Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Ben Goldacre's book "Bad Science" should be required reading for HS students.

"Ben Goldacre: Battling Bad Science"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MhbkWJzKk

It's generally not sufficient for kooks to spew stupid crap; they want to convince everyone else they're not kooks, spread the gospel, so to speak.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

"Common Sense is Useless in Science"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60uJ7sOx_1A

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Interesting links TFF; but don't filter out all the kooky stuff, we have to have some fun. smile

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

"Scientists investigate water memory"
http://odewire.com/170441/scientists-investigate-water-memory.html

It's difficult to resist sometimes - the stories they weave around their "research" is so compelling.

There are several red flags in this article. No citation. No mention of any specific individual who did the research. No mention of a specific lab. No detail about the preparation or process. I would reject this as unsupported - poetic as it is - out of hand.

Substantiating the work actually occurred does not mean it's right, but it's a necessary first step. It's okay for them to write "Researchers at X university showed amazing thing Y." But it needs to be followed up with something like, "Journal W will publish the protocol and results this week, but Dr. Z, the PI (Principle Investigator), outlines the experiment as follows ..."

One could spend a lot of time and resources trying to explain something that can't and SHOULDN'T be explained, because it never happened.

Here's a blog entry on the article that details other problems.

http://blogs.nature.com/kausikdatta/2011/12/28/water-memory-myth-that-wouldnt-die

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I like to believe that the good doctor was correct–if for no other reason, because the phrase “the memory of water” makes my heart leap up and spin.

OK in some circles, but perhaps not calculated to win the hearts and minds of the scientific community.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
"The Red Flags of Quackery v2.0"

http://sci-ence.org/red-flags2/

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Amusing stuff, TFF, with, undoubtedly, a lot of underlying truth. However, having spent several years working in close association with the Psychiatric Services (all well and lengthily qualified) I suspect that not all quackery lies outside the medical profession.

I would also be inclined to treat this smart-arse approach with the same caution I would accord to the peddlers of snake oil.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Most doctors are not scientists. In any case, science does not mean "right" or "true."

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 01/12/12 01:08 AM.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OedkyxEqtA

"How Not To Be Stupid - A Guide To Critical Thinking"

The problem is that even "wishful thinkers" do not perceive that they "make up their minds prior to examining the evidence." Same for a number of the others. OTOH, just being consciously aware of some of the errors of reasoning and talking about them can help people recognize them and provide some inoculation.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/scientific_its_just_a_catchphrase

Woman asks paranormal "investigators" what their background in science is and what about their investigations makes them 'scientific.'

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 01/17/12 09:11 PM.
Superstar
Superstar
TFF, your You-tube link gave me a link to a video which would not play. Maybe it is my day to have trouble with the internet, but it refused to start/play. Do you have another link to a like video? It sounds interesting.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Rose, the video ran with no problems for me.

I'm struck by the number of times I chat with people who are bright, hold down intellectually demanding jobs, yet are seemingly chock full of wishful thinking. My most recent such encounter was with a 43 yr old woman who was somewhat proud to proclaim that she was a MENSA member. She was also proud to inform me that she was into witchcraft, astrology and tarot. Do you suppose that women are more predisposed to wishful thinking? I'm curious about that, since I once knew another woman who was equally smart - I.Q. 140, several uni degrees - and equally smitten by the very same set of beliefs.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Rede, As far as I can gather, there is nothing in the "rule book" that says that intelligent people should not hold beliefs.

Back in the 1950s, one of the first things I learned in sales training was that intelligent, educated, people are far more susceptible to sales talk than are the (apparently) less intelligent, less well educated. Of course, this may mean no more than that people in the former group are more ready to change their beliefs, but it might also be a “king’s new clothes” situation.

I don’t even know if this has anything to do with the topic, but that seems to be a minor consideration in these days of scientific paucity. smile

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Great intelligence and great stupidity can reside in the same individual. I've had several creationists pull the Mensa card on me as if that settles anything.

Decades ago, when I was an intern there was a fellow who carried around his Mensa results in his back pocket and when someone would disagree with him, he would whip them out.

The obscurantists approach science in two ways. In the first way, they assert that they are, in fact, true science and in the second that science is flawed and needs to be improved by accepting that supernatural explanations are just as scientific as any other.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or grandchildren’s time – when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what’s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness." ― Carl Sagan, in The Demon-Haunted World.

Neither "God did it!" nor "It must be magic!" is an explanation. These kinds of assertions are not science; they are the opposite of science.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

I suspect that as/when this happens in one part of the World, another will be just be pulling itself out of the mire of superstition.

The most that any of us can do is try to shine a light in that part of the World over which we have some influence. The important thing to remember is that our light does not necessarily have a monopoly on rightness.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Well it seems that as a scientist Carl Sagan was a better than fair to middling prophet.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:
almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

I suspect that as/when this happens in one part of the World, another will be just be pulling itself out of the mire of superstition.

Sounds like wishful thinking in itself, but in any case, I prefer not to live in the society where reason is impossible.

The most that any of us can do is try to shine a light in that part of the World over which we have some influence. The important thing to remember is that our light does not necessarily have a monopoly on rightness.

I agree with the first sentence. The second sentence misses the mark. Not all mistakes are equally wrong. Being open to possibility - even inevitability - of error is no justification for silence when people are saying things we know are wrong or even stupid.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I prefer not to live in the society where reason is impossible.

Reason may be supressed, but it becomes "impossible" only if we let it.

Quote:
The second sentence misses the mark.

Does that mean you believe there are beliefs that have a monopoly on rightness? That would sound like some of the more dogmatic religious viewpoints.

Last edited by Bill S.; 01/20/12 10:49 PM.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

Does that mean you believe there are beliefs that have a monopoly on rightness? That would sound like some of the more dogmatic religious viewpoints.

