Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 76 of 120 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 119 120
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Is there a difference between being in the extreme centre and sitting on the fence? ...
If "sitting on the fence" means: being neutral and doing nothing, yes! Even at the risk of losing them, I feel we must take the chance and invest our talents, not just bury them.

BillS, if you have a Bible, smile Check out the parable of the talents, OK!

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/16/11 09:25 PM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Check out the parable of the talents, OK!

I recall it. Another example of a somewhat punative interpretation of God; albeit one of the milder ones.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Punative? You mean of
the self-inflicted kind? Isn't that called reality? Or nature?

In my old age, I have learned not to blame a god, or even GOD (Nature) for that which I inflict on myself.

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/17/11 04:53 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I did say "punative interpretation of God".

Actually blaming God for anything is probably akin to punative animism.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
I did say "punative interpretation of God". Actually blaming God for anything is probably akin to punative animism.
Question. What on earth is punitive animism?

Bill, your post prompts me to ask: GOD--AN OBJECT OF FEAR?
Forgive me, Bill, If I repeat myself, but I do so in the name of clarity, and for the sake of any new readers of this well-read thread, so here goes: As I understand it GOD, as BEING, is not a being, or a person--that is, GOD is not a "he". Neither is GOD a BIG male-like being up there who wants us to worship "Him", and to FEAR "Him".

I ask: What does the BIBLICAL EXPRESSION, "THE FEAR OF THE LORD" (Psalms 34:11; Proverbs 1:07 etc.) mean to me? It simply means that it is wise of us to have "respect" for people and things worthy of it. Only a fool does not FEAR the dangers of life, like fire, and the like!

Daily, I give thanks for the tradition in which I, and others like me, were raised and educated: "Fear" as many people usually think of it, was not, and is not required. This is true for all private and public prayers, meditations, whatever.

Speaking only for the freedom-loving kind of people--many, including me, with honest doubts--in which I was raised: I have never been required to adopt the emotion of "painful apprehension". I have never had to be fearfully mindful of a god with the ability to keep "His" eye on people. All freedom-loving people are invited to connect with the ... whatever you want to call it.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Yes, I really did spell it punative - twice! Of course, I meant punitive. frown

Example of punitive animism: Child hits head on table; parent behaves as though the table had acted maliciously.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
... Child hits head on table; parent behaves as though the table had acted maliciously.
Child, or anyone, goes up against the laws of Nature and gets slammed, then we blame Nature (GOD) for being malicious.

Moral of the story: Get in tune with the infinite, Nature (GOD). smile

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/23/11 02:28 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Get in tune with the infinite

That's the first hurdle!!!

Getting in tune with GOD might follow naturally once that hurdle is cleared.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Get in tune with the infinite

That's the first hurdle!!!

Getting in tune with GOD might follow naturally once that hurdle is cleared.
Good point BS. May I add: IMO, The Infinite & The Eternal are, like space/time, one and the same. And all are in GOD.

The big hurdle for me is my resistance. When I get my ego-based resistance out of the way, all that I need--physically, mentally and spiritually--seems to flow in.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
When I get my ego-based resistance out of the way, all that I need--physically, mentally and spiritually--seems to flow in.

Hang on to that, Rev; it has to be worth nurturing.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
When I get my ego-based resistance out of the way, all that I need--physically, mentally and spiritually--seems to flow in.

Hang on to that, Rev; it has to be worth nurturing.
Worth nurturing because of what?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Look around you, Rev, watch the news, read the papers; how many people do you think could say: "all that I need--physically, mentally and spiritually--seems to flow in."

If you have that "gift" and nurture it, perhaps you can spread it to others. I didn't think I needed to spell it out, because I suspect you are doing that already.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
..."all that I need--physically, mentally and spiritually--seems to flow in."

If you have that "gift" and nurture it, perhaps you can spread it to others. I didn't think I needed to spell it out, because I suspect you are doing that already
It is not a complex concept. My purpose for being in this and other forums on the Net is to spread this simple and good news.

The cost?

I simply as people to be willing to take time to understand the principles involved, and to pass them on to all who have "eyes to see and ears to hear".

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
As I suspected, you are doing it already. smile

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
As I suspected, you are doing it already. smile
And can this movement count on your support? Or what?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
And can this movement count on your support? Or what?

I suspect that if we can be said to have a moral obligation, it is to try to make that part of the world over which we have some influence a better place.

Is that the sort of support you had in mind?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I also suspect that your response might be to ask me what I mean by "a better place", and if you don't ask that, Kallog or Paul probably will. Let's see who gets there first.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
... Let's see who gets there first.
Ok, I'll bite!

Where is "there"? And what ought anyone expect to experience when we get there?

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Surely we never get 'there'. It is 'there' that keeps us motivated to face another day. Sometimes we may have momentary fulfilment and hope we are therefore nearer 'there'. It is a ceaseless search, which I suppose can only end when our lives do. Last year I watched my mother trying to make sense of her life at 97. She had only mild dementia... and believe me she was still trying to get 'there' until the day she died. She never gave up and she made the best of her situation,

Even more importantly, I doubt that our own "there' is anywhere near anyone else's! Or, what an awful thought--- maybe we are all on the same deluded search for 'there'.

In our societies I suspect we have everything we need, and most of us are able to achieve some degree of content and happiness. Would we recognise those special moments if every second of our lives were to be wonderful? Personally I think it's important to be like my mum--- keep looking, keep enjoying and accept the present situation as best we can, whilst being hopeful for the future.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Rev, interesting that you translated "a better place" as "there". I had thought of it more in terms of "here". I think each of us has the capacity to make "here" a better place, but some vague "there" is a different matter.

Ellis, your mother sounds like a great person. If I get to 97 (as I have every intention of doing) I hope I have her spirit.

There never was nothing.
Page 76 of 120 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.