Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 92 of 120 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 119 120
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
The reality of the hits being mostly drive by's, and not really revealing the reality of anyone who wants to take part in the conversation reveals primarily an interest in the topic heading.

The content however doesn't seem to be interesting enough to draw more than the few who wish to respond to what is annoying.

Mostly this is an ongoing biography and legacy to the Reverends beliefs and ideals, with the frequent vacation schedule thrown in.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
TT, have you thought of doing a count-up of the number of people who have posted more than once? You seem to be good with stats.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Ellis
... and you, Rev, are very good at it [Getting the attention of readers]. However, it can become annoying.
Thanks, Ellis ... But, if it helps get attention... what's wrong with giving an idea the " kiss-of-life", as you call it? Isn't getting attention, among other things, what spurs writers to keep on writing?

BTW, if our moderators object, with good reasons, and judge that my use of the acronym G~Ø~D is being overdone, I will respect their opinion.

While I am at it, I would like to change the title--something we posters can do for ourselves on BRAINMETA.COM

MY TITLE IS
Here is the title I would like:About the philosophy, psychology & pneumatology of all religions, including atheism

Atheists say that religion in neither a faith, nor a religion. OK! What is it then? A philosophy? Perhaps one with psychological and pneumatological implications? Let me know. You tell me frankly (Thanks):
Quote:
Also, while I am being critical, the multiple type face names of GOD thing is annoying too!
What is a multiple-type-face name?
======================
To find the source of the symbol, Ø in G~Ø~D, check out WIKI: Empty set, from Wikipedia.

"∅". For similar symbols, see Ø (disambiguation).
The empty set is the set containing no elements.
Quote:
[This why I say that G~Ø~D, for me, has no elements, properties, or dimensions--in the material sense of the words. If G~Ø~D did have properties, etc., this would make G~Ø~D an idol.

Of course! G~Ø~D is like wave-force in and through and around things but not as a thing, dependent on things. The things of creation, which we often experience as mysterious emanations, or effusions, out of the great no-thing, G~Ø~D ]
In mathematics, and more specifically in the set theory, the empty set is the unique set having no elements; its size or cardinality (count of elements in a set) is zero. Some axiomatic set theories assure that the empty set exists by including an axiom of empty set; in other theories, its existence can be deduced. Many possible properties of sets are trivially true for the empty set.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/08/12 06:30 PM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
And this is annoying too. I assume you meant to say that "atheists" say that atheism is not a faith. Obviously religion is a faith, in fact it is only a faith, there is no religion without faith and belief. Also as there are many differing forms of religion, lumping "Atheists" together makes as much sense as saying the Pope and the ayatollahs of Islam have the same beliefs because they are religious.

On the other hand perhaps TT could count how many times I have explained ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF IT IS A *LACK* OF BELIEF! (And no apology for shouting).

So, in order to remain polite, I will cease reading this stuff for a while.
Au revoir!

Last edited by Ellis; 04/08/12 09:17 PM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Quote:
The Rev: Isn't getting attention, among other things, what spurs writers to keep on writing?
Perhaps the kiss of life is actually a kiss of death, when it comes to perpetuating something that only inspires the reaction to someone who is just seeking attention..

To Bill:
Are you talking about those who have said the same thing more than once or just posting more than once on this thread?

I'm sure the Reverend would beat just about every member of this forum for repeating the same thing more than twice.

On another note, the number of hits might be attributed to the Reverends visits to see if anyone has given him the attention he seeks as a self proclaimed writer.

Megastar
Megastar
OF COURSE: KNOWLEDGE GOES BEYOND BELIEF smile
---------------------------------------
Like, the great Carl Jung Said: I do not no need to believe in G~0~D... I know G~0~D is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ25Ai__FYU&feature=youtu.be

http://sharanam.tumblr.com/post/18698855951/carl-jung-i-know-god-exists

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
OF COURSE: KNOWLEDGE GOES BEYOND BELIEF smile

Most people knew the earth was flat, a few hundred years ago.