I don't know. Is it dogmatic to insist that 2+2=4 (except for sufficiently large values of 2)?

Is it only dogmatism that allows our society to put people in mental institutions? Or prisons?

P
P
<"Neither "God did it!" nor "It must be magic!" is an explanation. These kinds of assertions are not science; they are the opposite of science.">

The assertions are not science. But that does not mean they are incorrect.

If something can't be scientifically tested, it isn't science and science has nothing to say about it.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Is it dogmatic to insist that 2+2=4

2+2=4 because that is how we define 2 and 4. It is not possible to say that something is wrong when those who claim it is right actually have the power to define the terms involved.

Quote:
Is it only dogmatism that allows our society to put people in mental institutions? Or prisons?

There are those who would claim that that is correct, and they could well be right. I have been responsible for the compulsory admission of many people to psychiatric hospitals, and have refused to apply for admission for many others, even when psychiatrists have been adamant that they should be admitted. Was I always right? With hindsight I can certainly say no, not always. However, I can also say that my decisions had nothing to do with “dogmatism”.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
2+2=4 because that is how we define 2 and 4. It is not possible to say that something is wrong when those who claim it is right actually have the power to define the terms involved.

My definition of 2 is that when I move a rock I say I have moved one rock, when I move another rock I say I have moved 2 rocks, and so on. When I have moved another 2 rocks I have moved 4 rocks. Can you provide other definitions of 2 and 4 that are different and still make sense?

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Can you provide other definitions of 2 and 4 that are different and still make sense?

Of course I can't. Like all numbers, 2 and 4 are defined in such a way that they cannot have any other meaning. This is not a matter of belief, it is a matter of definition.

As such, the numbers have no meaning, or existence, outside that definition. It is, therefore, meaningless to use 2+2=4 as an example of a dogmatic attitude towards belief.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Rede, when I tried it tonight it worked. Must have been the net that night. Good video, thanks for sharing.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Good link Rede, I shall be visiting that again.

However, polarisation seems to be a very common problem. Of course there are myriads of crackpots out there, of course there are lots of people who cash in on pseudo-science, of course people with clarity of vision should seek to protect the vulnerable from the snares of charlatans; but in so doing it is all too easy to pour scorn on everything that seems not to have an explanation that fits in with the current trends in science, or with that particular branch of science that provides a livelihood for the critic. There is a strong tendency to treat everything as though it were either black or white; absolutely right or absolutely wrong.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Good link Rede, I shall be visiting that again.
I thought so too, but TFF posted that smile

I should add a few thoughts on the topic...

Beliefs are our way of constructing a view of reality, i.e. what 'is'; so, we use the word 'is' but strictly speaking we're expressing a judgement based on available data. In the scientific ideology, verifiable data are not ignored; thus a rational, logically consistent belief system emerges, in which beliefs are subject to modification as new data becomes available. So, such beliefs are not dogmatic. In non-scientific ideologies verifiable data are ignored, thus irrational, logically inconsistent beliefs arise which are necessarily dogmatic - since dogmatic beliefs lack a foundation in verifiable data, they are supported by blind faith. Contradiction to such beliefs is a threat to the stability of the faith. The beliefs of non-dogmatic scientific ideology are not threatened in such a way, but their persistence and development is threatened by the ideologies of dogmatic faith. Polarisation is inevitable.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Rede, I agree with you about science not being dogmatic, but we have to remember that there are some scientists that will take a possessive attitude to a theory. For them the theory becomes sacrosanct and they will be offended if any body questions the theory, even if the questioner is correct. Sometimes they will be so convinced of the accuracy of the theory that they will fake data to support it. Fortunately these types of activities are usually spotted before very long. This sort of thing is an unfortunate part of being human.

Bill Gill

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Yes, certainly, in those cases there's no ideological polarisation, just the usual flaws in human nature.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
"... when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together." ~Isaac Asimov, The Skeptical Inquirer, Fall 1989, Vol. 14, No. 1, Pp. 35-44
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 01/23/12 03:39 PM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Polarisation is inevitable.

Of course it is. The trouble comes when neither pole can accept that there might be any truth or value attached to the other pole, or that there can be any middle ground.

Should we just accept "the usual flaws in human nature", or should we make a stand against these flaws?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
The problem is, facts are facts, and nonsense is nonsense. Where is the middle ground in the evolution v intelligent design issue? Or, similarly, with the claim "the moon is made of cheese" - how do you meet that halfway?

We have no choice but to live with the flaws of human nature, but we don't have to condone bad science, nor do we have to accept anti-science, pseudoscience, and quackery. Certainly a stand has to be taken (ask Richard Dawkins).

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Where is the middle ground in the evolution v intelligent design issue? Or, similarly, with the claim "the moon is made of cheese" - how do you meet that halfway?

The fact that you, or anyone else, can find examples of sense and nonsense between which there is no reasonable middle ground does not prove that we live in a Universe in which we must be able to recognise everything as being absolutely right or completely wrong.

You ask: “Where is the middle ground in the evolution v intelligent design issue?”

How about an intelligent designer who planned and set in motion the process of evolution. That might not be what I believe, but how good is the proof that such is not possible? In the absence of such absolute proof, would it not be dogmatic if I simply said: “that’s wrong.”

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Most ID advocates already largely accept evolution. Evolution is science; ID is not.

Whether some god exists is outside the scope of science. Science does not handle the supernatural. The problem comes in that ID advocates and other creationists insist that "intellectual integrity" insists that scientists accept supernatural explanations. "It must be magic" is never an explanation and it's never science; It's the opposite of science.

