Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Chris Maxwell, the actual processor may be said to be alive...

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
Count Iblis II,
i agree about the body parts. But if your brain were to be replaced, you would no longer be yourself.
Do you realise that 'you' have only been living for a very short time. what you percieve as 'you' is actually a copy of an older version of you.
say every atom in the world has it's own individual adress. A copy of you, would definitely not be 'you'! Even though they may act exactly like you.
I agree about the fact that my identity is changing. But it is changing precisely because my brain isn't an exact copy of what it was a few seconds ago. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the flow of time.

If you say that an exact copy of a brain still isn't the same thing, then you assume that no mathematical description of reality is possible. Let's say that you make 10^100 identical brains. If they would all be different, then they can't really be exact copies.

There must thus exist hidden variables that account for the 10^100 possible extra states the brain can be in. But the figure of 10^100 was arbitrary, so you need to postulate an infinite number of extra states to describe reality. This amounts to saying that a mathematical description of reality is impossible.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Count Iblis II,
On the topic of infinity; yes, maths cannot describe infinity. Or, perhaps maths can, but we, using maths, can't.

Infinity is not an 'unreachable' value somewhere off in the distance, infinity exists everywhere and all the time. As I said in another topic, to get from one number to another you would have to pass through infinite decimal numbers. You should, in fact, never reach the next number. Why time goes on and why next numbers are reached is a mystery to me.

C
C
listen a processor cant be alive its a device that runs information . (its not alive ). jeez >_<;

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
TFF said;
"We can surely move data to the computer. But will we be able to move ME into the computer? I'm guessing not."

If science were advanced enough to provide a 'atomic-structure-map' of your entire body and if we could create a program that simulates atoms and their rules we could 'build' a copy of you into that world and your copy would breathe the simulated air of that world and act just as you would if you were to suddenly 'appear' in a place like that. It may say; "how the hell did I get here?" and think it's going mad (if that's what you'd do) If it is a very accurate model it would probably act EXACTLY as *you* would. But, in answer to your question; "will we be able to move ME into the computer?" The answer is no, being specific, it would be a COPY of you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.