Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
If anyone is still thinking about the mantle, there's an interesting article at

About.com: http://earth-pages.co.uk

Probing the Earth’s mantle using noise
Posted on December 4, 2012 by Steve Drury.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Bill S, when I followed your link I got an article about papers being referenced in Peer-reviewed journals. Was that your intent, or is the link corrupted?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Sorry about that, Rose. I usually check my links before posting, but I was hurrying.

If you follow that link, and scroll down far enough you should come to the article about the mantle.

Let me know if you still have trouble and I'll set my son on it.

There never was nothing.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Pre, I don't recall claiming that anything had replaced mantle currents, or that mantle currents provided the force that moved the continents.

I think gravity is the only force I have actually suggested as being largely responsible for moving continents and their underlying material.

So, gravity is responsible for moving the Himalayas vertically, a few kilometers, against the force of gravity?

Good one Bill.

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Pre are you saying that gravity cannot cause things to rise?

There never was nothing.
P
OP Offline
P

Since you claim that gravity is largely responsible for moving continents, I want you to demonstrate exactly how gravity is responsible for moving the Himalayas a few kilometers vertically (against the force of gravity).

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: preearth

Since you claim that gravity is largely responsible for moving continents, I want you to demonstrate exactly how gravity is responsible for moving the Himalayas a few kilometers vertically (against the force of gravity).

One of the factors giving rise (pun intended) to the Himalayas is the upward displacement of lighter sediment by heavier sediment. Note the words 'lighter' and 'heavier', Pre. Ring any bells? Yep, you got it. It's all to do with gravity. No point in talking to you though. I'll just post this useful link for interested readers:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/everestbeyond/size/size.html

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
P
OP Offline
P

You don't have a clue,.... do you?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Spreading ridges are areas of higher than average heat flow, which is why they are raised relative to surrounding areas. Partial melting in the LV zone allows lithospheric plates to slip down-slope under gravity.

New material fills the resulting gap. Since the Earth appears to remain at a constant size, this mechanism needs to be balanced.

At destructive boundaries GST has clearly established that cold lithospheric material descends under gravity to considerable depths (cf. an earlier post).

Gravity can, thus, be seen to be the driving force moving the lithospheric plates.

Orogeny is a natural result of collisions between areas of continental crust involving thrusting and uplift.

A quid pro quo question.

If the Himalayas rose suddenly, as a result of an impact; how have rivers managed to cut through the range?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Is this another question you are not going to answer?

There never was nothing.
P
OP Offline
P

Nothing you just wrote answers the question.

Originally Posted By: Bill S
Gravity can, thus, be seen to be the driving force moving the lithospheric plates.

This just proves your "logic" is totally illogical.

So, gravity helps pull a mass downwards and you use this to "explain" how a mass (the Himalayas) moves upward. Maybe you should explain exactly how this happens,... oh,... wasn't that the question in the first place?

If the Himalayas rose suddenly, as a result of an impact; how have rivers managed to cut through the range?

Large impacts create large cracks in land masses. Rivers use these.

The question is peripheral and depends on context. For example, the moon's gravity causes the sea to rise in the Earth's gravitational well, but the sea falls in the Moon's gravitational well.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
N
N

I've gone through all of preearth's threads.
The answer (since you won't get one) is no, he will not answer. Troll of the highest order.

Interesting enough ideas, in the fact that they cause people to brush up on tectonics in order to slam his in your face 'I'm right because I say I'm right' mentality.

Laziness breeds innovation
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Pre

Of course, it's easy just to scoff, and never to answer questions, but such tactics are usually the province of the ignorant and bigoted.

Quote:
Large impacts create large cracks in land masses. Rivers use these.

You are not a geologist, are you? If you were you would realise that there would be a significant difference between a valley that started its life as a suddenly developed "crack" in an instantaneously formed mountain range, and one that had been gradually eroded by a river over a long period of time.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Bill S, Pre is no geologist and clearly no other respectable kind of '-ist'. From day one, he's succeeded in setting himself up to look like a bigoted ignoramus. I say 'look like' because nobody can really be that stupid. He is simply, as has been stated many many times, a troll with an attitude. That said, if you want to exercise your right to feed him, go ahead - one would probably miss the entertainment if he were not clinging to SAGG like a limpet in love.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bill, troll feeding is not high on my agenda, but the subject interests me, and where else could you find questions like these to ponder.

"a limpet in love". Now there's a thought! In fact it could be a good subject for a PhD thesis. smile

There never was nothing.
N
N
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Bill S, Pre is no geologist and clearly no other respectable kind of '-ist'. From day one, he's succeeded in setting himself up to look like a bigoted ignoramus. I say 'look like' because nobody can really be that stupid. He is simply, as has been stated many many times, a troll with an attitude. That said, if you want to exercise your right to feed him, go ahead - one would probably miss the entertainment if he were not clinging to SAGG like a limpet in love.

Ooh, what about "pessimist"? Antagonist, or defeatist?

Although those are rarely respectable. Maybe amongst their own kind? Maybe I'm just trying to be an optimist...

Laziness breeds innovation
P
OP Offline
P
"a limpet in love".

Yeap, can't keep away from the place.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
P
OP Offline
P
How many members you got now? The scienceagogo staff and two others? Not bad for the last 3 years.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.