Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
victof
Unregistered
victof
Unregistered
V
The Stargate Project was established by the U.S. Federal Government(CIA) to investigate claims of
psychic phenomena with potential military and domestic applications. KGB had similar research on
telepathy and tried to use telepathy in their spy operations.
The Stargate Project was terminated in 1995, they could not use mind reading with big success, probably because people have
not number, when they read peoples mind they could never know from which head they was reading.

Uri Geller could confirm at Stanford that he can read peoples mind.
Vinko Rajic is talking that he can send and receive up to few kilometer .

Big percent of people believe in telepathy but most schizophrenics believe that they are just telepathic.

James Randi offer one million dollar to any person that can do some paranormal thing like telepathy.
Why he offer those money when millions know Vinko Rajic and about telepathic torture show.
Do you think telepathy works?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
We tend to think of political and military leaders of long ago as being those who would have tried to use the paranormal to further their ends, or gain some advantage, but we have to ask ourselves how far our modern leaders have progresses beyond this when we consider that as recently as the 1970s, during the cold war, the fear that the Russians were using extra sensory perception in order to probe American secrets, locate military installations and identify foreign agents led to some surprising counter measures. The CIA put in place a large programme of training in psychic warfare, remote viewing and other forms of telepathy, in order to counter the perceived threat. That the government took all this seriously is strongly supported by the twenty million dollars that were spent on this project in the course of about twenty years, at a time when $20,000,000 was quite a lot of money.

Although these cold war efforts were almost completely discredited (completely discredited in some versions of the story), it seems that even in the 1990s the CIA were still conducting intelligence gathering exercises using remote viewing techniques, albeit on a “modest” $500,000 per year budget.

Of course, there are those who believe that the remote viewing experiments were successful, and that reports of failure were a cover.

Enter yet another conspiracy theory!

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
To protect yourself you can try A tested protection device.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Among a fringe community of paranoids

Obviously biased! Not to be trusted!

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Debunking a recent report of precognition.
I just saw this on PhysOrg.com. It seemed to apply to this discussion.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
It seemed to apply to this discussion.

It does, but it introduces another element. Precognition is a rather different thing in that it claims to provide knowledge of something that has not yet happened, rather than sharing knowledge of something that has happened.

I think precognition must involve acceptance of the idea that past, present and future all exist together, which would not necessarily be the case for telepathy.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
A moment of levity here. Has anyone seen the film "Men who stare at Goats"? It is about this topic and is a surprisingly entertaining and non-judgemental movie. Not deep and meaningful, but interesting none the less.

Last edited by Ellis; 03/15/12 11:16 PM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Has anyone seen the film "Men who stare at Goats"?

Yes, we enjoyed it; although Donette thought it was dangerous and scary. She said she thought it would have served them right if one of the goats had been the Devil, and had stared back. That would have fixed them!

It doesn't work with horses. We have a field full of them opposite us. Staring at them just makes them come to see if you have anything for them.

I was about to make a serious point, perhaps I'll leave that until tomorrow, getting silly is so much easier.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Is there an explanation for this that does not involve some sort of telepathy?

In May 1968 I was spending a few days with my mother in Cornwall. On the morning of the 16th we were listening to the news on the radio. There was a report of a gas explosion in the Rownan Point flats in London. The newsreader said that there was no indication as to what had happened. My mother recounted details that subsequently turned out to be absolutely correct. She had "seen" (dreamed?) the whole thing at shortly before 6am.

Any thoughts.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
There's a great deal to be debunked, it's true. An up hill slog, to say the least. But debunk, all who will, you'll never sway those of us who've experienced precognition. It happens - and that's from a skeptical guy. The problem is, on the one hand it acts as a foot in the door to lunacy, and on the other, a stimulus to arrogant know-it-alls to get on their high horses. Ho-hum, that's life. Ok, back to sleep...

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
But debunk, all who will, you'll never sway those of us who've experienced precognition.

That's either going to kill this thread, or really get it going.

Come on Victof, is this what you were looking for?

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I am very very sceptical of telepaths, clairvoyants and their ilk. No surprise there! However there have been times in my life (oddly involving my mother too, and one of my daughters) when I would be about to phone them and the phone rings and it is them on line, or I buy them something and they have just bought the same thing. I have tried to explain it by saying we know each other too well, but I have 2 more daughters with whom this rarely happens!

My mother used to love to read the tea-leaves! I remember one time she told me that she could see me with something in my hands that I was carrying sadly and carefully, and it would begin with a 'C'. You can imagine my feelings the next morning when I found myself carefully carrying my daughters' old pet rabbit, which had died peacefully in the night. And yes, her name was 'Cleo'!

