Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 498 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
In a number of threads we have been talking about universe inflation from a cosmolgy point of view in this I am going to take a different view which is the engineering and computer modelling view.

Why because it sheds some light on some problems and more controversial answers we throw at the cosmology.

The first thing about an inflating universe is it's shape.

We have to assume that inflation would be reasonably uniform because otherwise the mechanism behind it get overly complex. So we are look at processes like pumping up a tire or hydrolics in which the inflation mechanisms are simple.

Any shape that has a hole on the inside like a tyre tube would lead to the problem of the inner walls hitting to form a singularity. That would lead to some rather bizzare effects at the singularity and as we have not seen it we assume there are no holes or voids in space although that is far from proven.

The next question an engineer will throw at you is how do you expand something. The answer for them is easy there are only really 3 ways.

a) You inject pressure at a single or multiple point think pumping a tyre up. You push the boundaries apart physically we usually think mechanically by piezo and crystal etc can do the same thing. Thermal expansion is a classical view of this.

b) You can suck the boundary out by creating negative pressure outside think of your lungs or a vacuum cleaner bag.

c) Some non classical physic way

Okay so now lets look at the options.

a) If this is true it should be relatively easy to find the pressure injection point unless the pressure is injected relatively evenly everywhere. It also has the problem of where do we get pressure from?

The only real candidate for this process is dark matter. You really do struggle to find any other plausable way to make it work.

b) The suction approach is a cosmolgy nightmare because all the production is outside space itself.

Unfortunately for cosmology this is the easiest one for an engineer and modeller to do. Lungs are the way they are because its relatively easy the drive method is far far harder.

When you drop a low viscosity liquid drop to into a bowl of another liquid the osmotic pressure does exactly that.
There is a classic school experiment called egg osmosis(http://ilovebacteria.com/eggosmosis.htm)

One immiscible liquid injected into another also does an interesting thing. It expands initially and then will experience pinch off to two seperate drops

(http://www.math.vt.edu/people/renardyy/Research/Publications/35460.pdf) Go to figure 5.3

Even look at normal drop formation from a capillary tube
(http://www.cfd.com.au/cfd_conf03/papers/118Dav.pdf)

So you can guess the sorts of questions we keep throwing at the cosmologist which are very controversial.

Q. Can our universe get so expanded it pinches off
Q. Is the universe something like two immiscible liquids normal matter versus dark matter.
Q. Are we a drop of matter forming about to break off and drop through whatever is outside ... okay its silly but funny :-)

What we are basically looking at is all natural expansion processes for links with the universe theory.

c) If we can't find the answer above then we end up here some non classical physics way.

For us this as a modeller this is a nightmare but the cosmologist love it because they don't have to answer the tricky questions.

By now you should have enough detail to throw you two cents in.

Any thoughts remember they can be controversial non of this rubbish is prooved or assumed to even remotely be true.

Last edited by Orac; 08/17/11 06:43 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Orac
Any shape that has a hole on the inside like a tyre tube would lead to the problem of the inner walls hitting to form a singularity. That would lead to some rather bizzare effects at the singularity and as we have not seen it we assume there are no holes or voids in space although that is far from proven.

I've seen glimpses of this torus idea, but I don't understand the physics. Still, direct evidence will be unavailable if the visible universe is a too small a part of it all.

Originally Posted By: Orac
a) If this is true it should be relatively easy to find the pressure injection point unless the pressure is injected relatively evenly everywhere. It also has the problem of where do we get pressure from?

And why is the accelerating factor not weakened over time? A given volume of space always contains the same 'Dark Energy'...or does it?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Ahh redewenur we would have a hoot discussing stuff you think as devious as me I am always freakin people out.

Interesting the universe expansion seems to be increasing so if Dark energy is fuelling the expansion what does that tell us because I agree the volume is increasing the acceleration should slow.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
New article funny enough along the lines we are discussing here

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-physicists-undo-coffee-effect.html

They discuss the coffee ring effect but funny enough they don't discuss why department of Physics and Astronomy would be studying the effect ... ahh we must keep our secrets :-)

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
My first thought was that maybe the cause might be concavity of the droplet as it dried, but then:

Originally Posted By: (from article)
"Spherical particles easily detach from the [air-water] interface, and they flow past one another easily because the spheres do not substantially deform the air-water interface. Ellipsoid particles, however, cause substantial undulation of the air-water interface that in turn induces very strong attractions between the ellipsoids. Thus the ellipsoids tend to get stuck on the surface, and, while the stuck particles can continue to flow towards the drop's edges during evaporation, they increasingly block each other, creating a traffic jam of particles that eventually covers the drop's surface."

It requires only a 20% elongation. Surprising.

Originally Posted By: (from article)
"We were thinking it would be useful if you could just sprinkle in a few of these ellipsoid particles to remove the coffee ring effect," Yodh said, "and we found that sometimes this idea works and sometimes it doesn't."
Understanding the impact of particle shape on drop drying could have applications in printing and painting. The principles could also be relevant in biological and medical contexts.

I imagine that computer modeling would help to refine the understanding, although the downside to modeling (besides the expense) is that the program can contain only known data and will give the wrong answers if unanticipated factors are involved. The output needs to be checked by experiment and observation - but in this case that would probably be quite easy.

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.