Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
benice
Unregistered
benice
Unregistered
B

The surface in above image is a portion of the graph of
some mathematical equation.

Let's do some brainstorming:
Can you guess what's inside the surface?

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Tubes?

Superstar
Superstar
I think it looks like Easter bunny peeps.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Well YOU said its FUNNY math art

The funny.. plus whats inside ...makes it difficult to guess

Is it some sort of 3D Quadratic maths formula?
Part of A (human)Genenetic algorithm?
An aluminium casting, part of an engineering project?
Bugs Bunny in an aluminium mask?

I give up, but give us a clue and we will try/guess again?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

K
K
This is a good one. I have already spent more than an hour analyzing this but to no avail. It is very difficult to even come up with a factual premise.

If we look at the front, it looks like 2 of the 3 parallel 2D plates are morphing into a single curved shaped geometry with 2 sides. This tells me that the math operation is more pronounced going from left to right as compared to front to back or top to bottom.

Top to bottom seems like a consistent function that is not accumulating severity.

The left to right function seems to be the key to most of this. I find myself wishing that there were 3 more frames of information available. As we go from left to right it seems like the topography dynamics are getting more and more compressed.

When I look at the front section quickly; it looks like a part bolted to a manifold but that “look” doesn’t seem to alter as fast as the “manifold” itself.

When I look at the cut-off cross section on the right the concentric tubular look could just be more of the math being applied and I can’t “take it to the bank” that the core is not a wire frame so it raises more questions that it answers.

When I analyze the left-side only (which seems to be the origin); it seems that whatever is inside (the root) is a 3D object with an x y z characteristic, so I don’t think that it is developed or extruded from a 2D object.

When I look at the “symmetry” of the 2 apparent objects; I can’t rule out the possibility that each one has a bi-lateral look due to a mathematical “reflection arrangement” (di-polar). Once again the front section is more bi-lateral than the top.

All of this caused me to look at more math art on the web. The first thing that I noticed is that every other manifestation had a more obvious tessellation than this one but that could be because of my limited view. Once again; I wish that I could sample more frames. While on the web, I couldn’t find anything that had this lack of symmetry.

As far as what’s inside: I actually was able to come up with more usage for the the resulting surface that anything that I could imagine to be inside.

I really “attacked” this benice. I used every trick and technique that I could muster.

I visually “forced” it to hang from the ceiling instead of come up from the floor. I looked at it from the side and the back. From the back it looks like 2 race cars. It also looks like an action figure. I covered up the bi-lateral look to see what was left. I exchanged the figure and the background…

These are the following objects that I have seen during the duration of my attempts:

Race car, action figure, battery terminal, pneumatic manifold, a hinge, plastic snap lock, zipper, solid state object bolted to a heat sink, DNA, a face, a print character, ballon animal pressing against a window…

I can’t say that I didn’t try but I can’t seem to make any headway. Even if I could succeed in finding the root, I’m probably not going to figure out what math is being applied.

Forget the race car. I just recognized that the back row is a partial repeat of some of the front.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Why am I even talking to this man? We occupy different universes.

There never was nothing.
K
K
“Why am I even talking to this man? We occupy different universes.”

That concerns me, given your background (psychiatry?) I hope that this isn’t a diagnosis.

It occurs to me that of all the sciences; that psychology is so bound to causal relationships in practice that it’s not even funny. Sure, remediation techniques are the other half of it but without proper analysis it wouldn’t be methodical. Whereas an engineer can opt to employ interative processes from his bag of tricks…for you, it was probably a last resort. Also, on occasions an engineer needs to reverse engineer an existing product while for you it was a mainstay. I can only imagine that you were pretty good at it and you probably helped a lot of people.

You have said that you are no scientist but I think that you have been one all along.

My thought processes are unconventional and at times it probably seems like I left the science of epistemology fall to the wayside. I can only assure you that; to me, it doesn’t seem to be the case.

The respect and awe that I have for the great minds of the past like Newton, Maxwell and Einstein is immeasurable. So is my irreverence. This is not driven by ego and arrogance. I honor them by attempting to stand on their shoulders to see a little more. That fact that I don’t agree with them 100% is merely a consequence of progress.

I don’t know why you talk to me…I only know why I talk to you. You’re smart, clever, curious…you think outside the box, your abstract capacity is through the roof, you aspire, you’re always polite, you practice epistemology… what’s not to like?

BTW, what do you see when you look at the above graph?

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:

I see someone I would like to be. Thanks, I definitely know who to go to if I need a good reference. smile

BTW, I do know why I talk to you, it's just that you leave me standing with posts like your first in this thread.

There never was nothing.
K
K
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:

I see someone I would like to be. Thanks, I definitely know who to go to if I need a good reference. smile

BTW, I do know why I talk to you, it's just that you leave me standing with posts like your first in this thread.

As far is this thread goes it was really a very long winded way of saying “I don’t have clue”.

And then I go on and list all of my failures. For good or bad; I wanted the OP to know that some people had spent time on it. In hindsight, I think that I probably over-analyzed it. Maybe the two apparent objects are exactly equal despite appearances and I made a mountain out of a mole hill.

At either rate it is the OP that is holding us all hostages at this point.

I don’t know if you meant that I leave you standing as in “hanging” but there are host of reasons why that could happen.

Sometimes, I’m so polite that it’s impolite.

Sometimes, there are time constraints. For instance; that will get worse because I start my new job tomorrow and I was unemployed for nearly 2 years. I don’t see anyway that my responsiveness will improve.

Sometimes, I’m concerned with intrusion and I don’t want to spend time on an idea that no one want to hear about.

And there are many, many more reasons.

In other threads, I have seen you mention to some one that there was a point or question left unanswered and I invite you to do the same with me.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I start my new job tomorrow

Good luck in your new job. I hope it will be satisfying. I also hope it will not curtail your posting too much, that would be a major loss for this forum.

Quote:
In other threads, I have seen you mention to some one that there was a point or question left unanswered and I invite you to do the same with me.

Thanks, you can rely on that, as long as I understood what you were saying in the first place. smile

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.