Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42510 02/08/12 02:58 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Here is a link to an article on Physorg.com about energy saving myths. What it has to say is that a lot of the things that are pushed as being ways to cut your energy bills don't really save you that much. If you pay somebody else to do the work it will probably have a long payback period.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #42515 02/08/12 03:59 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Here are what he considers some of the least effective recommendations.
-Replacing windows.
A lot of good arguments can be made for replacing old, leaky windows.
They'll make your home more comfortable. They can solve condensation problems and prevent moisture damage.
They might boost your home's resale value.

But they won't pay for themselves in energy savings, Blasnik said.

not true !
you can replace your windows with energy efficient windows that will keep your home cooler in the summer as they do not allow much radiation in.

you can feel the difference with your hand in the summer.
a single summer using these windows could save a bundle.

Quote:
In a study he completed for Concord Municipal Light in the Boston area, he determined that replacing 15 old windows would save $42 to $112 per year. Even at that higher number, it would take more than 62 years' worth of energy savings to pay for $7,000 worth of windows.

surely they are not buying windows that cost $466 each and using them as an average price for energy efficient windows when you can google them for apx $125.00

I suppose if they paid enough for them they could still be paying them off after the mortgage is paid.

Quote:
-Weather-sealing windows and doors.
Caulking and weatherstripping windows and doors is a better idea for increasing comfort than saving energy, Blasnik said.
Maybe 20 percent of the air leakage in a house is through the windows and doors - even less in a newer, tighter home, he said. Blasnik said the bulk of the leakage in a typical home is from air coming into the basement, traveling up through wall cavities and escaping through the attic.
In his research, caulking and weatherstripping doors and windows saved $7 to $28 a year.
That may be worth the expense if you do the work yourself, but if you hire the job out, the payback period can be long, he said.

sounds like he could use a little weather stripping to keep that air out of the basement and some insulation under his house and in the walls of the house.'

being realistic about this tells me that this guy really doesnt think before he writes articles...!!!

he states that the energy saving tips dont add up to much then he tells us how much they save.

$42 - $112 per year for 15 windows
20% of your heating bill - the 20% air leakage comming from badly insulated doors and windows.

lets turn that over a few times because if your home is well insulated then you dont have to apply so much heat to keep it warm , so we can turn that 20% into apx 60% of your heating and cooling bill if you had a well insulated home.

that can add up to thousands of dollars each year.

refrigerators use apx 250 watts when the compressor is running and the more you open the door the more the compressor runs.

Quote:
"I wouldn't say, 'Don't clean your refrigerator coils,'" Blasnik said. But don't expect to see a big difference in your electricity bill.

maybe he should also go outside to his car and squish all his radiator fins together so that no air can pass through his cars radiator , this way his car cannot cool down when it gets hot.

just like his refrigerators compressor will be overworked
because he doesnt clean his coils.

but consider this , maybe he really does know what hes doing.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Bill #42520 02/08/12 02:42 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I think it's very easy to use figures to establish a point of view, but, of course, that does not always make it right.

When I go into my loft at this time of the year (winter)it's very cold. I believe that's because the insulation is good, I also believe our heating bills would be higher if we were heating the loft space as well as the rest of the house.

I have not tested it scientifically, but it seems to make sense. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

I have not tested it scientifically, but it seems to make sense.

Ah! Good old common sense. Have you ever heard that common sense isn't all that common and usually isn't that good?

One thing you take him to task for is the price for energy saving windows. His price is a Boston price for the window and installation. The price of the window is probably much less than that. But paying that out in the energy savings is going to run a long time. A lot of his discussion is of things like that. So he may not be completely correct, but he does have some good points.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #42526 02/09/12 06:26 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Ah! Good old common sense. Have you ever heard that common sense isn't all that common and usually isn't that good?

Yes, I have heard that. I believe it arises from the changing understanding of the words. I understand that originally “common sense” implied that which seemed reasonable to ordinary people, i.e. people without special education. As there have always been lots of such people about, and as the things that seemed reasonable to them often made good sense in their own contexts, I guess common sense is a reasonable thing until one comes to relativity or QM, when it tends to fall short.

There never was nothing.
paul #42590 02/15/12 01:40 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
With temperatures falling as low as -30 at night in Ukraine during the cold spell, experts claim gas vital for keeping warm is being wasted.

Poor insulation in homes and buildings makes heating inefficient. The substandard conditions are being blamed on a failure to modernise the country’s Soviet-era energy infrastructure.

During this particularly harsh weather, power is being rationed because it is so expensive.

The cost of heating is an especially bitter pill to swallow when measurements show poor insulation is causing 78 per cent of energy to be lost into the atmosphere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtCntPsOGE

which means that the 78% energy loss could be a 78% lower gas bill with better insulation.

woops , I forgot that with really good insulation you dont need to keep pumping in heat as the insulation holds the heat in.

so you could possibly achieve a 95% gas bill reduction.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.