Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Irritants such as cigarette smoke, dusty homes and human dandruff can increase inflammation in feline lungs and worsen asthma in cats."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051019/hl_nm/asthma_cats_dc;_ylt=Al7Pzl7IVVBMLZ1yHNOtLNQR.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3czJjNGZoBHNlYwM3NTE-

Betcha didn't know cats get asthma. smile

No, did not know. I have asthma, not a bad case however. Triggers for me are: mold, dust, some cats and some dogs. Bright sunlight tends to make me sneeze (when transitioning from dark to a light exposure). = "Photic sneeze reflex: A disorder, also known as the achoo syndrome, characterized by nearly uncontrollable paroxysms of sneezing provoked in a reflex fashion by the sudden exposure of a dark-adapted subject to intensely bright light, usually to brilliant sunlight. The number of successive sneezes is usually 2 or 3, but can be up to about 40. (The condition was once called the helio-ophthalmic outburst syndrome.)

The photic sneeze reflex is much more common than has been generally recognized. In one study it was found in 23% of medical students. The syndrome is one of the most frequent of all known genetic traits. It is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner, affecting males and females alike, who have a 50:50 chance of passing the achoo gene to each of their children who will have the disorder. The syndrome was first described in 1978."

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15801

I have a nice collection of shades, cool

Sincerely,

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've heard of this disorder before. Does it happen every time you make the transition or only on occasion?

only on occasion when it is really bright out; and when the transition to the sunlight was made with haste.

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mung you are picking up ... thank you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mung:
I also have asthma, triggered most frequently by tobacco smoke, dust, pollen, and certain perfumes and colognes. I cannot use most fabric softeners because of the perfume in them. I recently bought flea drops for my cats, the kind you put on their shoulderblades so they can't lick it off, and it was strongly scented. Poor cat was miserable and so was I. I could not imagine why such a product was scented with perfume like that. Cats are naturally clean animals; they have to be because they are predators and odors are a "dead giveaway" (pardon the pun). smile

Other animals, like dogs and horses, can develop asthma as well. It provides some animal models for research on new medications.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am surprised at the extent of Asthmatic reasons.
How much can you avoid in the real world?
Are we loosing our immunity?
Every other small irrirtant is becoming a disease...
Come on we can do better than than.
We were made to live in the Real World full of everything which it produces...It protects itself by coming in contact by what it produces..
The suddenness of a secluded disease can take its toll beyond the imagination of ManKind.
Get the exposure or restore your own strength..
Visit the Doctor of every type(Allopathic,Homeo,Ayurvedic etc)and they will tell what to do ...
Wish you a healthy life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.