Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
One of the more interesting articles in QM for the month

For the more advanced

http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2012.34.html

A more layman version is available at physics.org

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-molecules-quantum-movie.html

The key point being => they reveal the single-particle character of complex quantum diffraction patterns on a macroscopic scale that is visible to the eye. You can see them emerge in real-time and they last for hours on the screen. The experiments thus render the wave-particle duality of quantum physics particularly tangible and conspicuous.

Our world just got a little less solid ... soon destined to join the flat earthers :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
Our world just got a little less solid ... soon destined to join the flat earthers :-)

I don't think that is quite true. The flat earthers held a belief that was at odds with the observations that were available to the ancient Greeks. Their beliefs WERE fully in agreement with simple observations of the world around them. But even though QM shows that there is nothing really "solid" the observations that we make of the real world are still true. We still observe a solid world and that world works just fine. When we started traveling around the world the flat earth theory was completely undone. Nothing has caused any change in the solid world theory. Their are changes in the explanations of why the world is solid, but for almost all practical purposes we can still work with solids.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
I have problems with a few of your arguments

Originally Posted By: Bill
I don't think that is quite true. The flat earthers held a belief that was at odds with the observations that were available to the ancient Greeks. Their beliefs WERE fully in agreement with simple observations of the world around them.

And solid earthers can be shown observations and infact we may soon have cameras capable of showing QM behaviour much like IR cameras.

But even though QM shows that there is nothing really "solid" the observations that we make of the real world are still true. We still observe a solid world and that world works just fine.

How do you reconcile that any observation you and I make are not identical via Bell's inequality or are you taking a non scientific version of observation as per what a human eye sees?

When we started traveling around the world the flat earth theory was completely undone. Nothing has caused any change in the solid world theory. Their are changes in the explanations of why the world is solid, but for almost all practical purposes we can still work with solids.

True currently until you take them down to very cold temperatures where the solids become very unsolid and even superflow and appear not to be there as the QM effects really start to manifest.

To me your argument seems to centre around the word "observation" and what it means.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
I added this in as a seperate post because it will probably have its own arguments.

Recently as a science community we have been discussing how some of our classic science teachings need to be revisited because of how far things have progressed with QM.

Basically the simplified lies we tell lower level students to make the world simple for them that are factually wrong and actually totally misleading.

This was in part of the motivation for starting this thread.

I saw a great article from Sacha recently about how a gecko hangs onto the ceiling and the classic lie we tell.

http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/van_der_waals_force_or_gecko_feet_grasping_parallel_worlds-88347

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
No time to read the article now, but will try to go through them this weekend. This is interesting, but I suspect it's a continuing problem. I recall in middle school learning about the "Universal Set" in algebra 1 - although it had by that time been known for decades that there is no Universal Set. (Useful fiction in this case, but incorrect.)

It's not just a matter of getting stuff into textbooks - it's getting a generation of teachers who understand the stuff in detail at least sufficient to explain it. Popularizers (the Bill Nye's and N.D. Tysons) can play a role too - maybe a few really well done YT videos.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.