Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
If one considers the photon as the quantum of energy, and Planck time and length as the quanta of time and space, respectively; would it be reasonable to assume that there a quantum of angular measurement?

There never was nothing.
K
K
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
If one considers the photon as the quantum of energy, and Planck time and length as the quanta of time and space, respectively; would it be reasonable to assume that there a quantum of angular measurement?

You certainly have a knack for posing interesting questions. My answer to this one is: I don’t know…don’t have a clue. As usual, that doesn’t mean that words escape me.

There are 2 ways that we can view the effect of quantum limits: on a large scale, we can only transverse x amount of Planck Lengths in a single Planck Time. When pushed to the limit, the resulting speed equals c.

On a small scale, we can not “take a step” that is less than half of Planck Length because we would merely snap back to our original position.

It seems to me that angular increments might have a similar “duality”…so this is what I propose:

From a static position, you are free to start in any direction… the full 360. Once you are in motion; restrictions begin to apply. Let’s say that you are in motion and that you have achieved 99.9999% c; it is impossible to make any sudden turns…even little minute ones (except for one). We can easily assign this maximum angle at a maximum speed a quantum value, (Planck’s Angle?)

Now let’s return to the small scale viewpoint. If you are traveling at the slowest speed possible…let’s say 1 Planck Length during 1 Planck Time and you want to suddenly change direction 90 degrees; perhaps this can only be accomplished by making a series of minute “left turns”.

Perhaps you have introduced another application for the Lorentz Transform.

However, when I think of light reflecting off a mirror; it seems to belie this notion.

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
The question of possible/impossible angles of turn was an aspect I had not thought of.

I was thinking more along the lines of turning something like a dial. The motion might seem smooth, but would it in fact be moving in a series of "jerks" that were too small for us to detect, but which constituted the smallest possible amount of rotation?

There never was nothing.
K
K
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
The question of possible/impossible angles of turn was an aspect I had not thought of.

I was thinking more along the lines of turning something like a dial. The motion might seem smooth, but would it in fact be moving in a series of "jerks" that were too small for us to detect, but which constituted the smallest possible amount of rotation?

Quantum angles makes a lot of sense and it is seems consistent with other aspects of quantum limitations. Be it rotation or motion, I don't have a problem with it (except for that dang light reflection thing).

Where's Rede when you need him? smile

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Where's Rede when you need him?

Un-rede, perhaps. smile

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.