Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37268 01/31/11 05:01 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

I predict the time is coming closer when we will grow our own meat, at home in our own kitchens.
And why not? We produce our own Yoghurts, as well as Beer and Wines.
Dutch scientist with funding from the Dutch Goverment started experimenting on producing cultured Meat, back in 2001.
Another organisation then offered a $1million X-Style prize to any group that could produce (grow) meat by 2012.
It looks like the prize is going to be won in just a few years.
A number of countries have set up Laboratories to culture real meat, including the USA.
The United Nations expect the consumption of meat and dairy products to double by 2050.
I think we all know that the production of Beef Cattle for the dinner table is very inefficient in terms of fuel in (grasses).
Getting rid of millions of cattle world wide will be beneficable to our enviroment, and get rid of one of the main sources of Methane, as well as land and river pollution, in the form of, heavy metals, hormones, additives, antibiotics, and other unhealthy chemicals.

The more I think about it the more advantages I think there are in growing artificial meat or Bio-meat.
It will free up billions of acres of land for homes and forestry.
The 'World Population Clock' (URL below)

http://www.worldometers.info/

.......tells us that there are 7 Trillion of us now, and it wont be too long before World population reaches 10 trillion. Then where are we going to get the land to build and live upon?
I think then we will have to get rid of all the animals that live on this Planet.
No I am not joking.....I have thought about this for a day or two, else where are we going to get the space to grow our food, and build cities, and keep our inefficient food producing animals?

My Answer-Get rid of all 4 legged animals, it will certainly happen slowly at first, animal grazing areas are closed down to make the space for our increased population.
The world is short of food already so its unlikely that we can grow enough crops (water problems) to feed our 10 Billion, even if cattle are killed all over the world.
It seems the future answer really is "Grow Our Own Hamburgers"

There must be other advantages? Like getting rid of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), Avian influenza, Campylobacter, pathogenic E. coli, as well as all the extra Grain and feed saved by not giving it to cattle, to help feed our hungry masses!

Yes, my idea of getting rid of all animals, besides getting rid of animal diseases and pollution, should cut down on Mosquitoes and flies and other nasties. I cant really fault this one.
But lets get back to Growing our own Meat....well its got to come has'nt it? Give the scientists about 5 years and it will be sold in all the Supermarkets...As Bio-Meat ?
Wow, plain muscle meat with NO fat, so very good for our hearts.
No more abattoirs, no more animal suffering.
Is it slowly sinking in and making sense, to all Vegans, Hallal and Kosher eaters?
Four legs bad, Vio-Meat good.*

YIKES, I have just found a man who is growing his own house, out of Pigskin...!@£*?%?
Well he is a Scientist (I think), called Mitchell Joachim from 'Terreform' and he is growing pigskin on Sheets of plastic substrate, and using them as walls.
Grown in a similar manner as a surgeon will cultivate skin tissue for
people badly burnt.
Ok well...if you must read about it, ......its here-:

http://inhabitat.com/in-vitro-habitat-a-house-made-of-meat/

But vitro, or Cultured meat is here:-

http://www.mahalo.com/in-vitro-meat/

Older article here:-

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=newpost&Board=1

*from the book, Animal Farm by George Orwell
(this book was banned in the USA for many years)
"Two legs bad, four legs good".

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I grew up in a very urban environment in the UK. Food was severely rationed and we grew vegetables, had fruit trees and had chickens for meat and eggs. We also had some enormous rabbits, a Dutch breed, which were to be for meat. This was not a big success as my father was too soft hearted to kill them! I agree that your ideas would alleviate some of the suffering that the animals we kill for food go through.

Perhaps instead of getting rid of all meat animals we should be farming small ones, like rabbits! They take up a very small space. Bunnyburgers sound like a possibility and as I live in Australia I have few fond feelings towards rabbits!!

I'm not very taken with the thought of sheets of pigskin as building material, though I suppose when the End Of The World comes next year you could eat the walls. When we examine where our food originates already, such bio-engineering as you suggest should not be too difficult for us to accept fairly readily.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Ellis
I grew up in a very urban environment in the UK. Food was severely rationed and we grew vegetables, had fruit trees and had chickens for meat and eggs. We also had some enormous rabbits, a Dutch breed, which were to be for meat. This was not a big success as my father was too soft hearted to kill them! I agree that your ideas would alleviate some of the suffering that the animals we kill for food go through.

Perhaps instead of getting rid of all meat animals we should be farming small ones, like rabbits! They take up a very small space. Bunnyburgers sound like a possibility and as I live in Australia I have few fond feelings towards rabbits!!

I'm not very taken with the thought of sheets of pigskin as building material, though I suppose when the End Of The World comes next year you could eat the walls. When we examine where our food originates already, such bio-engineering as you suggest should not be too difficult for us to accept fairly readily.

[Quote=Mike Kremer]
Hi Ellis, food rationing Huh? I remember that, it looks as though you are approaching my age, I believe I'm the oldest member (agewise) on SAGG.
Advantages are..a long memory full of ideas from the past.
I have seen a picture of one of those G'normous rabbits,they must make a lovely pet. Problem is very few people would willingly kill and eat their pet, whatever animal they had.
Pigskin Walls and the end of the world. Well the Mayan calender does come to an end in Dec:2012, along with other predictions from Mother Shipton, Nostradamus, etc
With the way the world is going, I expect there will be more believers for the end in 2012 than ever before. Another subject for discussion?
Back to artificial food and meat.
I wonder what the requirements of this type of food would be needed for acceptance. A Spiralina Meat Pasta, with added vitmains, minerals, and a bulking agent, food for thought...Hehehe.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Mike- I think Rev is older than both of us! Those rabbits are still farmed in Holland I believe. Their fur was also used for coats etc,

I'm not being extremely flippant when I say living in Oz this summer has been .... interesting ... to say the least!

So far there was The Drought, of biblical proportions, which heralded a locust plague --followed by the floods of biblical proportions. Two cyclones, one on either side of the country, then another HUGE cyclone last weekend. And this week in Victoria there was the steadily still-creeping flood in the western part balanced by a raging bush-fire in the Eastern half.

This is not very normal and we may need to know how to produce artificial food as there are not going to be many farms left that aren't blown away, underwater or burning at this rate and it's not even 2012 yet!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.