We don't need absolute proof to know that some assertions are either inconsistent with the facts or simple nonsense. And it's not dogmatic to insist that views that are inconsistent with science are, in fact, inconsistent with science.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 01/23/12 08:08 PM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
We don't need absolute proof to know that some assertions are either inconsistent with the facts or simple nonsense.

I would be inclined to agree with that, but would have to ask how you distinguish between accepting something without proof, and accepting something on faith?

Quote:
And it's not dogmatic to insist that views that are inconsistent with science are, in fact, inconsistent with science.

Obviously it would be absurd to deny such a tautology, but that is not quite the same as saying that everything that our current scientific understanding cannot explain is necessarily nonsense. That does seem to have a feeling of dogma to it.

Quote:
Science does not handle the supernatural.

If science does not handle it, on what grounds could science say it was all nonsense?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Quote:
Where is the middle ground in the evolution v intelligent design issue? Or, similarly, with the claim "the moon is made of cheese" - how do you meet that halfway?

The fact that you, or anyone else, can find examples of sense and nonsense between which there is no reasonable middle ground does not prove that we live in a Universe in which we must be able to recognise everything as being absolutely right or completely wrong.

Indeed, and it's not offered as a proof. It's intended to suggest that, as you acknowledge, there are many instances where middle ground doesn't exist. The beauty of science is, as I mentioned above, that it's beliefs are provisional and mutable; whereas superstitious/metaphysical/religious beliefs are generally very much opposed to modification, often in deadly earnest. In the latter case, every non-believer must be completely wrong.

You ask: “Where is the middle ground in the evolution v intelligent design issue?”

How about an intelligent designer who planned and set in motion the process of evolution. That might not be what I believe, but how good is the proof that such is not possible? In the absence of such absolute proof, would it not be dogmatic if I simply said: “that’s wrong.”

It is dogmatic to declare that no god of any kind exists. Science doesn't deal with gods, except insofar as claims regarding them can be shown to be wrong by scientific means.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
To some extent we are continually returning to the point I raised about polarisation.

Obviously, polarisation is inevitable and valuable, but, so often it leads to an attitude in which it changes from saying: “A” accords with current evidence, and “B” is demonstrably wrong, to saying: everything that is not “A” must be wrong. From there it can go very easily to: everything that I cannot equate with “A” is a load of rubbish.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
BTW, in another thread I gave a personal example of an experience that might have been explained by what has become known as the stone tape effect. I was looking for a possible scientific explanation. I wonder how I should interpret the reticence of scientific posters.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Haha, some light(-humour) in the darkness. Simple home truths. Ty TFF.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Clamping my "devil's advocate horns" firmly back on my head, I would say that amusing as this link is, it falls short as any sort of scientific proof.

It could be argued that all that is established by the chart is that the phenomena in the list from remote viewing to hexes are not sufficiently understood to be of commercial value.

It could also be argued that, for example, drug companies are already making sufficient of a killing to ensure that they throw their considerable weight against any form of alternative medicine.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I've just found the post I referred to in which I was looking for a scientific explanation. I am re-posting it here in the hope of getting a scientific response.

Some 40+ years ago I was driving at about 3am on my second consecutive night without sleep. Strangely I didn’t feel tired, I seemed wide awake and everything appeared normal until I entered an area of street lighting. I then began to hallucinate. Nothing strange about that, in view of my lack of sleep, but this is the odd bit.

Walking towards me, on my side of the road, on the pavement (sidewalk) I saw two young women. I saw them very clearly, even now I could tell you what they were wearing. They were talking and laughing; when they were just a few feet away, the one on the outside turned her ankle on the curb and lunged out in front of the car. I braked hard, but there was no one there. Later, I discovered that a young woman had been killed on that exact spot, in precisely the circumstances I saw. She was hit by an Army vehicle towards the end of WW2.

No mysticism! Let’s have a scientific explanation.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Bill, I could give you a few examples from my own experience. In fact, a few years ago, I posted details of a similar one in order see what kind of response I could elicit. One regular poster, who considered himself a scientist, sort of wiped the floor with me. No else responded - and little wonder.

As far as I know there is, as yet, no explanation in terms of known science that satisfies the people who have these experiences, myself included. Personally, I'm pretty sure that will change at some point in the future.

Having said that, the fact that one has momentarily gained knowledge of events - be they past, present, or future - by mysterious means, might inspire an unjustified confidence that all kinds scientifically inexplicable hocus pocus are real and reasonable.

I do take your point, and I'm with you in the knowledge that these things happen; but it's essential to maintain a strong scepticism and a scientific approach, without which the flood gates are wide open to self-deception, not to mention charlatans and profiteers.

P.S. I mentioned elsewhere that two people I've known, of high intelligence, claimed some kind of clairvoyance. There was another person, a good friend and work colleague, perhaps remarkably also a woman, who could take herself to a quiet place and 'see' what her mother was doing at the time. Incidentally, she too was no intellectual slouch, having degrees from Cambridge.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
the fact that one has momentarily gained knowledge of events - be they past, present, or future - by mysterious means, might inspire an unjustified confidence that all kinds scientifically inexplicable hocus pocus are real and reasonable.

I agree completely, but I also think the opposite perspective needs to be maintained. Just because there is a lot of hocus pocus out there does not necessarily mean that everything for which we cannot find a scientific explanation is necessarily hocus pocus. From your last post, I guess you are already in that camp.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
I have experienced both hallucination and delusion and the hallucination was brought on by lack of sleep. It was extremely real and it took me some to realize it was not. Poor memory of events - that you remember something very well does not mean that you remember it correctly.

