Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 61 of 120 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 119 120
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I was not looking for anything too technical, just trying to clarify your statement:
Quote:
In other words, our physical universe came from nothing '0' and is expanding into everything 'O'--from zero to infinity--Omni-presence.

If zero does not = infinity, then in moving from 0 to infinity the Universe would change from finite to infinite.

If 0 = Inf. this change would be necessary only if there were a finite intermediate stage.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:
-from zero to infinity-

Two questions come to mind here:
1. Does zero = infinity?
2. In progressing from zero to infinity, is there a finite, intermediate state?
Bill, interesting questions, thanks. Here is a suggestion:
Anyone in NQS, or among the readers, who are skilled in higher maths? Let us ask for help. Surely, with over 1,900,000 hits on this thread, there must be one skilled in maths.

How about you? What are your skills?

My higher math skills go back to high school science-- physics, chemistry and the like in 1946, and stopped there. I still remember I=E/R.

Interestingly, it is about Ohm's law, which is: The intensity of the current (in amperes) equals the electro magnetic force (in volts) divided by the resistance (in ohms).

Georg Simon Ohm, a German physicist introduced the idea in 1826. Because of resistance to his new idea, it took seven years (1833) before it was accepted.
===========================================

I wonder: Could it be that there is a parable here about how we ought to handle news ideas. Could it be that we ought to welcome new ideas--even ones that sound crazy at first--and, without too much resistance, explore and test them with an open-mind.

Last edited by Revlgking; 12/11/10 04:45 AM. Reason: good idea

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
did something odd happen to our posts, or is there an echo in here?

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Hello! What did you say? Hello! What did you say? The voice of GOD, perhaps? smile
BTW, I wonder: Is there anyway to remove a double post? Moderator, feel free to help.

BTW, can anyone explain electric intensity, force and resistance?

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Could it be that we ought to welcome new ideas--even ones that sound crazy at first--and, without too much resistance, explore and test them with an open-mind.

I think this is a great philosophy, and one that I try to follow. However, there seem to be two major stumbling blocks, examples of both of which can easily be found on a number of threads on this site.
1. The person proposing the idea takes offence when asked questions, and resorts to "ad hominem" attacks, which militate against reasonable discussion.
2. There are those who pour scorn on the proposed theory before any discussion can get under way.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Bill, speaking for myself only: I have not experienced a lot of AH attacks over the last few months, thank GOD. Have you? Surely it should be down to zero in this season when we all hope for, "Peace on earth and good will to all men ... and women, especially Ellis :)"

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rev
I have not experienced a lot of AH attacks over the last few months, thank GOD. Have you?

Like me, I think you do your best to avoid unpleasant exchanges, perhaps it is a sign that we are getting on a bit. smile

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
... Like me, I think you do your best to avoid unpleasant exchanges, perhaps it is a sign that we are getting on a bit. smile
I agree, of course age does mellow some people. But, IMO, only when we deliberately make the pneumatological choice to be conscious and aware of what it means to be humane, not just human, beings. BTW, is it clear to you what I mean when I use the word pneumatological'? The Nazis were human beings, but were any of them humane ones?

I wonder, how many of us aging human beings out there are just as Scrooge-like as was the fictional Scrooge in the famous novel, Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens?

BTW, though he was a great writer, an excellent story teller, and the father of ten children he had the dickens of a sad married life. For an interesting account of some of the story of his personal history--some of which could be scuttlebutt--go to Wikipedia, check out Dickens, and follow the links. Here is one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Ternan

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
is it clear to you what I mean when I use the word pneumatological'?

Yes, we had a brief exchange about that some time ago. I think I came close to offending you, quite unintentionally. smile

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
IMO, being pneumatological is about having the ability to be introspective about oneself and about feeling empathy towards, and having compassion for, others.

We can also be pneumatologically negative. That is, we can intentionally choose to offend and even plot the destruction of others. This is what sin--the intentional doing of that which is evil--is all about.

