Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 82 of 120 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 119 120
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
CONGRATULATIONS to REV for 3,000,000 hits!!!!

That is REMARKABLE!!!!

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Ellis

That is REMARKABLE!!!!
And the following is also REMARKABLE: In three days, 27,000 new hits have been added to the total.

Another stat is: There are now 2,634 Registered Users.

All this prompts me to ask: How come there are so few posters?

POSTERS, WHERE ARE YOUR QUESTIONS?
=================================
Have you no curiosity? If so, what does this say about it?
By the way, notwithstanding the above, the ongoing interest in this NQS thread is much appreciated.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Just one more statistic: Rev has reached 1700 posts. Considering the average length, that's quite a lot of words of wisdom.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A DIALOG ABOUT RELIGION AND THE STORY OF MONEY AND THE POLITICAL ECONOMY. With this in mind I post the following. This morning, on The CBC's The Current, I heard an interview with NF:
Quote:
Niall Ferguson

Niall Campbell Douglas Ferguson (born April 18, 1964) is a British historian, professor and television pundit. His specialty is financial and economic history, particularly hyperinflation and the bond markets, as well as the history of colonialism. . Ferguson, who was born in Glasgow, is the Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History at Harvard University as well as William Ziegler Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School, and also currently the Philippe Roman Chair in History and International Affairs at the London School of Economics.

He was educated at the private Glasgow Academy in Scotland, and at Magdalen College, Oxford. During the 2008 U.S. presidential election, Ferguson advised Senator John McCain's campaign. In the UK, Ferguson is probably best known as the author of Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World. In 2008, Ferguson published The Ascent of Money:…

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rev

This is a question that puzzles me. Could it be that those of us who do post are so dull that we fail to inspire potential posters?

If that is the case, what about the large number of people who have registered, but have never posted? Surely they could see what the threads were like before they registered.

Whatever the reason there a 1,000 or so members out there who could give us an answer.

Come on folks! Give us a boost, before the "old faithfuls" really turn into "old fuddy-duddies", kicking around the same old topics.... infinitely!

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
... This is a question that puzzles me....
Come on folks! Give us a boost, before the "old faithfuls" really turn into "old fuddy-duddies", kicking around the same old topics.... infinitely!
BS, I suspect that--even when anonymity is respected--a lot of people fear the act of writing to public forums. Posters who flame a lot, and put-down-artists keep a lot of people silent.

For example, compared to the number of readers, how many people actually write to the NY Times?
Compared to the number of people who are artistic, how many people actually do some art?
Look at the number of people who avoid putting their X on a ballot at election time.
Many have one or more of the following attitudes:
1. What's-the-use!
2. I'm too busy!
3. I want to be left alone.
4. Let George do it!
5. Who cares!
6. I just enjoy reading and listening.

Any other suggestions?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I think option 6 is the only one of those that could logically apply to people who register but never post. Even that doesn't make complete sense, because they could read without registering. Perhaps we should not expect logic on a forum on which QM rules. smile

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
The other choice is they are quitely laughing at us smirk.

Why are they all looking at me .... stop it.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The other choice is they are quitely laughing at us

True, but you don't have to register to smirk complacently.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
MAY I INTRODUCE A VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC: The Right of terminally ill People, or people in extreme Pain and Suffering, to Die With the Help of An Assistant.

The following comment, which I quote, appeared in a letter in the recent edition of the United Church Observer, Canada:

To which I responded: Sheila, you write, "Should we/will we be allowed to have a physician assisted death when the suffering is great and when there is no hope for recovery? I hope so. The alternative is not to have a fulfilling life, but rather to have prolonged suffering. There is some suffering that only death can end."
=============
Good comments, Sheila, thanks. I hope the following true story--and there are others like it I could tell--helps. It contains information, written from the point of view of an octogenarian, which I believe could help us all have the kind of "fulfilling life" you mention. I happen to believe that, like birth, a fulfilling death is part of the whole process we call life.

The following happened several years ago, in the fall of the year, while I was the minister at Willowdale United Church.