Intelligence is irrelevant. Nobody is so smart they can't be fooled - not matter what they think they say. We don't see things correctly the first time and we don't recall things correctly - particularly when we're under stress. This is not a function of intelligence, or honesty, or sanity. It's function of being human.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLGXrviy5Iw

The woman wasn't lying and wasn't stupid. She was mistaken. But *WE* are stupid, if accept eyewitness testimony at face value - no matter how strongly believed and no matter how honest the claimant. It's a sensitive subject.

http://www.alternet.org/story/153864/eye..._id?page=entire

Of course other processes can affect the brain ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/1...5bEQ_story.html

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Yes, Bill, it's the camp that acknowledges (a) the importance of the scientific method as the most rational and effective means of discovering truths about the physical world, (b) that scientific knowledge regarding how the universe works is incomplete, has far to go, and may perhaps remain incomplete no matter how far it goes, (c) - and to the point - that there are events concerning one of the great mysteries, i.e. consciousness, that are not yet accessible to proper scientific analysis.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
The Enlightenment....

And... On a more personal note: Paranoia (often mistaken as reason) strikes deep.

Originally Posted By: redewenur
(c) - and to the point - that there are events concerning one of the great mysteries, i.e. consciousness, that are not yet accessible to proper scientific analysis.
If we change accessible to acceptable would be just as correct..

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
And putting on *my* DA horns:

Considering lots of people make lots of money from remedies that don't work (homeopathy, faith-healing, antivaxx approach to preventing autism, facilitated communication), the cartoon could much more easily be explained by ineffective marketing.

Lots of people make lots of claims - many of which are thoroughly inconsistent. This was the standard in philosophy for a long time.

I was reading Descartes' "Discourse on Method" a few months back and came across this:

"I shall say nothing of Philosophy, but that seeing it hath been cultivated by the most excellent wits, which have liv’d these many ages, and that yet there is nothing which is undisputed, and by consequence, which is not doubtfull."

Brilliant observation but, of course, in the very next chapter he went on to give his own version of a proof of God's existence, one that I refer to as "that argument than which nothing more inane can be conceived."

This is not to say that Descartes was stupid after all, but brilliant people stay stupid crap all the time.

One of the things about science is the reliance on *PHYSICAL* explanations for *PHYSICAL* evidence and phenomena. It's not sufficient to have "good reasons" to say that something is science. We need recourse to the evidence. Science as a cultural phenomenon doesn't answer all questions and doesn't pretend to. That, of course, doesn't mean that when questions are outside the purview of science that we are intellectually justified in accepting answers without evidence.

Of course, the practice of science does require some assumptions - but those assumptions are few and necessary to have a thing called science. We can't, for example, prove the existence of reality. We have to assume it.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
The contradiction of the human instrument to assume within science, and yet alternately dictate the mechanical instrument of measure outside of the human instrument as superior and more accurate, is in itself a comedy.

On another note, the majority assumption seems to weigh more heavily on the determination of reality when the group that assumes is self prescribed as superior to other groups of thought and practice.

Dogma is dogma...

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Sour grapes. Most people see and acknowledge the benefit of actual science, even when they don't understand very well what it is. The obscurantists meanwhile sit on the sidelines, speak gibberish, node sagely, and play with their feces.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Sour grapes. Most people see and acknowledge the benefit of actual science, even when they don't understand very well what it is. The obscurantists meanwhile sit on the sidelines, speak gibberish, node sagely, and play with their feces.

Conversely, some scientists acknowledge the reality of that which they do not have a manufactured instrument for, while engaging the human instrument with an open mind.

Some (of a less adventurous nature).... like to play with others feces, because their own has become too familiar.

It's all relative...

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Ah, well, in any distribution of ability or understanding of any population (including scientists), there are always a few at the far left of the distribution that obscurantists can pin their egos on.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
In any distribution of abilities or understandings within any population (of labeled groups or individuals), there are always a few within the distribution, that prescribe idealisms to claim a title of righteousness... That is ego.

It's all relative...

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
"But, like, yea, man, I know guys who have PhDs who agree with me and it's just ego that says that all the other scientists know more than my scientists!"

Some few in any distribution make little contribution other than words and confusion.

Here's a good video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHAO4JE0G0

Informative and hilarious - particularly in the first 9 minutes.

Gibberish is not an argument against actual science.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Everything within the relative... is subjectively, relative.

One can pursue the absolute box or the absolute within all boxes.

Life is a discovery of self.
Unless one worships that, which is a product of life.

Exclusivity is nothing new when it comes to righteousness or dogma as ego.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Facts are so inconvenient.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
And they are always changing...

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TT
And they are always changing...

I guess that was just a burst of sarcasm. Would you agree that facts don’t change; it is only our understanding that changes?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Both...
for instance.
If you learned chemistry or biology in high school, you were probably taught that there are six chemical elements known as the “building blocks of life.” They are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur and phosphorus. These components make up the chemical composition of DNA and without them, life isn’t possible…or at least, we thought it wasn’t possible.
Scientists discovered a bacteria species living in a salt lake in California that was missing one of the building blocks of life, phosphorus, and instead had arsenic in its place. For some people, this might not seem like such a huge deal, particularly considering that arsenic is very close to phosphorus in its physical and chemical properties, but it’s a huge deal to scientists who suddenly saw a massive expansion in the scope of potential living things. It really makes a difference in intergalactic research, since the discovery opens up whole new planets as potential life-supporting ecosystems.

In the extremest case, quantum mechanics may mean that there are no true facts at all in the universe, only a set of self-consistent but mutually-inconsistent explanations.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, the arsenic based life forms are very doubtful. A new study of bacteria in the lake hasn't been able to find any with arsenic in their DNA.

I am not going to come out and say that our DNA is the only way that life can evolve. From our point of view this is the most probable form of inheritance. But we do only have one example of life to look at. So it is possible that someplace in the universe there is life that uses some other molecule in place of DNA. It may be a while before we get confirmation one way or the other.

