Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 424 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
TAKE NOTE:This thread replaces the thread on "Philosophy of religions..." which has Over 2,500,000 hits so far? WOW! This must certainly be a record for SAGO! Let's make it 3,000,000 hits, soon. Meanwhile, feel free to say hello, and join the 'unitheism' group on Facebook, and Twitter. You can also check us out at www.lindsayking.ca

BTW, when I opened the thread "Philosophy of religions...', I used my wife's family name--Turner. It is also the name of my only son. I also have a daughter, Catherine--a brave artist.

Yes, I do love to talk. I also love to write. How about you? Feel free to get involved as, using philosophy, science and the arts, we explore what it means to be, and to find oneness. Unitheism respects all sincerely held opinions and beliefs, which lead to justice, peace and harmony--that which is Good, Orderly and Desirable, for all--the core of UNITHEISM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I don't remember who it was, but someone said of Hinduism that "you can believe what you like, and still be a Hindu".

I guess the stipulation that your beliefs should "lead to justice, peace and harmony" would prevent the same comment from applying to Unitheism.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
I don't remember who it was, but someone said of Hinduism that "you can believe what you like, and still be a Hindu".
As I understand it, Hinduism is a very broad philosophy of religion. May I suggest we ask some Hindus: Hindus, how broad is your philosophy of Hinduism? I assume that most Hindus believe in being humane, moral and ethical people. What do you think of the basic principle common to most world religions and known as the Golden Rule?

Bill, you add:
Quote:
I guess the stipulation that your beliefs should "lead to justice, peace and harmony" would prevent the same comment from applying to Unitheism.
Unitheism? I look on Unitheism as a way of life, not a set of beliefs.

As do all Unitheists, I speak only for my self when I say: As I understand the philosophy, it is all about how I live life day by day, not about the creeds or dogmas I say that I believe in.

BTW, nowhere in the Gospels does it say that Christianity began as a set of beliefs, creeds and dogmas set in place by Jesus. Jesus never wrote a book filled with beliefs, rules and regulations, he simply lived his life as the servant of all and asked others to do likewise. Originally Christianity was called 'The Way' with the emphasis on deeds, not on creeds.

Bill, what is the guiding principle, or principles, of your life. Are you a "creedalist"? Or a "deedalist"?

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
nowhere in the Gospels does it say that Christianity began as a set of beliefs, creeds and dogmas set in place by Jesus.

Similarly, as far as I am aware, there is nothing in the Gospels that says that Christ's followers should stop being Jews.

I think there is a parallel here in that the Buddha didn't tell his followers to stop being Hindus.

I sometimes think that if Jesus and Gautama can see the way their teachings have developed, Jesus must be the sadder of the two.

If you need me to stick one of these labels on myself, it would have to be "deedalist".

I started life as a "creedalist", but when I was a child, I thought as a child; now I am ancient, I have ideas of my own.
(with apologies to St Paul)

There never was nothing.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
[quote]... If you need me to stick one of these labels on myself, it would have to be "deedalist".
Same here. I have often used the same word to say who I am. Unitheism is very deedalistic. Who else feels the same? Don't be shy! Feel free to join our (Warren Farr, an artist, and me) group on FaceBook.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/unitheism?ap=1

BTW, have you heard of the book
HOW JESUS BECAME CHRISTIAN?
by Prof. Barrie Wilson?
http://www.barriewilson.com/blog.html
How think you? Lots to think about, eh?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
HOW JESUS BECAME CHRISTIAN?

And all this time I thought he was a Jew!

There never was nothing.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
I understand the point of Professor Wilson's book is that the Christianity we know was not founded by Jesus. It came as the result of the life, work and writings of Paul. In other words, what we have today is "Paulineanity".

THIS IS INTERESTING TO ME:
The fair-minded skeptic and critic of religion, Lewis Loflin, writes:

PAUL WAS THE FOUNDER OF cHRISTIANITY
http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/paul/paul.htm

K
K

Over 2,500,000 hits so far. Wow, amazing, Rev. Well done.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Kyra, the number, as of today is 2,607,089. While I am not into converting people into being cult members--I abhor the idea and unitheism is an open source theology--anyone, feel free to join the discussion, here and on Facebook. Questions and constructive criticisms are always very welcome.

BTW, I welcome anyone to also answer the following:

If you belong to a religion and attend a church, synagogue, temple or mosque tell us why.

If not, why not?

What qualities do certain religions have that you find attractive?

What qualities make do certain religions have that make you want to stay away?

Perhaps you are a loner, and love the idea. Are you? Why?

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/13/11 04:16 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.