Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Space is three-dimensional and so can be closed. Time being one dimensional can never be closed.

I feel sure you must have reached this conclusion via a logical process, but it eludes me.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Space is three-dimensional and so can be closed. Time being one dimensional can never be closed.

I feel sure you must have reached this conclusion via a logical process, but it eludes me.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Sorry, I'm not intentionally repeating myself. For reasons best known to itself, my computer is getting into duplications. Like me, it's getting on a bit. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Let’s look at wave/particle duality and in particular the extensive nature of the wave. I believe that in QM the full wave description of all the waves goes on to infinity in space and time. Those who are familiar with my views on infinity will know that I have problems with finite things going to infinity. However, one has to consider the possibility that the wave function of any particle might not be finite at any stage of its existence.

Physicists can create Bose Einstein condensates that are of a finite and observable size, but in which the atoms exist together and jointly within this space and it is not even theoretically possible to distinguish between them or where they are individually. Effectively, every atom in the condensate occupies every part of the finite space occupied by the whole condensate.

Extend this idea to the “infinity of space and time” occupied by every wave function of every particle. We now have an infinity in which every part is equal to the whole. The entire concept of parts, or divisions, becomes just a function of our restricted view of eternity/reality.

It might be argued that temporal divisions must exist in order to accommodate the changes between waves and particles, but this is only a perceptual change. A particle may be no more than a contracted description of the full wave; a sort of “Fourier transform”. The distinction between waves and particles may be no more than perceptual distinctions that are necessary for us to make sense of our 4D Universe.

Thus, QM becomes a window on infinity which only the “shut up and calculate” mentality prevents us form looking through.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Lack of response to the last post suggests that fellow posters might consider this thread as deceased, perhaps with some justification. However, I still have the idea going round in my head, so a further attempt at “exorcism” might be worth a try. smile

Let's return to the wave/particle duality. My understanding is that QM is consistent with the idea that particles may not actually exist as physical entities. The more precisely one can locate a wave, the more it resembles a particle. This might lead to the conclusion that a particle is nothing more than a precisely located wave.

The next step is to consider that the wave, in its own frame of reference, is still an expanded wave, going to infinity and occupying the entire Universe. Only in the frame of reference of an observer might the wave be considered as a particle, having location and mass.

The idea that every wave occupies the entire Universe, and might continue to do so, even if an observer perceives it as being localised, may be counter-intuitive, but that certainly does not necessarily mean it cannot be the case. QM tells us that our reality is non-local, although this is not what we perceive. Instantaneous actions between entangled particles can (probably) occur over boundless distances. Something links these particles. Would it be totally illogical to suggest that they are linked by their wave nature, and that this wave nature is their normal and permanent state? If this were the case, it might be only our restricted 4D view of reality that obliges us to interpret their state as particulate under certain conditions. If this were the case, it would follow that their mass must be "supplied" by observation.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Lack of response to the last post suggests that fellow posters might consider this thread as deceased, perhaps with some justification.

I guess other would-be posters are less motivated than yourself. My (perhaps wrong) impression is that you'd prefer to regard infinity and eternity as real. Regarding science: if, in discovering how the universe works, it turns out that some things are theoretically infinite then so be it. My own intuition says that infinity and eternity are real, but that's not science - neither is it anti-science.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
It's not so much a matter of preferring to regard infinity (& eternity) as being real. It's just that if it is not real, there must have been a time when there was nothing, in which case, there should surely still be nothing now; but manifestly there is something.

There never was nothing.
K
K
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
It's not so much a matter of preferring to regard infinity (& eternity) as being real. It's just that if it is not real, there must have been a time when there was nothing, in which case, there should surely still be nothing now; but manifestly there is something.

Agreed. This is Occam’s Razor at it’s very best. This is why I am firmly encamped in the reality of infinity. Theories that imply spontaneous existence are not palatable to me.

Happy New Years to All!

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Good to see you again KG, and not just because you agree. smile
It seems that it is not too difficult to get people to agree that there can never have been a time when there was absolutely nothing; the problem appears to come if you try to look at what the something that has always existed might be.

There never was nothing.
K
K
"the problem appears to come if you try to look at what the something that has always existed might be."

It is MOTS (more of the same). smile

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
That's one of the problems with infinity; it's all MOTS! As child, that was something I found slightly worrying about the idea of eternal life.

That should bring Rev into this thread. laugh

There never was nothing.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.