Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42580 02/14/12 11:55 AM
R
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
R
http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?sessionId=8&resId=1&materialId=1&confId=164089

That info contains a lot of jargon and mystery for us lay people - luminosity, beam dump, quench, scrubbing, pile up, etc* - but here are a few points of interest:

- LHC is designed for a maximum power of 14TeV, i.e. 7TeV/beam.
- Thus far, it's been using only 3.5TeV/beam, as this was least likely to cause 'risk associated with quenches', and was considered probably sufficient for immediate purposes inc. the search for the Higgs boson.
- It's been decided to increase to 4TeV. With upgrades during the past year, it's calculated that the risk at 4TeV will now be =< the risk at 3.5TeV last year.

"Beam Energy after LS1 (1st September 2014):
• Strong recommendation
• DO NOT GO FOR 7TeV PER BEAM DUE TO THE RISK ASSOCIATED WITH MANY HUNDREDS (THOUSAND) QUENCHES
• Around 6.5TeV/beam is safer and sufficient"

* If anyone can cast some light on the meaning of 'luminosity' (!) and so forth, I'd be glad.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
LHC luminosity is basically the number of particles in the beam cross section area per unit of time.

http://www.lhc-closer.es/php/index.php?i=1&s=4&p=9&e=0

Essentially the higher the luminosity the more likely you are to get collissions as the two beam meet headon.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
R
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
R
Thanks for the info and the useful link.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
That's luminosity sorted, but what about quenches?

Sounds like it might be where the whole thing goes "phutt", or where someone has to throw water over it, but I bet there's a more technical explanation.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.