Knowledge is akin to belief.
Whatever is popular in the understanding of reality can be propagated upon the alter of belief, and preached from the pulpit by those who deem themselves as the prophets of the highest authority.

Experience however, can often supersede both popular knowledge and belief.

Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Carl G. Jung: I know God exists

A young female student accused Jung of being an atheist. Jung was confused and asked the student where she had gotten that idea. The student paraphrased a quote she had read in which Jung said he didn’t believe God existed. Jung smiled and said:

Dear girl, rest easy. When we have a relationship to a particular thing or experience with it - belief/faith ceases to be a factor.

The truth is this, I have had the experience of being gripped by something that is stronger than myself, something that people call God. So, I will never say that believe that God exists. I must say I know God exists.

—Carl Jung, The Undiscovered Self

See also: C.G. Jung & Gnosis (larger context, better audio)
As Violet Staub De Laszlo, the editor of "The Basic Writings Of C.G. Jung" points out in the Introduction page viii: "Jung laid the groundwork for the psychology of the spirit."

Spirit? In my opinion, it is that which, for better or for worse, makes us who we are. Not only do we have bodies and minds, we are spiritually-aware, self-aware and distinctly-different individuals, or persons.

It is said that no two snow flakes, or two gains of sand, are exactly alike. The same is certainly true for us as rational, sentient human and humane beings.

FEEL FREE TO ADD what you feel about your own spirituality.

Megastar
Megastar
THE MEDIA AND RELIGION
Years ago, when I served in a church in Willowdale, North Toronto (1966-1994), what I said in my sermons about god, the family, social issues, and the like often appeared in a column I wrote for a North Toronto weekly paper, THE MIRROR--part of the Toronto Star. What I said, especially about 'god', often shocked traditionalists, but it did get the attention of the media.

Of course, I AM STILL AT IT. Take a look at yesterday's issue of the National Post, Canada.

THE NATIONAL POST, CANADA, AND THE RELIGIONS
RECENTLY, IT EDITORIALIZED THAT IT REALLY LOVES COVERING ALL ASPECTS--PRO AND CON--OF ALL RELIGIONS

Interested in stimulating readers to write, openly, about their religious beliefs, or lack of them, especially about God. The Letters-page editor, yesterday, published a full page of letters in answer to the question: DO YOU BELIEVE IN A GOD?

There were letters from all kind of believers, and non-believers, including agnostics and atheists, Interestingly, in answer to the question, he placed my letter as the first in the spot which he titled: OTHER ANSWERS.

Here is an edited version of what I wrote:

Imagine! The Post giving readers across Canada an opportunity to talk about God, openly.

I wrote that, As a theologian (Boston University, 1955), my answer in a word is, no! However, I am not an atheist.

As I have said elsewhere, in harmony with the great psychologist, Carl Jung, I prefer saying: I have no need to believe in a god; I know and experience G~O~D, in and through all things, seen and unseen, including people.

The acronym G~O~D stands, not for a masculine and human-like idol of a god, commonly called "God", but for all that is good, orderly and desirable.

How many really believe in the opposite of this? Surely not people, including atheists, or any who are basically good and descent people.

Megastar
Megastar
I find this interesting:
THE WORD FOR PRAYER IN ARAMAIC (The common language spoken in Jesus' time) is SALAH (an Arabic word). In ancient times, Aram was the general name for Syria.

THE CURSE OF TRIBALISM
In Jesus' day Syria was made up of many many tribes--a much larger area than it is today. Abraham, son of Terah, was really a tribal leader. He came from the area which, today we call Iran.

The Bible refers to Abraham (father of a people) as a wandering Aramaean. With the curse of tribalism, no wonder there is so much conflict in that part of the world, today. The tribalism of the Middle East broke the heart of the famous D.H. Lawrence.

Salah, does not mean to beg and ask a reluctant G~0~D. It simply means to connect with, to tune in (think of tuning in to a radio, a computer and the like).

