Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
12ft^2 = 144ft [says Paul]
1ft = 12in [everyone knows]
12*(12in)^2 = 1728in [substitute 12in for ft]
144in^2 = 1728in
20736in = 1728in [square the 144 because in^2 is meaningless]

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
People use ft^2 all the time.

no they dont , they use a (number) then they put (ft) in as the units that communicates what the number represents then if they want to communicate that the number is to be multiplied by itself they put (^2) following the units.

Quote:
Every other person thinks 12ft^2 means something different to what you think it means.

and they are probably republicans judging from the IQ in the republican states , I have considered you to be a republican
because of your crooked ways of convincing people that your side of the discussion is correct , much like the way the tobacco industry convinced people that tobacco products were safe and the way that DDT was said to be harmless in the past.

I picture people like yourself and TFF as the men spraying DDT on children in a swimming pool saying its good for you breath it in , its harmless.

and there are also alot of people who vote republican , therefore just because a large number of people have flawed logic doesnt mean that their logic is logical.

Quote:

yes , it is.
just like
5^2 = 25 below , notice the image is using squares
there are 25 squares in the image.
each of the 25 squares could be any unit of measurement
such as feet or meters.

see the 5^2 = 25 above?
in your mind 5ft^2 is only 5 * ft^2
you dont multiply the 5 only the ft , and the feet have no value.

which is pretty stupid !!!

http://whamit.dlp.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/467px-Five_Squared.png

the above image is from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I choose to believe people who tell the truth about math.

and beside any grade school student , that hasnt been poisoned by flawed logic coming from people such as TFF or yourself would easily be able to understand that.

http://web.mit.edu/

but that is the entire problem with you and TFF , you have poisoned logic caused by attending schools that teach poisoned logic.

your flawed logic is like a virus that spreads to others infecting them with your flawed logic.

and that is how you and TFF became infected , so it just spreads and spreads until someone finds the cure.

and the cure is logic.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Quote:

You measure area in ft? I wonder how big a 1000ft apartment would be. Did you ever see anyone else anywhere use feet as a unit of area? Ever? I know you won't be able to show me any examples, but can you even remember any?

Quote:

in your mind 5ft^2 is only 5 * ft^2

Yes! You just wrote the exact same thing. Just as 3x = 3*x. There is an implied multiplication between the 5 and the ft.

Paul, there's no way you can do any calculations with physical quantities unless you use some consistent way to operate on them. The easiest is the common convention that nearly everybody has used for hundreds of years.

Treat units like variables

You already treat numbers like variables. You can already say 3*3=3^2 the same way as x*x=x^2. Now just add m*m=m^2. That's really all it is. Just doing that will instantly make all these calculations work exactly the way me and TFF say. You can test it on anything and it will always work exactly the same. Even on the 5x5 grid it will work exactly as MIT says.

Your way leads to measuring area in ft.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
You measure area in ft? I wonder how big a 1000ft apartment would be.

no I dont, I use square feet , you use feet squared.

you are wrong.
I would say 1000 square feet

you would say 1000 ft squared

Im right , your wrong.

its that simple.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Paul, the simplest thing in this thread is you. Your ignorance does not translate into fact. You're wrong because you are completely and utterly ignorant. My kids knew more math than you than when they were in 5th or 6th grade. The kids I tutor know more math than you - before I tutor them. Most of them have the good sense to realize they don't understand. You just keep repeating stupid crap over and over.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: paul

I would say 1000 square feet

you would say 1000 ft squared

Oh so that's why you were looking for a symbol for "square".

Is there any way you can write an area without words?

Quote:

Im right , your wrong.

