Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Orac
... I lead a fairly sheltered life based upon my work and have no real experience with religion and religious people.
OK. Therefore, I will assume that you at least try to be a moral and ethical person. Agreed? BTW, where and what is your work, teaching?

If so, keep in mind that the sincere intention to be s moral person is the basis of all good religion. You say that you have no experience with religious people. But you do have experience with me--our writing back and forth here at SAGGO is the evidence. Agreed? smile BTW, To get the smile, I do this : then I add this )

In my opinion, G.0.D. is that which, in macro form, is outside the material, or physical, universe--like a bird with an egg inside it. At the same time, G.0.D., in the micro form, is the egg of energy vibrating inside every physical atom in us and in other objects.

I suspect that the LHC may find a non-particle-like force. However, if all that it finds is just another particle called the god particle, that is all it will be, another particle. G.0.D. is not a particle.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I think I mentioned before I am very lucky to have been granted political asylum by Australia for which I am ever so greatful. I am currently based and working in Chicago.

I strongly doubt they will find a god particle (higgs) and I really hate that particle name BTW and it's not because of religious implications it is that it also implies it is somehow the most important particle.

I may be wrong there may be something possible at 114-120GEV but if I was a betting man my money would be against it.

if your interested its a bit technical but (http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/) and the bottom line

Quote:

The current LHC data shows no definite sign of the Higgs, but the statistics is still too low to really say anything, especially for the lower part of the region. The crucial thing to watch now is the Higgs to gamma-gamma channel, which is the only one sensitive enough to hope to rule out or see a Higgs in the 115-125 GeV region, for the current amount of data collected. I don’t know when the experiments expect to release new data in this channel, just that their goal has been to each have some sort of result in December. Perhaps they’ll release something at HCP 2011, more likely not. The only rumor I’ve heard is from someone who has seen a recent plot of the ATLAS data for this channel, and he tells me he doesn’t see any bump in this region. But work on this data is on-going, and I have no idea what CMS is seeing or not seeing (my efforts to get Tommaso Dorigo drunk in Antwerp last month didn’t yield much).

Last edited by Orac; 10/25/11 05:23 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.