Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
What became of Samantha? Her only appearance was on 02.11.09 (that's 11.02 for those across the water). It looked as though she was going to be a breath of fresh air.

There never was nothing.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
What became of Samantha?
Her only appearance was on 02.11.09
(that's 11.02 for those across the water).
It looked as though she was going to be a breath of fresh air.

Samadhi.
The general meaning of ‘Samandhi’ is ‘ Meditation’
or ‘ Concentration’, but it has also a specialized meaning
for which English ‘ trance’ is more appropriate.’
/ Dictionary of Religions.
Page 282. The Penguin./
#
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samadhi
====.
S.

Last edited by socratus; 03/05/11 04:11 AM.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
One of the things I like about this kind of thread is that although answers rarely match questions, they are always interesting. smile

There never was nothing.
S
OP Offline
S
Unified Field Theory
/ By Tim Joseph /

In the beginning there was Aristotle,
And objects at rest tended to remain at rest,
And objects in motion tended to come to rest,
And soon everything was at rest,
And God saw that it was boring.

Then God created Newton,
But objects in motion tended to remain in motion,
And energy was conserved and momentum
was conserved and matter was conserved,
And God saw that it was conservative.

Then God created Einstein,
And everything was relative,
And fast things became short,
And straight things became curved,
And the universe was filled with inertial frames,
And God saw that it was relatively general,
but some of it was especially relative.

Then God created Bohr,
And there was the principle,
And the principle was quantum,
And all things were quantified,
But some things were still relative,
And God saw that it was confusing.

Then God was going to create Furgeson,
And Furgeson would have unified,
And he would have fielded a theory,
And all would have been one,
But it was the seventh day,
And God rested,
And objects at rest tend to remain at rest.

http://www.randomjoke.com/funny/fieldtheory.php
=================== .

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I like it!

There never was nothing.
J
J
Of course there is a conflict between science and religion.

Science is the study of creation through the filter of our physical senses.

Religion is the study of the creator through our sense of spiritual qualities such as good and evil , or right or wrong, or even truth and reality as opposed to perception of truth and perception of reality.

J
J
For me this is incredibly insightful. I often consider that it is our defining of reality that creates it. While we have a need for boundaries and definition of such we also have a need of overstepping those boundaries without totally destroying the paradigms we have used to create them. We need to stay grounded on planet earth so we create gravity. But then we need to escape this restriction so we create ways of flying be it using lift or making things lighter than the atmosphere or perhaps anti gravity devices or teleportation mechanisms. No matter what physical laws we have made to restrain us we will find a way of circumventing those laws when it becomes necessary. Like the discovery of atomic power allowing us to use energy more efficiently. But what if we find an even more efficient manner of directly using energy than fusion or fission. Directly accessing the sub atomic forces that hold together time and space?

Originally Posted By: socratus
Unified Field Theory
/ By Tim Joseph /

In the beginning there was Aristotle,
And objects in motion tended to come to rest,
And soon everything was at rest,
And God saw that it was boring.

Then God created Newton,
But objects in motion tended to remain in motion,
And energy was conserved and momentum
was conserved and matter was conserved,
And God saw that it was conservative.

Then God created Einstein,
And everything was relative,
And fast things became short,
And straight things became curved,
And the universe was filled with inertial frames,
And God saw that it was relatively general,
but some of it was especially relative.

Then God created Bohr,
And there was the principle,
And the principle was quantum,
And all things were quantified,
But some things were still relative,
And God saw that it was confusing.

Then God was going to create Furgeson,
And Furgeson would have unified,
And he would have fielded a theory,
And all would have been one,
But it was the seventh day,
And God rested,
And objects at rest tend to remain at rest.

http://www.randomjoke.com/funny/fieldtheory.php
=================== .

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
You missed the last one .... hey I am wearing a flakjacket so here goes.