In this case we're both right. The meaning of "feet squared" or "square feet" is nothing but a human-invented language convention. That means whatever everybody else does is automatically right. Simply because it's a convention. Both terms mean the same thing because just about everybody uses them to mean the same thing. Obviously neither term means anything for non-English speakers.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
You can already say 3*3=3^2

yes I can

and I can say 2ft * 2ft = 2ft^2 (two foot squared)

that is why I say the below is not correct

2bananas * 2bananas = 4bananas^2 (four bananas squared)

ta da...

just like above , you see you do agree if I catch you off guard...

done deal , thanks.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
The kids I tutor know more math than you - before I tutor them. Most of them have the good sense to realize they don't understand.

and after you tutor them they know more of what you know.

and what you know is

2bananas * 2bananas = 4bananas^2 (((( FOUR BANANAS SQUARED )))

now your all alone in this because even kallog understands that
a number * the same number = that number squared.

thats how a square number is formed , it forms a square.

if you square 4 bananas you get 16 bananas !!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

"2bananas * 2bananas = 4bananas^2 (((( FOUR BANANAS SQUARED )))"

yes. THE SAME THING THAT EVERY MATHEMATICIAN, ENGINEER, SCIENTIST, AND MATH TEACHER TEACHER ON THE ENTIRE PLANET KNOWS - AS WELL AS EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER ACTUALLY STUDIED MATHEMATICS.

You're not arguing over something hard. This is a trivial result. No wonder you can't get funding for your projects. Anyone who spends two minutes listening to your ignorant drivel would be wondering what kind of idiot factory produces an imbecile like you.

Meanwhile, I take students who are getting Ds and Fs and produce from them students who get As and Bs. And guess what? I also get *MY* research funded. You know why? Because unlike you I actually try to understand it instead of insisting that the first stupid thing that comes out of my head is The Truth.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I take students who are getting Ds and Fs and produce from them students who get As and Bs.

that only shows that the entire educational system is flawed.
once the students move out of the flawed system and into a educational system such as MIT they will have to re-learn logic of fail.

it would be much easier and more beneficial to the students if the grade school students and high school students were not introduced to flawed logic in the first place.

Quote:
And guess what? I also get *MY* research funded.

that only shows that the people who fund your research have flaws like you do.

if they can understand that the below is true.

2bananas * 2bananas = 4bananas^2 ((( FOUR BANANAS SQUARED )))

then they have flawed logic also.

which says that we live in a world that uses flawed logic to determine who gets funding for their research.

I dont have flawed logic so that is why I dont get funding.

If logic tells me that I can get more energy out than I put into something then I trust my logic and I apply for funding.

if those who fund research have flawed logic then they would simply say that my idea isnt logical to them.

and I wouldnt get funding.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
THE SAME THING THAT EVERY MATHEMATICIAN, ENGINEER, SCIENTIST, AND MATH TEACHER TEACHER ON THE ENTIRE PLANET KNOWS

show me a few instances where this is clearly evident.

or find a image like the below image that clearly shows that
5*5=25^2 ((( 25 SQUARED )))
the correct image below shows that
5*5=5^2 ((( 5 SQUARED )))

note: please dont use any of your places of learning
or your students.

surely you will have no problem finding some type of evidence as every MATHEMATICIAN, ENGINEER, SCIENTIST, AND MATH TEACHER TEACHER ON THE ENTIRE PLANET KNOWS that 5*5=25^2

LOL

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
here is a math tutor web site.

you can refresh your skills here.
http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/areas.htm

Quote:
Area is measured in "square" units. The area of a figure is the number of squares required to cover it completely, like tiles on a floor.

Area of a square = side times side. Since each side of a square is the same, it can simply be the length of one side squared.

If a square has one side of 4 inches, the area would be 4 inches times 4 inches, or 16 square inches. (Square inches can also be written in2.)

not inches SQUARED

SQUARED
is not the same as
SQUARE

when you wrote ((( four bananas SQUARED )))

you were WRONG.

and there is no volume of insult or trickery that can
force that wrong to be a right.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Or it could be that you don't get funding, because your own logic is flawed and you are mathematically incompetent and too egotistical to admit you're uneducated.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
your educated !

if I had never went to any school.
and you attended schools for the past 40 years

and I said that

2*2=4

and you said that

2*2=16

which is what you said.

