Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
It is my belief that the infinite series may have much in common with Father Christmas. Impostors appearing in his guise are commonplace, but who can claim to have seen the real thing?

There never was nothing.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
It is my belief that the infinite series may have much in common with Father Christmas. Impostors appearing in his guise are commonplace, but who can claim to have seen the real thing?

What do you mean? As the subject says, they're ubiquitous. What's the real thing? They're just mathematical ideas by definition so if there was anything like it in the real world it wouldn't be an infinite series.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
What do you mean?

I mean that practically everything I read about infinity seems to use the infinite series, in one guise or another, to "prove" that is possible to have an infinite number of finite things.

Actually, I was just looking for something that might tempt you into an exchange. smile

There never was nothing.
K
K
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

In general, infinity is a very abstract concept and it’s hard to relate it to practical or observable physics or reality.

In previous posts, I have implied that mathematical infinities can be applied to physical reality especially if some normalization is performed. On another thread, I was beginning to do this normalization through quantization (Planck Limits as a function or conversion.)

One aspect of this type of infinity is that you are dealing with the infinitely small/large or infinitely short/long or infinitely light/heavy.

To me, infinite series is a different animal. This application of infinity is much more difficult to relate to in practice. For instance; it is difficult to even find ways that this is used outside of mathematical (abstract) realms.

I found out that it is used in jpeg compression which surprised me because I always thought it was another more common technique that was being used. Apparently by storing the first few numbers of an infinite series, it can be used to restore “infinite” detail (a.k.a. fractal). Common sense tells me that this potential is still limited or quantized at the last step.

I found another physical application that seemed more useful: A bouncing ball. Forgive the pun but; this is more fun to play with. I think that it’s interesting to compare a bouncing ball on Earth to bouncing universes. On Earth, there are probably very few people that believe that the ball bounces forever while conversely, perpetually bouncing universes don’t put a strain on the senses.

I invite correction on the following: The Earth ball’s sequential repetitive cycles are reduced primarily by friction (molecular level collisions). To a lesser extent it is also reduced by heat generated with its repetitive collisions with the Earth…but these are merely the reducing agents. Friction will not suspend the ball in midair. I don’t think that the bouncing continues on down to a Planck level but I think that it is pretty close to a quantum level. Although I’m not prepared to declare exactly what happens just prior to the resting point; I do believe that something succeeds in bringing it to a halt. For all I know; maybe it’s ionic bonding at a molecular level. The most important aspect is that the ball comes to a rest. Bouncing universe, devoid of any losses probably results in a physical infinite series: (the incremental count of successive cycles).

Basically, I am trying to "prove" that; in at least one instance, finite is compatible with infinity in a possible physical reality.

However, I think that there are two instances: a quantized finite present is compatible with eternity.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: KirbyGillis
To me, infinite series is a different animal. This application of infinity is much more difficult to relate to in practice. For instance; it is difficult to even find ways that this is used outside of mathematical (abstract) realms.

Infinite series' are widely used in engineering, using calculus. One major part of calculus training is how to determine the sum of an infinite series. There are some series' that can't be summed, but many can be summed to a finite value.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
K
K
“Infinite series' are widely used in engineering, using calculus. One major part of calculus training is how to determine the sum of an infinite series.”

For sure. All kinds of math including arithmetic is used as a tool in engineering as well as probabilities and statistics.

The jpeg example was a physical example because the program eventually runs through hardware. The bouncing ball is obvious.

What are some of the other examples?...the more the merrier.

I just thought of another one: When the Golden Ratio is applied to infinite series the resulting form can be found readily in nature... fractals also. It seems like orbital decay is another... hey, how about just decay. Maybe it's not that hard after all. Thanks Bill.

“There are some series' that can't be summed, but many can be summed to a finite value.”

Yes…and I plan on using one of those in the future.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Kirby
Basically, I am trying to "prove" that; in at least one instance, finite is compatible with infinity in a possible physical reality

By this, do you mean that you are trying to prove that something finite can become infinite? In some ways, I wish you could. It might stop me asking silly questions, and killing threads by introducing infinity. smile

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.