Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
'Finiteness theory' is new hypothesis put forth by me. It visualizes that matter has a fundamental particle having a mass 1x10^(-47) kg and radius 3x10^(-23)m. It always remains moving at the speed 'c'. The motion creates a force of reaction, which manifests as gravitational and electromagnetic forces. When the fundamental particles integrate, the energy and force are transferred to the system formed, and so the 'natural energy' and the 'energy equivalent of the natural force' of any system thus formed is (mc^2)/2.

The fundamental particles integrate into electron-positron pairs, and these integrate into neutrons. Neutrons change into atoms, and the atoms integrate into molecules and huge masses of atoms/molecules. These masses form orbiting systems (like the galaxies and galaxy-clusters), and the orbiting systems together integrate into a pulsating system that we call the universe. Thus the universe is matter in its finite form.

Only the barest outline of the 'Finteness Theory' is given above. The theory actually includes the theoretical and mathematical explanations of how the integration happens, how matter interacts at different levels, how e-m radiations are formed from the particles, etc. The theory is speculative in nature; however, if any one is interested in the details, my book is available.

Though my theory is one among the many speculative theories, it differs from the rest in that my theory is all inclusive; it deals with everything from the fundamental particles to the universe itself, whereas, the other speculative theories cover only certain specific areas. I will post some mathematical proofs (subsequently) in this thread to justify my claim that my theory should be taken seriously and evaluated properly.

Last edited by finiter; 11/23/11 03:43 PM.
F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
As per the Finiteness Theory, the natural energy of any body formed from the fundamental particles is mc^2/2. In the case electron/positron, half of the natural energy remains inside as internal vibrations. This internal energy can be regarded as the potential energy and it is this potential energy that creates electrostatic force. This gives an immediate mathematical result: "The energy equivalent of the electrostatic force created by an electron or positron cannot be grater than mc^2/4; or the maximum force is equal to mc^2/4." This is verifiable.

The force is the maximum when two electrons touch each other, and this force should be equal to the potential energy of two electrons. So the theory predicts that Ee^2/2r = mc^2/2 (where 'E' is the electrostatic constant, 'e' the unit charge, m and r the mass and radius of electron. All these are known values, and so can be easily verified. Both are equal to 4.09x10^(-14)J.

Thus the prediction is correct and so this can be regarded as a mathematical proof of my theory. I would request Bill Gill to offer his comments regarding this.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, I haven't figured out how to determine the potential energy when 2 electrons are in contact, so I just figured the force between them. The following are my results.

To figure the force I just used Coulomb's Law. Of course I don't think Coulomb's Law is really correct, it assumes a point source and a significant distance between the charges. Hopefully this will be close enough for a good guess.

Coulombs law
F = [k(e)*q1*q2]/r^2

I assumed that when they are touching the distance between the 2 centers is twice the radius of the electron.

Electron radius < 10^(-18)m

This is an upper estimate based on classical physics, where the electron is regarded as a particle.

k(e) is the proportionality constant

k(e) = 9*10^9*N*m^2/C^2

electron charge = 1.602176565(35)×(10-19)*C
where C is the unit of charge the coulomb

q1 and q2 are the same, the charge on an electron.

q1 = q2 =1.6*10^(-19)C

Doing the calculations stepwise.

q1 * q2 = {[1.6*10^(-19)]^2}*C^2 = [2.56*10^(-38)]*C^2

r^2 = [2*10^(-18)]^2 = (4*10^-36) m^2

Then the force between 2 electrons in contact is:

F = {[(9*10^9)*N*m^2]/C^2}*(2.56*10^(-38)*c^2)/[4*10^(-36)*m^2]

F = -23*10^7 N

The minus sign is because the force is repulsive.