THE COMMON WORD IN Hebrew is tfeelah. Like SALAH, it has a broader meaning than the English word "prayer". It includes any communication with G~0~D--all that is good, orderly and desirable--including melodies without words.

Note: Hebrew writing, like Arabic, reads from right to left. What we call the last page of a book, is, in Hebrew, the first page.

BTW, THE BASIC TEACHINGS OF JESUS:
G~0~D IS THE SOURCE OF ALL THINGS AND PEOPLE~~ESPECIALLY THE IDEA THAT WE OUGHT TO LOVE OUR ENEMIES, NOT JUST OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, WAS WHAT BROKE THE HOLD OF TRIBALISM.

Jesus also went up against the organized religions of his day. He rejected the TEMPTATIONS to be the King. the Messiah, the High Priest. Read Luke 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_of_Jesus

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/13/12 06:34 AM.

Megastar
Megastar
PNEUMATOLOGY AND THE POWER OF CHOICE
The Pneuma--the source of WILLPOWER. It works.
Live-Streaming--is it the future of broadcasting?

Scott Gallagher, who with the help of what the Family Life Foundation (FLF) calls pneumatherapy, is a recovering multi-addict. One addiction, crack/cocaine cost him thousands of dollars a week.

Scott (47) lost a high-paying job, and almost took his own life. Listen to him now. Check out the story of his life. He and Cindy--the love of his life,also a recovering addict--are now top counsellors with the FLF. Available to speak in schools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZgPiQlnjo&feature=youtu.be
=========================================
www.powerofchoice.org

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The Rev: Isn't getting attention, among other things, what spurs writers to keep on writing?

Four consecutive, rambling, posts! There has to be an incentive there somewhere. laugh

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:

Four consecutive, rambling, posts! There has to be an incentive there somewhere. laugh

For who, and for what?

Last edited by Tutor Turtle; 04/25/12 12:07 AM. Reason: G~0~D made be do it..

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Just watch the verbal odometer tick over!

Megastar
Megastar
Who here is already familiar with the work of the self-declared ATHEIST & HUMANIST, the brilliant British actor, writer, speaker, etc., Stephen Fry?

In the video, below, Stephen, born in 1957, takes on the One "True"? Religion.

This is my first experience of Fry's work. I found myself compelled, without pause, to listen to him give this 20-minute speech (recorded in 2009). I will give my reaction to this dramatic presentation, later. I will also suggest a win/win solution to the central problem raised--to all seriously interested in finding solutions. It came to the minds of a group of us in the FLF. It will focus on the TORONTO-DOLLAR system. First, the video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbvr0m_the-intelligence-debate-stephen-fr_shortfilms

Your reactions? Any questions?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Conducted with the brilliance that one would expect of Stephen Fry.
Obviously this was an anti Catholic Church presentation rather than an anti God presentation, and made no pretence to be the latter. Thus it was very effective; unlike many of those arguments that purport to attack God.

The reality is that it is not possible to attack God. All that one can ever do is attack people's interpretation of God. Who/what else is there to attack or defend?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TT
For who, and for what?

For whom? People who write a lot of rambling posts.

For what? To write many rambling posts. Who would do that if there were no incentive?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
For whom? People who write a lot of rambling posts.

I thought maybe you were speaking to someone in particular, rather than making a generalized statement.
For what? To write many rambling posts. Who would do that if there were no incentive?
Incentive or inspiration? Perhaps the incentive is to respond to someone who comments on rambling posts, leading the inspired to think that someone has taken an interest, or is a listener of rambling posts.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
We are, of course, all free to draw whatever inferences we consider appropriate, or those that may tend towards furthering our personal objectives. As already considered, even meticulous care for precision in making statements can never guarantee that the listener, or reader, will not interpret the content in a way contrary to the intention of the author.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Ellis
ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF IT IS A *LACK* OF BELIEF!

I can't help feeling that believing there is not a God; and not believing that there is a God, has to constitute a nice distinction.

Rev will probably point out that here I am using "nice" in its original sense. smile

There never was nothing.
Page 92 of 120 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.