The phone rang. "Rev. King, my name is ... I am not a member of your church, but mother is. May I come and see you at your office this evening." the young man said in a voice filled with distress. He went on, " It is about my mother. In her late seventies, she is in hospital, seriously ill and in great pain and distress about what is ahead of her. She asked if I would speak to you."

Later, in my office, the young man gave me the details of her condition. He said, "You may recall that mother is a diabetic. Awhile back she lost one of her legs. Just this week, her surgeon told her that he will have to amputate the other leg. On hearing this she said to me just this afternoon: 'Why doesn't God take me? I do not want to have to go through another winter like the one I just suffered. I hate to bother him with this medical problem, but would you call the Rev. King' for me?"

"Rev. King" he said, "I live a distance from here and am not active in any church, but through mother I have heard that, based on a program you call pneumatology, you have preached about and given many lectures on the power of what you call pneumatherapy--something to do with a special kind of hypnosis-based prayer. I realize you take a rational, non-magical approach to healing. So do you think this could help mother deal with the pain, suffering and distress she is now experiencing?"

I agreed to visit his mother as soon as I could.

Soon after talking to the son I spoke to the mother at the hospital. about about what her son had told me. Then I engaged her in a very frank, open and even pleasant conversation about how she felt about her life and the choices we make--physically, mentally and spiritually. We talked about her family, about death, dying, and her thoughts about life eternal.

With her permission I said let me refresh your memory about the kind of hypnosis-based guided and meditative prayer I taught in the classes on holism. This being done I said: Now let's do it and I will give you the opportunity to add your thoughts as we go along. The process I call pneumatherapy took about twenty five minutes.

To those who ask questions about pneumatherapy and the healing arts I always make it clear: Yes, I often consult with the few medical doctors who show an interest. Some, including nature paths, chiropractors and the like, have even taken the program. Some are on a special board set up by the church board.

Two days later, I got the following call from the son: "Rev. King, I cannot thank you enough. This morning I got a call. The doctor's nurse called me. She said: 'Early this morning your mother died, peacefully, in her sleep.' "

Three days later, at the funeral, he and I shared with all present what had happened.

Yes, I agree: Family, friends and all, including good practitioners of the healing arts, have a role to play in how we live in and exit this physical life. But let us never forget the specific role that, by the power of the Holy Spirit (Pneuma) those who say we are servants--lay and clergy--of the Great Physician can play.

For more information you can check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatology
http://www.lindsayking.ca

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Rev, perhaps you could tell us more about the "Great Physician", lest the more sceptical be tempted to think you are referring to some personalised God figure.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Rev, perhaps you could tell us more about the "Great Physician", lest the more sceptical be tempted to think you are referring to some personalised God figure.
In my opinion, Jesus was truly a great and fully-human being who, like many before and since, chose the way of service not of mastery.

Perhaps the 20 years of his life, not mentioned in the Bible and about which we know zero, were spent by him traveling to the far east and learning from the ancients there some of the wisdom of the ages.

THE ART OF HEALING USING PNEUMATHERAPY
I am willing to accept that, long before words like pneumatology, psychology and somatology--and the ideas associated with them--were invented, Jesus used this knowledge to help heal the spirits and minds of people, which resulted in what we call physical health.

Interestingly, in 1 Thessalonians 5:23, Paul did write, in Greek, about our need to be aware of the power there is in the PNEUMA, PSYCHE AND SOMA (spirit, mind and body) to heal one another.

Any readers interested in learning how anyone can learn how learn and benefit from the art of pneumatherapy, keep in touch.

Megastar
Megastar
Recently, to Atheist/Agnostic Forum, which I frequent, I posted the following topic:

The Late CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS WAS NOT AN ATHEIST... he was an anti-theist.

Immediately, from a grumpy atheist, I got the following quick response:

"I don't believe you." I asked:
===============================

Then, will you believe a CBC podcast which I heard?