In the mean time we know that DNA works, so that is one thing to look for as we start being able to determine what is going on on extra solar planets. Finding out that other life forms do or do not use DNA would really be a major contribution to science.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
It's true. Even facts are open to question in science. They don't always change, but they do change. And, yet, Asimov had the perfect comment to the childish implication that somehow all mistaken views were equal or scientific knowledge never grows.

Repeated from above:
"... when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together." ~Isaac Asimov, The Relativity of Wrong, The Skeptical Inquirer, Fall 1989, Vol. 14, No. 1, Pp. 35-44 , http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

Moreover, the fact that science as a cultural activity is actively looking for errors does remotely imply that others who claim to have less malleable "knowledge" actually do have the knowledge they profess to have.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Moreover, the fact that science as a cultural activity is actively looking for errors does remotely imply that others who claim to have less malleable "knowledge" actually do have the knowledge they profess to have.

Or it implies that the subject of knowledge is based upon what each individual makes it to be.
Importance being relative to what is desirable to the personality rather than assumed as imperative to the whole.

When one looks for something and they look hard enough they can find it.
You can find what is wrong or right with anything, and the boundaries of belief always inspire the instruments (inherent, or of manufacture) to work within those boundaries.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TT
Both...
for instance.

You then give two examples, both of which demonstrate that it is our understanding that changes, not facts.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
TT, looking again at your Asimov quote, and keeping in mind your comment about QM; I suppose there is way in which facts could change.

Perhaps, when people believed the world was flat - it was flat, and when they believed it was spherical - it was spherical.

On the other hand, that could just be some of he "stupid stuff" we should be filtering out.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Perhaps, when people believed the world was flat - it was flat, and when they believed it was spherical - it was spherical.

Haha, very good, Bill. Do you think it would be democratic? - you know, if 49% believed it was round, and 51% flat, then the flats would have it? - or would the folks with more willpower win the day, irrespective of numerical majority? grin

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
'Moreover, the fact that science as a cultural activity is actively looking for errors does remotely imply that others who claim to have less malleable "knowledge" actually do have the knowledge they profess to have.'

should have read

Moreover, the fact that science as a cultural activity is actively looking for errors does NOT remotely imply that others who claim to have less malleable "knowledge" actually do have the knowledge they profess to have.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
"In the extremest case, quantum mechanics may mean that there are no true facts at all in the universe, only a set of self-consistent but mutually-inconsistent explanations."

Or it could mean that many people gibbering about QM don't know anything about it.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
"Facts" are not "Truth."

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
"Facts" are not "Truth."

I think you've got me there TFF, what sort of fact is untrue, but still a fact?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TFF
Moreover, the fact that science as a cultural activity is actively looking for errors does NOT remotely imply that others who claim to have less malleable "knowledge" actually do have the knowledge they profess to have.

Good thing I didn't understand it first time. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rede
Do you think it would be democratic?

I'm not sure about that, but if the moon is there only when you look at it, does that mean that it is there for those who are looking, but not for others? That could give a whole new perspective on "facts".

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
If there is an objective reality in the universe, it exists regardless of anything we know or think we know. In the simplest case, "facts" are observations we make. Recorded observations are a "kind of truth," but using that language can lead to confusion, because, for example, sometimes scientists cheat ... but even correct, honest, fair processes can introduce error. Most scientific papers include a section on sources and quantification of error.

I accept that objective truth exists - and so does everyone else who is not insane. Even people who claim to reject objective reality, act as though it exists, but do not think clearly enough to realize it.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Haha, very good, Bill. Do you think it would be democratic? - you know, if 49% believed it was round, and 51% flat, then the flats would have it? - or would the folks with more willpower win the day, irrespective of numerical majority? grin

This would be the reverends determination of G0D and how G0D would change the universe thru democratic process.

Nevermind whether the world would actually become flat.. it would be enough to believe that the resolute orderliness of will would become so.

That would be one way to create a system of order, but in the light of a more expanded state of mind, and universal mind of a different order, the projected order of belief or "ism", would eventually change/collapse.
"Facts" are not "Truth."

Truth is relative in a subjective world.

Absolute in an absolute reality.

Objectivity is relative to states of consciousness.

Insanity (a relative/subjective measure of cognitive functioning) is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it is just a perception of reality that the majority will refuse to accept. This puts the majority and the person outside of that perceptive mindset at odds with each other.
If the beliefs and ideas of the majority change and eventually open to something someone has claimed to be insane prior to that, insanity then becomes normal cognitive functioning.

It was once considered insane to sail so far out to sea where one would fall off the edge of the world...

"Insanity--a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Richard Feynman explains this idea in a different way. In this essay which was a chapter of his book "Surely you're Joking, Mr. Feynman" adapted from a commencement address at CalTech, he discusses "Cargo Cult Science."

http://www.lhup.edu/~DSIMANEK/cargocul.htm

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bill S opined;
'I'm not sure about that, but if the moon is there only when you look at it, does that mean that it is there for those who are looking, but not for others? That could give a whole new perspective on "facts"'

OR--
If the moon is only there if you are looking at it would mean that it is always there because someone else is looking at it and so, therefore, it is always there as someone somewhere is always looking at it.

We could have a roster.

TFF- In the interests of my sanity and to stop me wondering -- please, give an example of an untrue fact.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Do you think it would be democratic?

I'm not sure about that, but if the moon is there only when you look at it, does that mean that it is there for those who are looking, but not for others? That could give a whole new perspective on "facts".

grin Take an everyday scene (romantic, for good measure):

- "Oh, darling, look, isn't the moon beautiful tonight"
- "Sorry, luv, I'm not looking, so you must be hallucinating; and this high tide is an illusion, which is why I'm not bothered about the water lapping around my ears."

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Ellis

TFF- In the interests of my sanity and to stop me wondering -- please, give an example of an untrue fact.