Then physicists discovered Theory Of Everything.
And everything was discovered.
The unknown things became tiny.
The possibilities became vast.
The universe became small.
The possibilities of life was everywhere.
And god was seen as an illusion.
And mankind evolved
And Darwin rested happy in his grave.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
S
OP Offline
S
In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
/ John 1:1 /
#
In the beginning was the Word.
And the Word was written by formula: T = - 273,16= 0K.
T = 0K is an Absolute Reference frame.
Scientists call this Absolute Reference frame as an Aether (Vacuum).
But if in the beginning was T = 0K, can the T=0K take the functions of God?
Can T = 0K be an Absolute God?
To answer to this question we need to ask:
‘ Which kind of particles can exist in this Absolute Reference frame: T=0K?
#
And then "God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light."
/ Genesis 1:3 /
#
My conclusion:
The secret of God and Existence is hidden
in the ‘ Theory of Vacuum and Light Quanta ‘.
========.
Best wishes
Israel Sadovnik Socratus
==========..

Megastar
Megastar
Socratus, way back you asked:
Where and Who is God?
Then I understand that, for you, God ( HE/SHE/IT ) is "Something Infinity Absolute". I assume you to mean that you think of God as that which is everywhere present and at the same time? Sounds OK to me.

As I point out in my thread on UNITHEISM--feel free to join in: For me G0D = all that is Good and generates, all that is 0rderly and originates and all that delivers and is Desirable.

Any god that can be described as one who exists and occupies a place in space and time is simply an idol. Idols can be beautiful works of art, but I do not confuse them, or even any one of them, with GOD.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
"Something Infinity Absolute"

If God is infinite, and the Universe (cosmos) is infinite; then, in spite of what one might do with mathematics, God must be the Universe, and the Universe must be God.

What is more, if this is a true infinity, then every particle in the Universe is the Universe, and is therefore God.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
If God is infinite, and the Universe (cosmos) is infinite; then, in spite of what one might do with mathematics, God must be the Universe, and the Universe must be God.
Bill S, are you telling us that this is what you believe to be true? How familiar are you with the theology of Baruch Spinoza--very much respected by Einstein, by the way--who, IMO, were panentheists (similar to unitheism).

I conditionally agree with you.

SOMATOLOGY--the study of the body and matter
In my opinion, yes! But keep the following in mind: While I agree that reductionism--the approach loved by physicists who worship materialism--has its place, the Universe, for me, is much more than just a somatological (physical, material) object, or construct--one that can be reduced to measurable bits and pieces.

PSYCHOLOGY--study of the mind
For me, the Universe is also a psychological, or mental construct. I am of the opinion that every living being, including you and I, is busy right now constructing the universe according to the kind of brain mechanism we happen to have. I admit that I could be wrong, but for me: Though we may agree that there are many things which we hold in common, my universe is my universe. And, your universe is your universe. Therefore, when you say
Quote:
What is more, if this is a true infinity, then every particle in the Universe is the Universe, and is therefore God.

PNEUMATOLOGY--study of the spirit
I will assume you are serious. If so, what you say is amazing. And I have no problem with this.

IMO, this leads us to what I call the pneumatological, or spiritual, construct. For me, the somatic and psychosomatic universe both have their roots in what I call the [b]pneuma-psychosomatic phenomenon.

Bill S, after I get your response, I will say more about this...

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
S
OP Offline
S
Quote:

If God is infinite, and the Universe (cosmos) is infinite;
then, in spite of what one might do with mathematics, God must be the Universe, and the Universe must be God.

What is more, if this is a true infinity, then every particle in the Universe is the Universe,
and is therefore God.

Infinity is the cause of the crisis in Physics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
============ . .

S
OP Offline
S
Does infinity have any physical parameter?
Socratus.
===============.

Megastar
Megastar
Does infinity have any physical parameter?
Socratus.
Socratus, to whom is this question asked? What do modern physicists say? Do they have a specific answer?

For me, infinity is the state of being infinite.

GOD AND PHYSICAL NATURE
In my opinion, physically speaking, the infinite is that which, like GOD, is without limits or bounds--that which is endless, in all directions.

THE VALUE OF HAVING LIMITS
It seems that, within limits, we can measure the parts close to us.

S
OP Offline
S
We cannot touch, see, hear and smell God
and therefore God is Nothingness, Emptiness
The law number one:
Physics cannot live without Emptiness
The law number two:
The Emptiness isn’t emptiness
The law number three:
The fool won’t understand,
The ignorant won’t recognize
=.