Right at this moment I am listening, by podcast, to a recent edition of Q--a news and interviews program--hosted by Jian Ghomeshi.

JG opened the program by referring to the death of Hitchens. He said that he was, "...one of the world's most outspoken atheists, though he often used the stronger term "anti-theist"... "

Later, JG played an interview recorded in Toronto, June, 2009. Christopher Hitchens actually begins the interview by saying: "I should start by saying that I am more of an anti-theist than an atheist ..."

He went on to explain that the whole idea of there being any kind of god, even a good one, was repulsive to him; that he had no need for a BIG brother, let alone a loving father.

It is up to us who created gods and religions in our own images to get on with life, and the passing on of our genes, with the help of good literature, the ironies of life, love and the like. I agree. Here is the podcast, the one which mentions CH,Dec 13:

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/

Long before I had ever heard of CH, as a unitheist/panentheist I was an anti-traditional theist and started looking for a more enlightened kind of theology--the kind I love much in the same way CH said that he loved good literature.
===================
I forgot to mention:This thread is no registering over 3,100,000 hits.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
...over 3,100,000 hits.

That has to say something about the popularity of "God" in the realms of science.

Does the Guinness Book of Records have an entry for the longest thread on a discussion forum?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Originally Posted By: Ellis

That is REMARKABLE!!!!
And the following is also REMARKABLE: In three days, 27,000 new hits have been added to the total.

Another stat is: There are now 2,634 Registered Users.

POSTERS, WHERE ARE YOUR QUESTIONS?
=================================
Have you no curiosity? If so, what does this say about it?
By the way, notwithstanding the above, the ongoing interest in this NQS thread is much appreciated.

One could say that when one walks into a church where their beliefs are counter to the majority that it is pointless to speak to deaf ears.
What one assumes is dialogue, another will see as an affront to ones good nature and beliefs of behavior when opinions are not accepted without the need to define the person or their opinions as being relevant to ones sense of reality.

I have my own thoughts, that are relevant to the direct experience of Spirit and or of God. One can speak a multitude of words which are full of good intent, but without the wisdom of direct experience words are just full of belief... which is constantly changing.
In the beliefs of the those who have good intentions, are more often than not, the lack of experience where divine nature is missing in those things which are necessary for spiritual awakening and growth. A person will easily reject all thoughts which clash with their sense of reality as they experience it. Not being open to something other than ones own beliefs and idealisms one will close themselves off to something that seems counter and even offensive to ones pride and self identification.
Right Rev? You know how to quickly apply the ignore button to those things and those people whom you have found as counter productive to your beliefs and your agenda, and you enjoy speaking out how you can so easily reject that which does not please your senses.

The subject of Religion is controversial, as is the subject of spirituality and God. Where dialogue begins with someone who would boast incessantly of personal achievement, one might not want to step into the realm of self/spiritual comparison.

One example I like to use in describing the ignorance of subtle realities is the story of Lazarus. He was sick and dying, and his sisters approached Jesus to come right away, to heal him like he had so many others. Jesus was a friend of the family and they figured he would come to their aid without any delay, but Jesus told the sisters to go home and wait for him since he had business to finish.
During the time that Jesus (the great healer) had taken to finish his business and arrive at the home of Lazarus, Lazarus had died. His sisters full of emotion only wailed that he had taken too long and had missed the opportunity to turn something so wrong into something right.
Jesus only shook his head and told them to wake up and see the truth in what had taken place. "Life" he said, "Is in the spirit and the body is only clothing for the soul." Jesus knew there was something unfinished in Lazarus life/sickness, and it had to play itself out as karma (life desire and self created lesson). Only then could Jesus step in to bring Lazarus back to life to begin his ministry. Even a God does not interfere with free will. Jesus then commanded Lazarus to awaken from his death/sleep and then ministered/taught Lazarus to minister the Truth to others that is the reality of life without relative boundaries of belief and opinion.
Lazarus then took his ability to raise the dead and heal the sick out into the world.