I understand it's confusing. Some simple examples of untrue facts:

1. Data that are deliberately fudged.
2. Transcription errors.

Suppose I am reading an instrument and marking down a value. On one occasion (and perhaps more), I am tired. I read "73" from the instrument, but I write it down as "37."

This is purely a definitional thing - facts are observations, which can be colored (figuratively AND literally) by our interaction with the environment.

I understand that most people view the words "fact" and "truth" as practical synonyms, or at least that facts are a subset of truths. I'm not utterly averse to using this terminology, but I think it's confusing (more so than otherwise).

You didn't ask for it, but I will also include an example of how we interact with our environment as we are collecting facts (recording observations). Here's an interesting thing. Every year my colleagues and I put on a "Science Night" for local kids and I have an exhibit of illusions that includes this exact example:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...roy-your-brain/

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TFF
Some simple examples of untrue facts:

"1. Data that are deliberately fudged."

That's not a fact, it' a lie! If I make up some "data" to "prove" that God exists, does that make his/her existence a fact?

"2. Transcription errors."

I'm 71, that's a fact. If someone inadvertently writes my age as 17, that is not a fact - unfortunately.

As far as the coloured squares are concerned (good video, by the way), the comment later in the link says it all: "In this illusion, though, you do not perceive the “true” color correctly."

The only fact here is that it is an illusion.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Wouldn't you say that a fact is a concept, or piece of information, that has been verified as correct? Seems that what we accept as a 'fact' depends upon the degree of verification that we think is sufficient. So, I agree that facts are not necessarily truth. What is initially taken to be satisfactory verification can later be shown to be flawed. In that case the supposed fact is no longer a fact - at best, it could be slightly at variance with reality, and at worst, completely false.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
But it's still not a fact if I, (I'll use age too), state I am 72. I nearly am, it's only a slight variance as to-morrow I will be! But at the moment I am still 71.

Is this because there is such a thing as an absolute truth? So even if you wrote my age as 17 (please feel free to do so!), and published as a mistake to all the world on Twitter, I would still be 72 to-morrow! Truth is not an honest opinion.

And surely an inadvertent inaccuracy does not make a mistake into a truth. Actually having read that last statement-- imagine what a joy-filled world this would be for politicians if it were to be true.

Last edited by Ellis; 01/28/12 01:01 AM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Penblwydd Hapus, Ellis!

Just to keep on topic with "stupid stuff"; I think that makes you an Aquarian Dragon.

On the subject of stupid stuff; my wife wants to know if you have trouble with your candles if your cake is upside down. laugh

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
What is initially taken to be satisfactory verification can later be shown to be flawed.

There seems to be some confusion between what is a fact, and what is mistakenly believed to be a fact.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Looks like we are heading into the samantics mire once more.

When we believe something to be a fact, being confident that we have good reason to do so, we refer to it as a fact; but taking it to the extreme, you might say that there are no facts, except perhaps, "I think, therefore I am".

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
....there are no facts, except perhaps, "I think, therefore I am".

Who or what is the "I" and what is "Am-ness"? Does it extend beyond the flesh or is it contained and born of the flesh? What facts will support the fact?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Who or what is the "I" and what is "Am-ness"? Does it extend beyond the flesh or is it contained and born of the flesh? What facts will support the fact?

You walked into that, Rede. Step into the mire and who do you find there? smile

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle

It says nothing about what it is and doesn't assume the existence of anything else, including the flesh. Simply cogito ergo sum.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

It says nothing about what it is and doesn't assume the existence of anything else, including the flesh. Simply cogito ergo sum.

So it (the"I") is separate from the flesh, and am-ness being related to thinking, is or isn't of or related to the flesh?

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Verification <> falsification.

"I have never engaged in any activity that could remotely be confused with actual homework on this subject; nevertheless, I browsed a web page, consulted several religious authorities, as well as a number of acquaintances who are equally ill-informed, and so I feel completely justified in saying the scientists are full of crap."

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Verification <> falsification.

"I have never engaged in any activity that could remotely be confused with actual homework on this subject; nevertheless, I browsed a web page, consulted several religious authorities, as well as a number of acquaintances who are equally ill-informed, and so I feel completely justified in saying the scientists are full of crap."

This is in reference to the previous posts regarding the "I" and am-ness?

R
Megastar
Megastar
R

So it (the"I") is separate from the flesh, and am-ness being related to thinking, is or isn't of or related to the flesh?

I'm not a student of philosophy, much less of Descartes, but the statement "I think, therefore I am" says nothing about the existence of anything other than thought. Neither does it deny the existence of anything else. It's stated as a self-evident 'fact', and whether or not you take it be the only fact of which you can have complete certainty is for you to decide.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Could it be we are getting somewhere?

Quote:
"I think, therefore I am" says nothing about the existence of anything other than thought...... stated [as] a self-evident 'fact'

We have a fact that is, presumably, true. Can we take it a step further and say: "Therefore, something must exist"?

Since we are in the NQS forum, we might then go on to consider whether we can discover what it is that exists.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Since we are in the NQS forum, we might then go on to consider whether we can discover what it is that exists.

Sorry, But Descartes was trying to figure out what there is that he can know for certain. And that was the only thing he could come up with. Beyond that will be only speculation.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

I'm not a student of philosophy, much less of Descartes, but the statement "I think, therefore I am" says nothing about the existence of anything other than thought.

So you are making an assumption...?

It would seem to suggest the idea that thought has an origin, as well as influencing or following the experience or experiencer of thought, in self recognition.
Similar to Eastern spiritual teachings which describe.. The known, the knower and the process of knowing, referenced in the Upanishads, Christian and Buddhist teachings, and Vedic literature which predates Buddha and Jesus' teachings.