Megastar
Megastar
Socratus, this evening I heard a commercial-free interview by Thom Hartman--it was more like a conversation--with the physicist Michio Kaku (New York University) on my TV www.rt.com He talked about his new book, Physics of The Future--about his work with string theory.

I first heard of MK in 2008? Are you and other scientists reading this post familiar with the work of MK? Is he taken seriously?

http://rt.com/programs/big-picture/great-minds-weekly-rumble/

Because much of what M. Kaku says fits in with the theology of unitheism, I naturally hope that what the string theorists are saying is so. We'll wait and see.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Revlgking

Is he taken seriously?
http://rt.com/programs/big-picture/great-minds-weekly-rumble/
Because much of what M. Kaku says fits in with the theology of unitheism,
I naturally hope that what the string theorists are saying is so.
We'll wait and see.

===========.
The book : ‘ The trouble with Physics’. By Lee Smolin
===.
My brief comment.
Before physicist thought about particles as a ‘ points ‘.
Now they think ‘… particles could not be seen as points,
which is how they always been seen before.
Instead, they were ‘stringlike’, existing only in a single
dimension, and could be stretched, . .And . . . they vibrated.’
/ Page 103. /
‘ . . the idea of particles
as vibrations of strings was the missing link that could work
powerfully to resolve many open problems.’
/ Page 124./
And the string can have different geometric forms:
‘String can be both closed and
open. A closed string is a loop.
An open string is a line; it has ends’. / Page 106./
#
But there are many string theories. ( ! )
And the growing catalogue of string theories evokes trouble.
And therefore Lee Smolin wrote:
‘ – the missing element – must have been
one of the earliest triumphs of abstract thinking.’
/ Page 102/ . . . . and
‘ . . . at least one big idea is missing.
How do we find that missing idea?’ / Page 308. /
==.
Question:
How is it possible to take the string ‘ missing idea’ seriously?
===.
P.S.
More information: - Hallelujah !! String Theory !!
http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=36493
==.

Megastar
Megastar
OK, so what does your version of the "springy circle"--or perhaps it is a springy globe-like app (a SGA) or widget?--have to do with the "where-ness" or "who-ness" of 'god'?

=================================
Socratus, not that it matters, but were you raised in a traditional kind of Judaism? Or what?

For you, was there, or is there now, a who-like kind of 'god' anywhere--a 'god' with dimensions and who exists separate and apart from us? For you, is there, like the Bible stories imply, A 'god' who blesses us, or who sends us to the fire-and-brimstone of hell? Or to the joys of heaven?

As I said to Orac, if anyone thinks I am being too curious here, just tell me so. I'm very easy--feel free to be frank with me and tell me it is none of my business.

Thinking about your interesting ideas: How would you describe them to bright young and curious twelve-year children, or younger. How do we explain the nature and function of this "springy circle" or whatever it really is?

Perhaps within each of our body cells there are billions of SGA's that vibrate like the strings of a piano and they function to program us to be who we are.

Perhaps it is what I would call a god-like and self-directing SGA one that does its own thing regardless of what we think about it.

LET US FOCUS ON KNOWLEDGEAbout which Michio Kakus writes in his new book, Physics of the Future.

Is SGA--be they circular or globular--simply the way to a limitless source of a GOD-like kind of power-giving knowledge of the kind we all need--whether it be physical, mental or spiritual.

I have come to accept that this knowledge is like light from the sun.

Our sun is the source of so much that we human beings--not being insects, or mushrooms, that thrive in the dark--need and highly value. But, we need to also be aware: Too much sun does make a desert, eh?

I have also come to accept that the light of knowledge is only available to us, if, and when, we consciously connect with it and tap into it. Progress takes effort.

Accepting this is what really helps us--me at least--live life to the full.

IN 2005, OUT OF THE BLUE, THE FOLLOWING CAME TO MY ATTENTION. AT THE TIME I WAS 75--and an admirer of my daughter's use of Yoga.

