Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
B
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
I still think you should give us an account of your understanding of the whole tired light theory, including the origin of the Universe. Picking, as we are, at little bits makes it so easy to be sidetracked.

You already have my understanding of the whole tired light theory. As light journeys through space it is intercepted by free matter and loses energy.

In my opinion there was no origin of the universe, I believe that it is infinite in time and space.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill 6
How can a person possibly know the difference between the amount of blurring affecting a close up photograph and that of a long distance one unless the camera has been located there?

Well, when I look at a picture of a light in a fog I can easily tell that the picture is blurred by the fog. So when somebody looks at a Hubble picture of a distant galaxy it should be pretty easy to tell if it has been blurred by matter in between.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: redewenur
BTW, do you still think we have no way of knowing if the image of a distant galaxy is blurred or not, despite the HUDF images?

Those images are just as affected by any free matter in outer space as are those of our personal telescopes.

Surely, if blurring has occurred during the several billion lt yr journey, then it must be of an extremely small order. don't you agree?

How can a person possibly know the difference between the amount of blurring affecting a close up photograph and that of a long distance one unless the camera has been located there?

Being of the opinion that there have been no close up photographs of those distant galaxies I have no way of evaluating the extent of any blurring.

You may recall that when the HST was first operated, its images were found to be blurred despite the fact that their definition was superior to images of the same objects taken previously.

"Almost immediately after Hubble went into orbit, it became clear that something was wrong. While the pictures were clearer than those of ground-based telescopes, they weren't the pristine images promised. They were blurry."

http://hubblesite.org/the_telescope/hubble_essentials/

That was rectified by astronauts at a cost of $8m.

In your opinion, should it have been impossible to determine whether the images were blurred or not?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
B
Originally Posted By: Bill
Well, when I look at a picture of a light in a fog I can easily tell that the picture is blurred by the fog. So when somebody looks at a Hubble picture of a distant galaxy it should be pretty easy to tell if it has been blurred by matter in between.

Bill Gill

There is a difference between whether blurring takes place or not and the AMOUNT of blurring!

When you look at a picture of a light in a fog you are aware of the fact that there is a fog and that the image of the light is blurred by that fog. You might base the amount of blurring perhaps on other pictures involving less dense fogs or fog free instances however there has never been images of distant galaxies taken without intervening matter ergo the amount of blurring is, at this stage, indeterminable.

An undeniable fact is is that there is matter in outer space between us and distant galaxies and this mustcreate some blurring via scattering.

However I remain of the opinion that the tired light concept relates specifically to the frequency of light not its intensity (I trust I have the terminology correct).

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Bill 6: "It is my understanding that scattering has no relationship to redshift but only to sharpness (or blurring)."

So, to recap, while you have no idea what causes the redshift, you're sure that it's not recessional velocity?

B
B
So, to recap, while you have no idea what causes the redshift, you're sure that it's not recessional velocity?

I believe that my comment to the effect that when light travels via the random matter in space and creates an increase in that matter's temperature leaving itself slightly energy depleted - i.e. redshifted - IS an expression of my opinion as to what causes the redshift!

I made NO suggestion that the redshift is not due to recessional velocity but pointed out that the energy loss may RESULT in recessional velocity!

B
B
In your opinion, should it have been impossible to determine whether the images were blurred or not?

In my opinion this part of the discussion has deteriorated into a childish point-scoring competition.

I have pointed out that my argument is in relation to redshifted light NOT blurred light so if you wish to continue in that vein you do so alone as far as I'm concerned!

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I have intended my questions to be simple, clear and reasonable, Bill. For all I know, you could be right and the Standard Cosmological Model could be wrong. It's regrettable that you are offended by posts that question your beliefs.

B
B
It's regrettable that you are offended by posts that question your beliefs.

I find no offense in posts that question my beliefs only in the way in which some of them are expressed.

I made no suggestion that your post to which I responded questioned my beliefs hence your comment is unwarranted.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
In my opinion there was no origin of the universe, I believe that it is infinite in time and space.

This is the bit that fascinates me. It is also the bit with which I have had lots of problems. I have something akin to a clear picture in my head about it, but it is phenomenally difficult to keep a discussion of the subject in track.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
It's regrettable that you are offended by posts that question your beliefs.

I find no offense in posts that question my beliefs only in the way in which some of them are expressed.

I made no suggestion that your post to which I responded questioned my beliefs hence your comment is unwarranted.

That post and just about all of my posts in this thread question your beliefs on this topic. Be that as it may, I have no desire to annoy you, inadvertently or otherwise, so I'm pleased to let it drop. Actually, I'm inclined to think that you're right regarding time being without beginning and end, although I don't think it rules out the Big Bang.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rede
Actually, I'm inclined to think that you're right regarding time being without beginning and end, although I don't think it rules out the Big Bang.

Oh dear! The dreaded infinite series is making a comeback.

You know I have to take issue with this. Time, without beginning or end, is an infinite series, which is a mathematical concept that can never be demonstrated in physical reality.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
You know I have to take issue with this. Time, without beginning or end, is an infinite series, which is a mathematical concept that can never be demonstrated in physical reality.

Oh, I don't mind at all that it can't be demonstrated. It's the concept of time that sits comfortably in my mind.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I don't mind at all that it can't be demonstrated.

Is this not philosophical belief, rather than science?

How do you justify the concept of an infinite series, even as an untestable belief?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hi Bill S.

It's what I'm "inclined to think", nothing more, nothing less. It's not a matter of science. Not even part of a philosophical or metaphysical system. It's merely something that I lean toward in my personal view. As you'll appreciate, that requires no justification to others. The best I can do, I guess, is to say that I've always had difficulty grasping the idea of a beginning and end to time, whereas infinite time presents no problem to me. That's about it really.

B
B
That post and just about all of my posts in this thread question your beliefs on this topic. Be that as it may, I have no desire to annoy you, inadvertently or otherwise...

Whilst just about all of your posts question my beliefs you did not have the decency to state that openly but surreptitiously attempted to conceal your criticism.

It was that devious practice which I found objectionable.

Last edited by Bill 6; 07/23/11 12:01 AM.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I've always had difficulty grasping the idea of a beginning and end to time, whereas infinite time presents no problem to me.

This sentence would apply to me if you changed the "no" into "a serious".

I'm not sure if I envy your comfort with the idea of infinite time, or if I just suspect that you have stopped short of thinking it through fully.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I'm not sure if I envy your comfort with the idea of infinite time, or if I just suspect that you have stopped short of thinking it through fully.

Take your pick Bill, I won't hold it against you, he-he.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Take your pick Bill

OK, as long as there are no hard feelings, I'll go for the second option. smile Obviously, that could lead to lots of questions; some of which may have been asked in other threads, but it would be great to get some resolution on this one.

First question: do you accept that a mathematical infinity is not necessarily the same thing as a physical infinity?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Great to get some resolution, you say? Nice to see an optimist aboard.

First answer:

Lazy eight and the word 'infinity' are symbols that can invoke a concept which may differ between individuals. The concept, a mental representation, is not the physical reality, and may or may not represent physical reality. So yes, I accept that.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.