I would lean towards the idea that you only attended those schools and walked away with less than what I achieved by not attending a school.

but dont believe me , and I wont believe you.

just post some evidence from all of the people in the entire world that know your correct to show that you were correct when you said
2bananas * 2bananas = 4bananas^2 ((( four bananas squared)))

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
your educated !
and you said that

2*2=16

which is what you said.

I *never* said any such thing and neither did kallog. Neither did we say anything from which this could be reasonably inferred.

You have demonstrated that presenting evidence to you is irrelevant.
1. You refuse to look in the frigging book!
2. You don't even understand the sources you yourself post!

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:

thats the same exact thing as saying

2*2=16

because

2anythings*2anythings = 4anythings

and when you square 4 bananas ((( four bananas squared)))

you have 16 bananas

when you wrote ((( four bananas squared))) did you mean
((( four bananas squared))) or do we need to use some other language along with PEDMAS or PEMDAS or PENGUINS to figure out what you were trying to say?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Quote:

thats the same exact thing as saying

2*2=16

because

2anythings*2anythings = 4anythings

and when you square 4 bananas ((( four bananas squared)))

you have 16 bananas

when you wrote ((( four bananas squared))) did you mean
((( four bananas squared))) or do we need to use some other language along with PEDMAS or PEMDAS or PENGUINS to figure out what you were trying to say?

You're not even trying to understand. It's no wonder you won't take an algebra class or consult a book, before mangling mathematics.

It is not the same thing. The feet ARE the 'anythings.'
2ft * 2ft = 4 ft^2

In this case the square only applies to the ft, not the 4.

2ft * 2ft is the same as

2*ft * 2*ft (because 2ft MEANS 2*ft)

We can re-arrange using the commutative property

2*2 * ft*ft = 2^2 * ft^2 = 4 * ft^2 = 4ft^2

Almost every HS student learns this by 8th grade. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you were either home-schooled or didn't do very well in your math classes.

You just make stuff up, because it makes sense to you and then claim that it's logical - because
1. You're too lazy to look it up,
2. You don't know what "logic" is and confuse it with any stupid idea that comes into your head, and
3. You are too intellectually dishonest to admit you don't understand.

What do you know the guys who understand math get the problem right and the guy who doesn't know his head from his ass continues to make a fool of himself.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I know your just trying to not say that your wrong.

work the following 3 equations.

2ft^2 * 2ft^2 =

and

2ft * 2ft =

and

2 sq ft * 2 sq ft =

then compare the answers

I get

2ft^2 * 2ft^2 = 4ft^2
and
2ft * 2ft = 4 ft
and
2 sq ft * 2 sq ft = 4 sq ft

notice in all 3 above I used the same units in my
answer because thats the way its done.
its the way that makes sense.

and all 3 above are correct.

once you do the equations you will clearly see your error or the error of those who taught you or the way you learned it.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I know your just trying to not say that your wrong.

False. I was attempting to explain how every mathematicians, scientist, and engineer on the planet does the math.

work the following 3 equations.

2ft^2 * 2ft^2 = 4 ft^4
and
2ft * 2ft = 4 ft^2
and
2 sq ft * 2 sq ft = 4 ft^4

This last one is confusing, because you're using the symbology that, say, a carpenter would use, but carpenters would probably never need 4 spatial dimensions.

1 sq ft = 1 ft^2

then compare the answers. I get

2ft^2 * 2ft^2 = 4ft^2
and
2ft * 2ft = 4 ft
and
2 sq ft * 2 sq ft = 4 sq ft

Every "answer" you wrote is wrong!

notice in all 3 above I used the same units in my
answer because thats the way its done.
its the way that makes sense.

The only thing I notice is that you haven't got the least little clue about what you're talking about. You literally have a comic book understanding of math.
and all 3 above are correct.

once you do the equations you will clearly see your error or the error of those who taught you or the way you learned it.

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

Take a math class or keep spewing stupid crap.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Go to the following website:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/

In the search bar, type your three expressions.
See what the results are.

Stephen Wolfram is a mathematical physicist and author of the popular software Mathematica that many scientists use. http://www.stephenwolfram.com/about-sw/

You think maybe kallog got to him?

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.