Looking for new ways to greet the day with a healthy kind of exercise, I developed the following morning habit, or ritual:

Though I am retired and in no rush in the morning, I am still a relatively-early riser. But I am not, and never have been, a natural morning person. That is, I tend to feel down, in the blahs (the blues? Surely grays is the proper word?) in the morning.

What is your down-time of day? Your uptime? We all differ.

However, when I awake, the first thing I do is this: I drag myself out of bed, go to the bathroom, have a pee, look at myself in the mirror and shout: GOOD GOD!!! IT'S MORNING! Then I grin grin and try to fake a laugh laugh

Not really! Because my wife (who is a retired teacher) is usually still asleep. Though I would like to make a noise, I do not actually shout out LOUD. I only do so, silently.

BTW, I honestly envy those who can wake up feeling good and are able to say, cheerfully: GOOD MORNING GOD!

Why do I give vent--though it be in silence--and say how I feel?

A SUMMARY OF HOW I USUALLY BEGIN THE DAY: If one is in a rush to get to work--been there and done that for over 40 fast-moving years--the following can be done within 20 minutes.

Also keep in mind that this method combines exercise, bathing (or showering) and a morning devotions (meditation, prayers, whatever). What a bargain! And you got it here, courtesy www.flfcanada.com Don't tell me there is no "FREE" lunch.
============================================
I do the following because, I find that by being honestly aware of how I feel and facing honestly how I feel helps me wake up and feel better, if not now, later.

Doing some simply tai chi stretches also helps. By then I am ready for # 2 and for a shave.

COLOURS HAVE HEALING POWER
============================
Then I go to a colour chart that I have on the bedroom wall. It has the following colours: a vibrant blue, a lemon yellow, a Chinese red and an emerald green.

As I do rites #1 and # 3, of the Five Tibetan Rites--
http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm
--I focus on the 4 colours--one at a time.

I GIVE COLOURS MEANINGS
Vibrant blue inspires me to say to myself: I AM, therefore, I have the power to choose, and to will. Regardless of how I feel, I can choose to be, or not to be... Meanwhile, I leave it to G0d operating in my cells to change my feelings. Me? I am responsible for what I will to feel, not what I feel.

Lemon yellow inspires me to say to myself: I WILL AND CHOOSE to think, learn, know and, therefore, understand.

Chinese red inspires me to say: I CHOOSE AND WILL TO CONNECT WITH THE POWER OF GOD--all the power I need to get things done. It energizes me. It also inspires me to pay attention to my breathing and oxygenate every cell in need of oxygen.

Emerald green inspires me to grow as I need to grow. Take note: On a clear day the sky is blue and the sun is a golden yellow. Blue and yellow make green--the "green, green grass of home".

I do rites # 2,4,5 while I am having a bath (shower).
B.A.T.H. I chose to be Be Aware & Think Health More conservative religionists could make it Born Again & Think Holy.

Take further note: No dogma is intended here: There are, depending on your preferences, other moves that can be used. Other imagery that can be added. Send along yours. I expect you to use your imagination, of which Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

But beware, the bad news is: Imagination is a two-edged sword. An evil imagination can be a dangerous and destructive one.

The good news is: A good imagination can be more helpful and more constructive.

Using the human ability to say I am, I will, therefore, I choose to imagine, to visualize and to meta-tate--that is I will use my head (the French say tete) but I also choose to go beyond (meta) it.

The bottom line is: I can connect with, tune into and in the silence say: I am, therefore I have the power to will, choose and think. Thinking leads to knowledge, which can lead to understanding (wisdom).

Immediately--in any situation, no matter how difficult--we can intuitively be led to take the right action; the right what to do about it. You and I will be led to the people we need, to the people who need us and to the things that need to be done and enjoy doing.

We are here to learn what we need to learn, to know what we need to do, and I do what needs to be done.

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/14/11 01:41 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

S
OP Offline
S

GOOD MORNING GOD !
=================.
Everybody creates his God according to his own image and spirit.
If triangles made a God they would give him three sides.
/ Charles de Montesquieu . Persian Letters, 1721 /
#
If physicists made a God they would give him
concrete physical parameters.
/ Israel Socratus /
=================..

Last edited by socratus; 08/18/11 04:46 AM.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.