Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Orac #39541 08/16/11 05:51 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
See the energy just jumps from one location to another

Granted, but something causes the energy to jump. What is that?

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #39542 08/16/11 06:35 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
The can not destroy quantum information law .. we don't know what the mechanism is it just does it.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Orac #39546 08/16/11 06:53 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Just as a point of reference: "The Black Hole War - My battle with Stephen Hawking to make the world safe for Quantum Mechanics" by Leonard Susskind. Basically Stephen Hawking said that information was lost in a black hole. This book outlines Susskind's search for a way to disprove that statement. His problem with the loss of information is that it would cause huge problems for QM.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #39548 08/16/11 07:03 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
The can not destroy quantum information law...

Are you saying that the law causes a physical effect? I thought laws stated how things were. For example: the law of gravity tells us what to expect gravity to do, not what makes it do what it does.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #39560 08/17/11 03:30 AM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Yes Bill S .. we see this sort of response in a number of places

In you car you distributor cut the supply current to a coil to a magnetic field.

We have a law that says you can not destroy or create energy and the energy in the coil is mantained by the flow of current.

Cutting the current the energy response to this is immediate and brutal it creates a spark which we use as ignition for a petrol engine.

See what you are trying to do is destroy energy the system does everything to not allow that. We understand the effect in normal physics and even can write explainations lik di/dt in the coil where dt becomes very small if not infinite blah blah.

QM information appears to be exactly like energy it seems to obey the same rules you can't create it, you can't destroy it, you can't clone it.
(http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-quantum-no-hiding-theorem-experimentally.html)

We have been unable to think of any way in which to destroy it. Now think about that here is this effect which is suppose to be trival and minor only important at small scales and you can't stop it .. it will defy normal physics rules to maintain it's existance.

Hawkings being a logical person has come to accept the conclussion QM doesn't see space distance and normal gravity forces and will try and preserve itself how could it possibly be destroyed by a black hole. See for Hawking radiation QM is alive and well right up to the event horizon so the question becomes do you really think it will stop there. Penrose etc believe it does, Hawkings has joined the QM camp given it doesn't even see the event horizon it's not subject to space rules why would it?

Last edited by Orac; 08/17/11 04:52 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.