That is a large force, if you can show that it provides the same potential energy as your hypothesis then wonderful, you have recreated an already known value, using an otherwise non-standard hypothesis. Now do us another one, such as the double slit experiment.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Excuse me if my explanation lacked clarity. Putting in all the calculations as you have done is a time consuming effort. And you have taken pains to do it. However, what I have stated is the 'energy equivalent' of the force, and not the force. So in the denominator, you have to use 'r' and not r^2. Not only that, the classical radius of the electron is 2.8x10^(-15)m, and that value is to be used. Then the result will be 4x10^(-14)J.

I am proposing (based on my theory) that potential energy of an electron is mc^2/4, half its natural energy (Energy is a quality of matter and the natural energy of any body is mc^2/2, where 'm' is the mass). So the potential energy of two electrons is mc^2/2. This is also equal to 4x10^(-14)J. That is what I have stated.

Please verify. Regarding a double slit experiment, I can give only a theoretical explanation. Another mathematical explanation regarding the relation between the masses of electron and neutron will be posted tomorrow.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: finiter
Not only that, the classical radius of the electron is 2.8x10^(-15)m, and that value is to be used. Then the result will be 4x10^(-14)J.

I am proposing (based on my theory) that potential energy of an electron is mc^2/4, half its natural energy (Energy is a quality of matter and the natural energy of any body is mc^2/2, where 'm' is the mass). So the potential energy of two electrons is mc^2/2. This is also equal to 4x10^(-14)J. That is what I have stated.

In regard to the size of the electron you said the value was available on the web, and that is where I got mine. If you want to use a different value then you need to justify it. In fact of course the electron doesn't have a defined size.

You say the natural energy of any body is mc^2/2. I assume that the c is speed of light. But according to special relativity e = mc^2. Where did you get the division by 2. Then you say that the potential energy of 2 photons is the same thing. I would think that the potential energy of 2 photons would be twice the energy of 1.

I really need to know the derivation of the value you give for the potential energy, since it seems you are using a brand new idea for it.

Things being how they are I will probably just ignore any more postings from you until you actually do come up with something that really matches what the rest of the world believes.

Bill Gill

F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
For the classical radius of electron please refer the following link, it gives the value as 2.8x10^(-15)m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electron_radius

Being an alternate theory, the explanations are different. As you said, I am using 'a brand new idea'. In my theory matter cannot be converted into energy because energy is a quality of matter just like its mass and volume. I propose that motion (kinetic energy) at the speed 'c' (speed of light in vacuum)is the fundamental quality of matter. That means the natural energy of any body is mc^2/2 (using the equation for kinetic energy). However, in any body part of this energy remains inside the body and part as speed. In electron the division is 50:50, ie, half the natural energy remains inside electron. The energy that remains inside the electron is what I refer to as its potential energy, and this is equal to mc^2/4. So for two electrons, the total potential energy is (mc^2/4) + (mc^2/4) = mc^2/2.

Because of the conceptual difference, there will be some confusion regarding some terms used. My theory does not deny any observational evidence available so far, but explains the same on the basis of the concept that energy is just a quality like mass or volume.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: finiter

In my theory matter cannot be converted into energy because energy is a quality of matter just like its mass and volume.

So you don't deny any observations hey ... then how does a nuclear reactor make energy if you can't convert matter to energy?????

So explaination please how does a nuclear reactor work under your theory.

The core rods get lighter and we definitely have energy ... so lets hear you alternate explaination.

Ohhh wait let me have a guess in your theory weight is a ficticuous thing.

Last edited by Orac; 11/28/11 08:52 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
A very good question,Orac. What happens during a nuclear reaction? The present explanation is that matter/mass gets converted into energy. Definitely, it agrees with the observations; we get energy and there is loss in mass (the energy released is in the form of electromagnetic radiations which in turn heats up the core; this heat is used for generating electrical energy).

However, based on my theory, the radiations are streams of fundamental particles of matter, which always move at the speed 'c' (the energy possessed by the radiations is kinetic energy). During nuclear reaction, the internal energy of the nucleus gets released in the form of kinetic energy of radiations (particles of matter). Thus, the nucleus releases particles (of matter), and consequently there is a slight loss in mass. When the radiations are absorbed, the kinetic energy of the radiations is transferred to the molecules, which starts vibrating (gets heated). This heat is used for generating electrical energy.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
ROFL ... right so the nucleus changes mass .. and you cant think of a few slight problems :-)

Do you expect us to this garbage seriously?