Quote:
"Thus, all Philosophy is like a tree, of which Metaphysics is the root, Physics the trunk, and all the other sciences the branches that grow out of this trunk, which are reduced to three principals.., namely, Medicine, Mechanics, and Ethics. By the science of Morals, I understand the highest and most perfect which, presupposing an entire knowledge of the other sciences, is the last degree of wisdom." - Descartes

However... in the determination of ego as related to Eastern philosophies and spiritual sciences in (Self evident) comparison and study of the Self/self. The I in this case is determined to be the individual self rather than the Universal/higher Self (as in the "I" you previously suggested which in itself makes no determination of itself.)

Neither does it deny the existence of anything else. It's stated as a self-evident 'fact', and whether or not you take it be the only fact of which you can have complete certainty is for you to decide.

This might rile The Fiend a bit.. but regarding self evident facts: Self evidence.. without evidence being the same evidence (being that it is identified as being individual and unique to the personal, tho similar in that fact that each individual can have their own unique experience), may stretch the scientific hypothesis or the definition of fact.

Arguments which come about thru comparison where one decides ones experience is more real than another's, and trying to find the authoritative marker to determine reality within the boundaries of personal determination in fact and authority often confuse the ego..

Getting back to my original question:
What is the "I"
What or who is thinking?
And who or what recognizes and determines self evidence as Am-ness, and finally...what is Am-ness?

Last edited by Tutor Turtle; 01/29/12 05:46 PM. Reason: I "can" therefore I "would"

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Smolin's Second Law

"In every period and every community there is something that everybody believes, but cannot justify. If you want to understand anything, you have to start by ignoring what everyone believes, and thinking for yourself."

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I thought this article from NS might have a place in here.

Heal thyself: The power of mind over body

• 25 August 2011 by Jo Marchant

A free drug can help treat many disorders with no side effects: our minds. New Scientist reveals six ways to exploit its power

"I TALK to my pills," says Dan Moerman, an anthropologist at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. "I say, 'hey guys, I know you're going to do a terrific job'."
That might sound eccentric, but based on what we've learned about the placebo effect, there is good reason to think that talking to your pills really can make them do a terrific job. The way we think and feel about medical treatments can dramatically influence how our bodies respond.
Simply believing that a treatment will work may trigger the desired effect even if the treatment is inert - a sugar pill, say, or a saline injection. For a wide range of conditions, from depression to Parkinson's, osteoarthritis and multiple sclerosis, it is clear that the placebo response is far from imaginary. Trials have shown measurable changes such as the release of natural painkillers, altered neuronal firing patterns, lowered blood pressure or heart rate and boosted immune response, all depending on the beliefs of the patient. There is even evidence that some drugs work by amplifying a placebo effect - when people are not aware that they have been given the drugs, they stop working.
On the flip side, merely believing that a drug has harmful side effects can make you suffer them. The nocebo effect, as it's known, can even kill (New Scientist, 13 May 2009, p 30).
It has always been assumed that the placebo effect only works if people are conned into believing that they are getting an actual active drug. But now it seems this may not be true. Belief in the placebo effect itself - rather than a particular drug - might be enough to encourage our bodies to heal.
In a recent study, Ted Kaptchuk of Harvard Medical School in Boston and colleagues gave some people with irritable bowel syndrome an inert pill. They told them that the pills were "made of an inert substance, like sugar pills, that have been shown in clinical studies to produce significant improvement in IBS symptoms through mind-body self-healing processes", which is perfectly true. Despite knowing the pills were inert, on average the volunteers rated their symptoms as moderately improved after taking them, whereas those given no pills said there was only a slight change.
"Everybody thought it wouldn't happen," says study co-author Irving Kirsch, a psychologist at the University of Hull, UK. He thinks that the key was giving patients something to believe in. "We didn't just say 'here's a sugar pill'. We explained to the patients why it should work, in a way that was convincing to them."
As well as having implications for the medical profession, the study raises the possibility that we could all use the placebo effect to convince ourselves that sucking on a sweet or downing a glass of water, for example, will banish a headache, clear up a skin condition or boost the effectiveness of any drugs that we take. "Our study suggests that might indeed help," says Kirsch. While Moerman talks to his pills, Kirsch recommends visualising the desired improvement and telling yourself that something is going to get better.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
So in reference to the above post:
And considering the following statement..
And putting on *my* DA horns:

Considering lots of people make lots of money from remedies that don't work (homeopathy, faith-healing, antivaxx approach to preventing autism, facilitated communication)....

...The idea that something doesn't work for all doesn't mean it doesn't work.

The drug companies make a lot of money with drugs that sometimes work but also come with a list of possible side effects that do not, in their verbiage, inspire a great deal of confidence if one absorbs the conflicting idea into their way of thinking.

In fact wink if the idea that the mind is key in changing the way the body works, if one was to take a pill with the belief in the side effects it is very possible one will experience what the mind suggests. Leading one to experience more harm from the prescription than good.

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

"...The idea that something doesn't work for all doesn't mean it doesn't work."

The idea that something appears to work (or even does work) for a a few does not mean that "it" works. People get better on sugar pills. Scientists are trying to understand the placebo effect and make use of it. There is at least one study showing that placebo effect may even work when the patient KNOWS they are taking a placebo.