A friend once said to me: "in order to send an arrow forward you have to pull the bow back with enough insight and energy to propel it toward its goal."

When you are concerned about saving others and cannot save yourself, from the illusions of your own beliefs (in that you have decided what God is and isn't) you cannot help another. At least not directly anyway.. you can be a great mirror of ego claiming wisdom thru delusion however. In that, there is always utility in everything that takes place.
God is not always orderly, nor does God always look good to the ego. In fact utility can be extremely repulsive to the ego.

Spiritualism can be alot like the welfare system. Those who are blinded and immersed in their own idealisms, try to bring their idea of salvation to the people who aren't ready to make a change in their beliefs or ideas about their lives. Sometimes, those approached by such systems take what they can from the system, but inside they continue as they always have until such a time that they will make a change for themselves to step forward and take control of their lives.
Until then they allow others to pour forth all of their energy to give what they think is nurturing to the soul.
The soul which is much bigger than the ministers belief already has a plan, but most spiritualists will assume they could act as God in God's wisdom and possibly do better than God to change the world where God has done such a poor job of things.
In truth these people need each other to see themselves as one would look into a mirror. However one does not always see past the surface appearances of ones own blind immersion into the personal reality of belief. Until one rises above belief, one does not see or hear very clearly.
Hence the saying: "Those with the eyes to see will see, and the ears to hear will comprehend."

People are easily distracted and often assume that those who make the most noise are the ones with the most to offer. And those who make the most noise are often needing the most attention and recognition to claim their righteousness.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
[quote=Ellis] There are now 2,634 Registered Users.

Could be this thread is heavily moderated (censored?)

Tutor Turtle #41863 12/22/11 03:30 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Oh and by the way... a lot of those hits might be the Reverend checking to see how many hits there are. whistle
He does like to visit other websites and toot his own horn to the extent of advertising himself and this forum thread, as his own pride and joy.

Turner #41865 12/22/11 01:59 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
A lot of people of Rev's age give computers a wide berth. He he posts in a wide range ao threads, and initiated a thread that has passed the 3,000,000 hits. As someone who is not so far behind in age, I would say that's worth a word of congratulation.

As one who is not above "stirring" the old chap gently on odd occasions, I have to say it's a shame that all posters on SAGG cannot behave with the same courtesy.

Stick at it Rev, go for another 3m, even if 2m of them are yours. laugh

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #41867 12/22/11 05:18 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
A lot of people of Rev's age give computers a wide berth. He he posts in a wide range ao threads, and initiated a thread that has passed the 3,000,000 hits. As someone who is not so far behind in age, I would say that's worth a word of congratulation.
I can respect your thoughts. Some don't work as hard as he does to draw recognition to themselves, and by tooting their own horn and in as many places as he does to advertise his opinion of himself. I thought that was worth some recognition as well. I realize that in different circles this kind of behavior creates different experiences and reactions.

As one who is not above "stirring" the old chap gently on odd occasions, I have to say it's a shame that all posters on SAGG cannot behave with the same courtesy.

The world is a diverse reflection of beliefs and experiences. If one decides for themselves what is appropriate and that definition is exclusive to a particular belief system then one finds themselves closing the door to intellectual discussion and instead opening the door to emotional reaction.
I found some close the door too easily because they fail to hear.
There are probably less things in the world to fear and react to than are imagined.

Turner #41871 12/23/11 04:21 AM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Personally I agree with Bill S that the Rev is to be admired for his get up and go posting here. And if some of the 3 mil. are his posts , well good on him for caring. I have often disagreed with his points of view, but he defends them with great courtesy and considerable skill and I like that. I actually have TT on ignore on my computer because of the long unfocused posts he/she used to make. Rev's posts enjoy the advantage of clarity even if I sometimes find them annoying!

So- keep going Rev. I'm sure you have lots to say--- Incidentally you did not answer directly to Bill's challenge on the 'Great Physician' I believe. I await your answer on that point with interest.

Last edited by Ellis; 12/23/11 04:21 AM.
Page 82 of 120 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.