This isn't even pseudoscience ... it's trash.

Pointless discussing it if thats your level of science.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Orac, I read your post (41639) before taking the dog for a walk. I like to have something to think about while walking, so I tried to come up with a response. smile

Originally Posted By: O
The core rods get lighter and we definitely have energy……….weight is a fictitious thing.

In Finiter’s theory mass, volume and energy are qualities of matter.

Weight does not need to be fictitious, it is simply a factor of the influence of gravity on matter; or, from a different perspective, the influence of matter on the geometry of spacetime (OK, Finiter won't like that bit).

If you have a mass of matter, and remove some mass, in a gravitational field, your matter becomes lighter, because you have removed some of something that is one of its qualities.

Energy influences the geometry of spacetime, if energy is simply a quality of matter, some could be removed and the matter would appear lighter.

In this scenario no matter/energy exchange would be necessary, but the observed physics would be explained.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac

Orac, the problem here is that we are talking to a crackpot. There are many kinds of crackpot, but here we get science crackpots. Crackpots always have a response to any kind of criticism of their work. They do not, in fact they cannot, provide an actual mathematical explanation of their idea. When you challenge them to do so they wave their hands in the air and point out how it works in words. Then when you ask for a mathematical formulation they give you something that at first looks like it might be good, but then they say that their use of some important word doesn't mean what you think it means, they are using it in some other way. And they never give you an actual mathematical derivation of their values. In fact they are so convinced of the accuracy of their thinking that you will never convince them otherwise.

It is easy to get so wrapped up in trying to show them where they are wrong that you keep on trying after it has become obvious that you cannot show them. A few times I have tried to show where Finiter is wrong so that anybody else reading his posts will understand that what he is saying is not science. For some people it doesn't seem to help.

Trying to have a dialog with a crackpot is useless, it just encourages him. The only way to quiet a crackpot is to ignore him. Then he will go away and try to find some other venue to display his great understanding of how physics works. So in future I will do just that.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The only way to quiet a crackpot is to ignore him.

I guess that tells me something about the "divided universe" idea.

Finiter, as one crackpot to another, give 'em some maths. I shall have to ask for an explanation, but thare yer go!

BTW Bill, that's sexist, I'm sure there must be some female crackpots out there somewhere. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Crackpots of the world unite,
We have a role to fill,
There’s just a chance we could be right,
Despite Orac and Bill.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Bill S seriously I don't mind crackpots there is a long list of crackpots in science who were right.

Without exception however those crackpots ideas were not trivially debunked and most were on a specific small area of science.

So take our latest problem we now have nucleus of different weight so we have no standard "atomic weight" of any element. You now have to rewrite most of the entire field of chemistry which is based upon the premise that an atom of element weighs the same and by reverse molar weights of substances. You even seperate elements based upon there weight but apparently not we got that all wrong.

When a theory requires you to rewite GR/SR, QM, Nuclear theory and Chemistry science thats pretty much all of science and goes way beyond crackpot science I would call it science fiction or garbage take your choice.

I am with Bill G done discussing it because it's theatre of the absurd.

Last edited by Orac; 11/29/11 01:50 AM.

F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
ROFL ... right so the nucleus changes mass .. and you cant think of a few slight problems :-)

Do you expect us to this garbage seriously?

This isn't even pseudoscience ... it's trash.

Orac, you can call it garbage (there are persons who call the whole of physics garbage); that is your right. Calling names can be a part of discussion, I agree. But you should provide logical reasons for that if it should be regarded as a discussion. Please come up with unambiguous valid reasons for calling it garbage.

