Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: QTthecamel
No. It's called GLOBAL warming for a reason.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.A2.pdf

So?

Superstar
Superstar
kallog,
I tried your link and got a big black nothing, then a big white nothing. Can you fix the link? Or find another?

Thanks,

Amaranth

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
kallog,
I tried your link and got a big black nothing, then a big white nothing. Can you fix the link? Or find another?

Hi. I didn't post a link in this thread. But a recent user did, and I can see a graph of global temperatures. Maybe you have an incompatible PDF viewer or something?

Superstar
Superstar
It must be my computer. I can't get anything to come up. Sorry for the mixup, I didn't pay attention to the quote window.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

C
C
For now it cannot be proven nor disproved to an absolute degree. One side will tell you the temperature, the ice caps melting and the climate change is a natural cycle. On the other hand, they say green house gases, massive amount of pollution and the increase in the human population have sped up this natural cycle.

The way I see it these so called 'conscience' businesses profit by producing green friendly appliances, automobiles and electronics at higher market value forcing the younger generation to cough up their trust funds so they can seem 'intelligent' in front of their friends.

Should energy companies switch to alternative fuel? Yes. Definitely since this will only boost their home economy by relying on solar, wind and other alternative fuels by cutting off all the middle men outside their homes (i.e. the middle east nations). In return the switch would create more jobs, the middle east would cease to have the upper hand within the power struggle within the world for oil, which would lead to a more stabilized area with less conflicts.

It would cost the companies during the shift but I believe they would bounce right back as no longer are the mass population ignorant of these alternative fuels. They're would be a huge surge in people signing up as long as the corporation take the hit by lowering costs or at least matching their oil consuming counterparts for the first few years but eventually the revenue stream would stabilize or more likely reach higher proportion.

Looking at the North American culture today, being conscientious as a consumer is 'in' thing right now; the only problem is no one wants to pay the high prices (both consumer and producer).

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: Chasing Euphoria

younger generation to cough up their trust funds so they can seem 'intelligent' in front of their friends.

Absolutely. It's being milked by every bussinessman and his dog. Even my toilet calls itself "Green Building Materials".

Quote:

Should energy companies switch to alternative fuel? Yes. Definitely since this will only boost their home economy by relying on solar, wind and other alternative

It'll only boost the economy if it's cheaper. Currently it's not. Maybe it will become that way in comparison to fossil fuels, but I think it'll be a long time before wind can compete with coal on cost alone.

Quote:

fuels by cutting off all the middle men outside their homes (i.e. the middle east nations). In return the switch would create more jobs, the middle east would cease to have the upper hand within the power struggle within the world for oil, which would lead to a more stabilized area with less conflicts.

This is just classic American nationalist rhetoric. Boosting jobs means paying workers. If they're not producing anything better than we had before then it's not really any better than boosting unemployment benefits. Middle east peace? Plenty of middle east countries are pretty peaceful, and rich from oil. It's usually poverty that leads to political instability and wars.

There's also a problem of portable power. It's all very well having loads of cheap electricity but how do we power our cars with it? Expensive short-lived batteries using toxic, environmentally damaging, war-promoting African minerals? Fuel cells using limited on-board hydrogen tanks and super-rare platinum?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.