ways to keep as many trees as we can instead of cutting them down for every reason we can think of.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Depending on where you are there is a general movement to grow trees. Here in Tulsa for example we had a major ice storm a few years ago. The storm destroyed a lot of trees all over the area. Since then there has been a concerted effort to replace the destroyed trees. The main reason is to keep Tulsa beautiful, but it does help to maintain the treeness of the city. And every year at the big Spring Home and Garden show the Tulsa Master Gardeners give out tree seedlings free. It takes a while for them to get big enough to do any good, but they are a good start. We also have an Up With Trees organization that plants trees along the freeways. We have a lot of trees along our freeways.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
excellent !

great going Tulsa OK.

will pine trees grow in Tulsa.
they grow fast , and can become a profitable resource.
they also produce loads of straw on the ground that turns
into soil very quickly.
they also produce pine sap which can be used as an energy source all their life.

then after they have served as a energy source they can be harvested for lumber.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Pine trees do grow well in Tulsa, but we don't really grow them for timber. They aren't grown in areas that are handy for timbering. Most are grown in yards and parks. And then we also have a lot of elms, and pecans, and dog-wood, and red-bud, and a lot of others. They do tend to get reused. A lot of the time they are chipped to make mulch. At Tulsa's green waste disposal site you can go get mulch and pick up logs of trees that have been disposed of there. Of course for the logs you have to be quick. A lot of people go there to get fire wood.

I remember after the big ice storm they had a couple of huge chippers brought in to handle the huge lot of limbs that were created. I'm not sure what happened to all of the mulch, but it sure beats just piling the downed limbs and trees up and burning them, which is what a lot smaller cities did.

Personally I have 2 elm trees in the front yard and 2 pecan trees in the back yard. So I have good shade all around. And sometimes I get good pecans. That is variable. Some years they just don't have many. Last year they started off good, but the dry weather caused the pecans to drop off early.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Paul you can't use real trees in alot of situations because the feed link to the multipoint dishes is usually something like 50km. Over that distance the feed link dish has to be stable and a tree would flex too much. The angle on a 50km link is usually around 1-2 degree max.

In some situations you might have a fibre optic link in and just multipoint dishes out but that is becoming rare as fibre is expensive compared to microwave feeds.

If you look carefully on the lower ones in particular you can see the multipoint dish sectors fan around the fake tree and up the top is the feed link dish or dishes.

Last edited by Orac; 04/09/12 04:16 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.