F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: Bill

Trying to have a dialog with a crackpot is useless, it just encourages him. The only way to quiet a crackpot is to ignore him. Then he will go away and try to find some other venue to display his great understanding of how physics works. So in future I will do just that.Bill Gill

Dear Bill Gill, I would have appreciated your stand if you have tried to point out what is the mistake in the mathematical proof I have provided. I gave all the explanations, but you did not care to work it out. If you have cared to work out, then you would have got the result. After that you could have pointed out where I have gone wrong conceptually.

The problem is that you are not willing to go to the very end of the discussion. You fear that it will encourage me. I do not know why you should fear that. Do you think that 'pseudo science' will win if it is given a chance to be discussed? No, my dear BG.

Actually it is the crackpot or the pseudo-scientist who should fear discussion. He may be cornered at any time, and so he will drift away from serious discussions. For that, he will resort to name calling and rhetoric, and thus cleverly change the subject.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
The problem is clearly explained in the post above you now just killed all chemistry. It no longer works because you just killed all atomic weights of elements and all molar mass values.

You now have mass spectroscopy, equilibrium states, boiling points, solute theory, ideal gas and liquid equations and countless more things that rely on these to fix up.

So aside from now having to go through radioactive decay theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay) and explain what alpha and beta emissions etc and why we see atoms changing etc

You now have to also go and fix up chemistry because none of it's main qualitative theories work.

I think that pretty much means you have to rewite every aspect of science for your theory to be true. Should keep you busy and away from us for a little while, now off you go and fix up all the things you broke.

Last edited by Orac; 11/29/11 06:09 AM.

F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
In this scenario no matter/energy exchange would be necessary, but the observed physics would be explained.

BS, you got the point. Is it that only a crackpot can understand another crackpot? However, in real world, the reverse thing happens: one crackpot will accuse the other of 'crack-pottery' (with all his might). So, are we not really crackpots (as maintained by Orac and BG)?

You asked me to give some maths. I have actually given one. I will repeat it for you

My proposal: Energy is the quality of matter, and the fundamental particle always moves at the speed 'c'. So the natural energy of any body is mc^2/2. In electron, half of this remains as internal energy; let us call it potential energy. So the potential energy of 'two' electrons is mc^2/2. The electrostatic force is due to this potential energy.

If the above proposal is correct, then the energy equivalent of the maximum force between two electrons should be equal to mc^2/2 (the potential energy of two electrons). This can be verified. The force is maximum when the electrons touch each other such that the distance is equal to 2r, where 'r' is the radius of electron. Calculate the force (energy equivalent) and see whether it agrees.

But the counter argument made by BG is that energy is to be calculated using Einstein's equation E=mc^2, and so my argument is wrong. Again he says that potential energy is not calculated in that way, and so I am wrong again, and so he will not discuss it further(that means will not verify the maths).

I put forth an alternate proposal, then the argument was 'that is not enough', 'provide some mathematical proof'. When I provided a mathematical proof, he just says that my proposal goes against existing ones. What is the logic in it? Can an alternate proposal be the same as the existing one?

Last edited by finiter; 11/29/11 11:20 AM.
F
finiter Offline OP
OP Offline
F
The problem is clearly explained in the post above you now just killed all chemistry. It no longer works because you just killed all atomic weights of elements and all molar mass values.

I just do not know what you mean. During nuclear fission, a massive nucleus splits, and the mass of the two nuclei thus formed is less than the mass of the one that has split. So there is actual loss of mass from the nucleus. That being the fact, why do you say that I killed atomic weights. Be logical.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Seriously finiter I realize you don't understand it ... the fact is you will never understand it because you don't even remotely try to understand current science.

I saw your inability to understand the most basic things in QM and I am not going to start discussing nuclear theory and chemistry theories with you.

There really is not much to tell you your theory is trivially wrong if you care to actually do some reading of science observations which you will never accept and I am not wasting my time to discuss it with you. Others may have time to continue on discussions with your theory but without you willing to go do at least some minimal background work I see it as an excercise in futility and quite simply this theory isn't worth that much effort. So I shall leave you and Bill S to it.

Last edited by Orac; 11/29/11 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.