As a result of things like this in my life I am a mixed-up person about this sort of precognition. It happens too often to be dismissed. Usually I am happy to call it coincidence, but that really does not describe it I know.

However on the topic of Gellar and other performers I remain very, very sceptical. I am especially upset by the people who pretend they can contact the people of the afterlife. As I do not believe there is an afterlife I think it is cruel to deceive people the way they do, though it has often been pointed out to me that believers are comforted by the thought that they are able to contact someone they have lost.

So, as you can see, I am completely at a loss to state what I think about some aspects of this question, and since anything I have to say is anecdotal I am not sure it is really valuable anyway!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
When she was young, someone told my mother she would make a good medium. She wanted nothing to do with spiritualism, so for the rest of her life she fought against a persistent ability to know things she felt she should not be able to know. My sister, who is, if possible, an even more down-to-earth person than our mother, has the same ability and hides it so well that even I didn’t know until she was about 50. What does that prove? Nothing, except perhaps that such experiences seem not necessarily to be auto-induced.

As you say, all this is all anecdotal, but there comes a point where even an old sceptic like me asks how many anecdotes equal one piece of proof. Of course, the answer would have to be that such an equation is meaningless, but looking for answers is always interesting. No, be honest, it's fun.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Yes it is fun-- and despite poor little Cleo being dead I too used that incident instead of others as it is less confronting than some of the other spookier things I could have mentioned.

Obviously our families share a reluctance to broadcast our odd ability to, in some way, pre-guess events. I know my dad, an infrequent punter would give my mum the list of runners in the big races and ask her which he should bet on! I am very like your sister,- and the ability is definitely not auto-induced. I think the 'search' is one reason why I visit here.

I thought that anecdotes do not constitute proof. We are told for eg. that the fact that flowers are blooming early and rain patterns are changing is anecdotal and cannot be used to prove Climate Change- but I wonder what else there is if you discount anecdotes. Does not research spring from such stories in many cases?

All of which does not help with the testing of the veracity of para-normal claims, and the Bhagavad Gita quote is very wise indeed!

Last edited by Ellis; 03/18/12 12:06 AM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

"The Economic Argument"
http://xkcd.com/808/

OTOH, "some" people *do* make a very good living off these things - by hoodwinking other people. (See Peter Popoff, e.g.)

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman, "Cargo Cult Science."

http://www.lhup.edu/~DSIMANEK/cargocul.htm

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this sort, but it is not very subject to scientific investigation. I have been thinking about it a little bit and I think that a real scientific investigation would have to be something like the following.

You would need a large group of people selected at random. Each one of these people would have to agree to keep a detailed journal of all the various things that MIGHT be involved with such prognostication. That would involve recording all of their dreams as soon as they got up in the morning. That means every dream they can remember, not just the ones that seem to have some meaning. They would also have to record every decision they make 'just because it feels right'. Then they would have to record every event that seems to have been forecast by their dream/feeling/whatever. This should preferably be done without consulting the journal to see what they actually wrote down. And then after some reasonable time the journals would have to be collected and the contents checked for correlations. Just checking the journals would be a massive effort.

This type of study really isn't very likely to be tried. But that seems to me to be the only type of a study that could reach any kind of actual rational conclusion. Of course just controlling the entries in the journals would be a massive effort. Keeping the writers working on them, without editing or anything else would be almost impossible. And verifying the entries would be a big challenge too.

So don't look for any scientific studies very soon. It is just too vague a field for any scientists to take on.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bill, would I be right in thinking that you have no intention of having a go at a project such as you describe. smile

I recall reading about a number of studies that claimed to be rigorously scientific. I didn’t pay a great deal of attention at the time, but I shall see if I can find it again.

There never was nothing.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P

what if its not spiritual at all , but
beings / people in the future communicating with
the people in the past !!!

this would explain many things that just dont seem possible.

cesium beam clocks
fail to keep accurate time

east - west

past - future

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The problem with precognition is that it is not recognised until after the prediction has been fulfilled! The unfulfilled predictions are forgotten and the "true" ones are remembered. My example of Cleo the rabbit is an example of that. It is so flimsy and inconsequential (except to Cleo!), that it would never have been remembered if I had not linked the 2 events in my mind. I think prediction requires/demands positive reception.

I must however admit to some uneasy concern at the depictions of ancient space images that paul has posted!

(And why has the person got a bin on their- (sorry Bill S., please invent another pronoun for me)- head?)

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I must however admit to some uneasy concern at the depictions of ancient space images that paul has posted!

Eddy Pengelly has been trying to convince us of this for a long time.

There never was nothing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.