Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41968 01/02/12 06:29 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I was just watching the Rose Parade on TV and was impressed with the amount of engineering in some of those floats. The one that got my attention the most in that regard was "Surf's Up". Surf's Up had a surf tank on the float. It had 6600 gallons of water in it, with surfing dogs. The whole thing was something like 65 feet (about 20 meters) long. I looked at it and thought they had to put some real engineering into that one just to keep it from collapsing in the middle of the parade.

The surfing dogs were pretty neat too. One comment from one of the announcers kind of got my attention. He said he couldn't even get his dog into the water, much less surfing. What kind of strange dog is that that doesn't rush into the water so he can come out and shake the water all over you?

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
That would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I can believe that of a Charlie, but could you believe it of a Newfoundland?

When our first Newfoundland (Shanty) was about 5 months old we took her to the beach. The sight of all that water was too much for a Newfie and she took off towards the sea. The first wave took her legs from under her and rolled her over in the surf. Once upright, she headed back to us with her wet tail between her legs. Nothing would persuade her to go near that dangerous stuff again. Encouragement, calling, treats, nothing worked.

Faced with the ignominious prospect of having a Newfie that was afraid of water, I did the only thing I could think of. While my wife distracted Shanty I went into the water and swam out about 20 yards, then started splashing and shouting. Even at that tender age, Shanty’s instinct to save kicked in. She came straight through the surf and swam to me. Disaster averted!

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.