Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37679 03/04/11 07:03 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
From what I can discover it seems that a naked singularity is a singularity without an event horizon.

It also seems that this may be a black hole in the making, as it is a product of continued gravitational collapse.

This seems to raise three questions:

1. If a singularity is a point at which spacetime is infinitely curved, how can the curvature increase?

2. If the curvature at the singularity cannot further increase, why is it not a black hole already.

3. If the curvature is not infinite, how can it be described as a singularity.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I have just found de Felice’s paper ((www.arxiv.org/abs/0710.0983). I need an explanation with less maths, please. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, I don't know that much about it myself. I did a little googling and didn't come up with much. Apparently there has been some theoretical work on the matter. The only thing I have come up with is that they may or may not be possible. If they are they create some strange effects. I do recall that Scientific American had an article about them and I managed to find out what issue it was in. That was the Jan. 21, 2009 issue. I don't have it, it went to my daughter years ago. You can read it on line if you are a subscriber, or you might be able to find it at a library.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I'm beginning to find out a little bit about the basic idea. It seems to be a lot to do with the angular momentum of the growing black hole. Sufficient angular momentum seems to turn the event horizon into a "doughnut". further increase brings the "top" and "bottom" together so that the doughnut ceases to exist. Eureka! a sort of B H from which light can escape.

All this happens in theory, though.

I'm a long way from being sure how the angular momentum achieves all this.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.