Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: Bill
disrupt the environment. Their adaptation to the environment also isn't necessarily the "best" adaptation possible. It is an adaptation that is simply "good enough".

Yea I guess that's a handy advantage of mass extinctions, it does give it a chance to start over. Loss of dinosaurs gave mammals a chance, and mammals we able to evolve to have higher intelligence than dinosaurs. But then again we weren't able to be as big (small human mammals tend to kill off big ponderous ones). So it's all a bit meaningless to say what's better or worse. Maybe with a human extinction something even more "interesting" might replace us.

Quote:
headaches. A lot of the physical ails of humans are caused by the fact that evolution never starts over, it just twists things around so they will do the job, and keeps on

A lot of those things won't have a significant impact on survival, so they don't really matter. Those problems might have been worse in the past but now they're at a level where we can still reproduce just about as well despite them. It reminds me of a control system where the error is below the sensitivity level or the noise, so it doesn't get corrected.

There's also the issue that "bad" characteristics can just be more strongly expressed forms of good ones - like nature is still oscillating around the optimum. I saw an article on here explaining that people with some schizoid characteristics have a reproductive advantage over normal people, and that stops schizophrenia from being weeded out. There's a similar theory (maybe not well accepted) about male homosexuality - Being more attracted to males helps women reproduce more, but it also means their male children can inherit the same characteristic and it becomes a fault.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Aside from main subject -

A problem with Linnaean taxonomy is that it results in paraphyletic groups.

"Turns out we DID come from monkeys!"
http://www.youtube.com/aronra#p/search/1/4A-dMqEbSk8

At about t=0:53s
"... humans can be and already are properly classified currently both as apes and as monkeys."

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Even Linnaeus had trouble not including humans as simians.

"It is not pleasing to me that I must place humans among the primates, but man is intimately familiar with himself. Let's not quibble over words. It will be the same to me whatever name is applied. But I desperately seek from you and from the whole world a general difference between men and simians from the principles of Natural History. I certainly know of none. If only someone might tell me one! If I called man a simian or vice versa I would bring together all the theologians against me. Perhaps I ought to, in accordance with the law of the discipline [Natural History]."

from letter (1747) to the local Lutheran Archbishop Gmelin, who accused Linneaus of “impiety” for classifying humans with other primates

Snagged this quote from the pdf:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/cnicolay/BIO108/108-02a-classification.pdf

I should note that I have not read the original source of this quote. It's possible it is taken out of context, but I doubt it at this point, as it's from a professor's lecture notes. I've read elsewhere that Linnaeus faced this problem, but for all I know they derive from the same incorrect source. I mention this only because I don't want to sound like a creationist when they write "Even Darwin said ... X." You can bet your behind when a creationist starts a sentence with some variant of that phrase that he hasn't actually read the quote in context and is unaware that the context indicates the exact opposite intent that the isolated quote is intended to convey.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 06/21/11 03:15 PM.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
A concise explanation of the relationship between ourselves and the other Great Apes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OSmTPThWD_c

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.