Lay article on it: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-22...tudy-finds.html

Actual study: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015591#top

One reason why we have studies - to see if an effect produced by a drug is different than the effect produced by a sugar pill - for better or worse. It's also true that many drugs have harmful side-effects and the scientists also try to study those and will usually have a list of contraindications listed for the drugs. Contraindications are conditions under which one should not take a drug. For example, some people should not take some vaccines.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/vac-admin/contraindications-vacc.htm

The brain is important - scientists know this. Whether it is the "key" is ambiguous. But scientist are trying to figure ways to trick the brain.
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmake...?printable=true

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc071927
(Yea, the "House" episode was based on real science)

OTOH, actually STUDYING something (applying science to it) is not the same as spewing stupid crap about it and pretending to do "research."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8XYUixuw8g

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

"Common Sense is Useless in Science"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60uJ7sOx_1A

For decades, I've been saying that common sense does not exist or, that if it does exist, at any rate it is not desirable. If it actually existed, then most people would have it and agree on what it means. But most people view common sense as whatever they happen to know (or believe they know) and what their circle of acquaintances agrees with. In any case, I've always been suspicious of it. When I was growing up, I was frequently accused of not having common sense by my fellow trailer park denizens and others - many with encyclopedic knowledge of false or at best unconfirmed facts. Simply, the people asserting this "knowledge" took it for granted that they possessed it to significant degree and that anyone who disagreed was an idiot. Actually researching a topic before expressing an opinion earned one special contempt - it's mere "book learning" or "you're just buying into the elitists are saying."

I reached an inescapable, if personal, conclusion. What is wanted is not COMMON sense (whatever the hell that means), but GOOD sense - and that insofar as sense is good, it was seldom very common, and insofar as it is common, it was seldom very good.

It's comforting after all these years to listen to and read scientists making exactly this point.

"Science has nothing to do with common sense. I believe it was Einstein who said that common sense is a set of prejudices we form by the age of 18. Inject somebody with some viruses and that’s going to keep you from getting sick? That’s not common sense. We evolved from single-cell organisms? That’s not common sense. By driving my car I’m going to cook Earth? None of this is common sense. The commonsense view is what we’re fighting against. So somehow you’ve got to move people away from that with these quite complicated scientific arguments based on even more complicated research. That’s why it’s such an uphill battle. People start off with a belief and a prejudice—we all do. And the job of science is to set that aside to get to the truth." &#8213; Simon Singh in Wired Magazine, Aug 2010

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 02/03/12 04:06 PM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

"...The idea that something doesn't work for all doesn't mean it doesn't work."

The idea that something appears to work (or even does work) for a a few does not mean that "it" works. People get better on sugar pills. Scientists are trying to understand the placebo effect and make use of it. There is at least one study showing that placebo effect may even work when the patient KNOWS they are taking a placebo.

Well to conversely imply that it doesn't work would be deceptive and illogical. The idea that it works for a few may even be ambiguous.
Quote:
"There has been sharp disagreement on this point, due to the fact that medical literature includes a great deal of testimony that the placebo effect routinely works 30 percent of the time, with Dr. Herbert Benson of Harvard stating that it may work up to 90 percent of the time."

http://www.wrf.org/alternative-therapies/power-of-mind-placebo.php

The brain is important - scientists know this. Whether it is the "key" is ambiguous. But scientist are trying to figure ways to trick the brain.
To say the brain is important but not key is ambiguous.
Doctors know that operating conversations have an affect on their patients. They know that if someone is under anesthesia they can hear their conversations and be affected by comments such as "Holy Crap, this person is going to be dead in a week!" The mind takes that information and processes it into similar patterns of reactive thought that would affect the overall health and state of the patient in just the same way the placebo affect works.
The funny thing is witch doctors and holistic healers have known this long before our present system of medicine figured this out.
Granted this system is not infallible but it may be that the system is not at fault but instead the state of mind of the patient.
Just how far does the mind reach in its ability to alter the way the body works? How far does it extend itself into the body-world?
Some scientists/physicists are suggesting the mind can affect the very substance within the nothing or vacuum that forms the matter in our bodies and around us.
http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/mar2/tiller.htm
http://www.mindmatter.de/resources/pdf/hileywww.pdf

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

Since the beginning of modern science, the obscurantists have borrowed scientific terminology and produced puerile diatribes that no doubt sound impressive to anyone who is completely unfamiliar with the subject.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/03/alternative_science_alternative_medicine.php
(I think this is a different Orac)

As I browsed Tiller's article, I felt a little bit like I did when I was watching that movie "Proof."

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Regarding the subject.. are you saying there is no science behind the idea or are you just needing to rant against an idea of science being available to those who see a relationship to their own ideas and experiences?

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
My fellow programmers have ideas on how to weed out the stupid crap.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/nov/16/stupid.filter
I'm reminded of a friend's comment to me shortly before I started my career: "You can't make fool-proof programs; fools are too ingenious."

Spam-filters use these techniques and they tend to work for a short while and then the spammers find ways to break through. OTOH, the spammers are consciously trying to circumvent the filters. In the case of idiot-spam, the Dunning-Kruger Effect would suggest that most of the idiots think they're geniuses. Why would they reword their brilliant theses just so it makes sense to the masses? And why would they? *COULD* they do it and without destroying the implicit stupidity of their leavings?

OTOH, there's another way of doing it:
stackoverflow.com for example is brilliant

People vote up and down on answers. Stupid questions get voted down. Stupid answers get voted down. Very good questions and answers can be marked up. This works because there are reasonably objective standards:

For questions: can others understand it and was the question important?
For answers: do they work?!

Only really asinine stuff gets deleted. Stupid questions and answers can actually stay up, but you see instantly on search results.

Of course, a weakness of any self-policing method is vulnerability to swampage by a herd of idiots to skew results. But as long as the vast majority of participants aren't goofballs, the quality stays high.

Interestingly, stackoverflow has related sites (which I have not used yet). Click on http://stackoverflow.com/faq and go to the bottom of the page. You can see there are sites on other things that are interesting to techie types - gaming, science fiction, physics, various computer specific things. I tend to get quick, clear, working answers on stackoverflow - not sure about the others.

Of course these are not mutually exclusive - any more than these methods preclude all others.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.