Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42113 01/12/12 01:03 AM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

Google honors Nicolas Steno.

https://www.google.com/

Eventually it will be moved here: http://www.google.com/doodles/finder/2012/All%20doodles

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Many creatonists will tell you that evolution assumes a fossil record and ordering that doesn't exist anywhere in the world, oblivious to the fact that the relative order of fossils was established several centuries before Darwin - by creationists.

The wiki entry for Saint Nicolas is interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Steno

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Saint Nicolas

Getting ahead of the Vatican there, TFF. smile

Quote:
the relative order of fossils was established several centuries before Darwin - by creationists.

Nice one, I wish I'd thought of that a few day ago when I was talking to a creationist.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
According to wiki, he was beatified 23 October 1988 in Rome, Vatican City by Pope John Paul II.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
This is a reason to drop in here! I had never heard of this guy.

What an amazing life he had though he doesn't sound very saintly really, if the wiki entry is correct and he really did became a priest because Duke Someone told him to! But what amazing insight he gained-- the shark tooth example is very compelling. What a mind!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TFF
According to wiki, he was beatified 23 October 1988 in Rome, Vatican City by Pope John Paul II.

Beatifiction makes him "The Blessed.....". Canonization would be needed to promote him to "Saint...."

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #42130 01/13/12 06:09 PM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Beatifiction makes him "The Blessed.....". Canonization would be needed to promote him to "Saint...."

Ahhh ... never knew there was a difference. Thanks.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Would he need to have miracles in his name now? I know there was huge publicity last year when Australia got its first saint canonised and the hitch had been that a certain number of miracles had to be authenticated. Won't that be hard to do after so many years for Steno? Is there a procedure for this? Do modern prayers in his name count.

I like the sound of this guy and would like to see him get over the line!

Last edited by Ellis; 01/13/12 08:12 PM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
As far as I understand the process, the Congregation for the Causes of Saints which took over part of the role of the Sacred Congregation of Rites when that august body was dissolved in the late 1960s, does require the "authentication" of some miracles in the name of a beatified person before they will recommend to the Pope that he should proceed to canonisation.

I don’t think time is a limiting factor. The miracles do not have to date back to the lifetime of the person in question. If, for example, you had prayed to N S for a cure for yourself or someone else, and that cure came about in a way that could not be accounted for by the medical profession, you could have this investigated as a possible miracle. Personally, I think that if you, as an atheist, made such a claim, it should be taken very seriously, but I’m not at all sure it works that way. smile So, yes, modern prayers would count. As far as the procedure is concerned, I assume one would start at Parish level by presenting evidence to one’s Parish Priest, who would, I imagine, pass it on to his Bishop.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.