Pneumatologically speaking: Best wishes for this wonderful time of the year and a Happy New Year.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Best wishes to all fellow posters. I look forward to some lively exchanges in 2011.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
TO ONE AND ALL IN 2011

I can imagine a wise news editor of a city paper sending the following good wish to his writing staff this, or any year:

"Happy News Year!
======================
Whether the news this year be good, bad, or indifferent, it will be a good one for you, especially if you get your fair share of by-lines published and your stories well read.

"If not, Let's have a positive and constructive chat, in my office, soon. smile THE GOOD NEWS is:

Fear not, I am here to help all of us working at this paper be better communicators. Keep in mind: We are interested in being of service to our total community--and not just at this wonderful time of year."

Would it not be wonderful if all businesses had such wise and good leaders?

=============================================

Having raised the issue of making a New Year's resolutions, I will now ask:
Generally speaking, does the making of resolutions have any real personal and social value? If not, why not? If yes, in what way?

Either way, let's have a dialogue about the way "The News" is reported but "The authorities", and consumed by us. [More later.]

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
does the making of resolutions have any real personal and social value?

I would say that a resolution is potentially valuable if its objective is to make the world a better place, and that it fulfils that potential to the extent to which it is maintained.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Correction:
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
TO ONE AND ALL IN 2011-Either way, let's have a dialogue about the way "The News" is reported but...
Bill, of course I meant to write:
Quote:
by "The authorities", and consumed by us.
Bill, I am sure that you, being an astute poster, caught the error. However, I wanted to make sure that my meaning is as clear as possible.

I assume that we all know that history is replete with stories--some true; and perhaps some are not completely so--of how miscommunication affected history. For example, take a look at:

http://myfivebest.com/five-ways-miscommunication-led-to-disaster/

THE FIRST PROPHETS AND PRIESTS--the clergy--WERE PROBABLY OUR FIRST PROFESSIONALS: TEACHERS, DOCTORS, LAWYERS, WRITERS, AUTHORS, JOURNALISTS--you name it
========================================================
BTW, here's a thought: The Latin verb to write is scribere. The ancients--our ancestors, let us not forget--believed that writing was a gift of the gods (monotheism came later). Scribes, whether they wrote on stones, clay tablets, or on papyrus, wrote scriptura. They really believed they were doing the will of the gods...or God. The idea of G0D & GOD--Yahweh & Elohim--was, then, long way in the future.

What we call the Bible, is really nothing more, or less, than a collection of old and probably popular articles from the scriptura--the ancient papers from the past. Let's face it, some of the scriptura--the Bible--is seldom read, except by scholars.

It is so dull and so boring that it must have been "paid advertising".

And keep in mind: IMO, not even scribes were above being bribed. Or perhaps some of them were the children of Solomon. With a thousand wives, he must have had many sons and daughters who needed a summer job working for the local paper ... Or was it the local clay tablet?

IMO, Moses probably didn't write the books of Moses; he was probably the publisher, and perhaps the editor.

Last edited by Revlgking; 01/05/11 11:06 PM. Reason: Always a good idea!

Megastar
Megastar
Writing about writing:
WOW!!! In the last few days the number of clicks on this thread has surpassed the two-million mark.

Surely, among this number of clicks there must be some math whizzes willing to help us understand--that is, if they really do understand: What is the no-thing and every-thing means--mathematically speaking?

BTW 1. Do I need to remind anyone the names that I use for NO-thing and EVERY-thing?

BTW 2. WIKI has an interesting item on THE HISTORY OF WRITING. It points out that Art and proto-writing came long before what we call phonetic-writing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_writing
==============

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Over 2 million hits and 1214 responses; I wonder if the answer Turner was looking for was in there somewhere.

There never was nothing.
K
K
Originally Posted By: Turner
Not much room for naming a real title that makes sense. Why the limitation, I wonder? In other forums there seems to be lots of room to spell out a title. How come the rationing, here?

What I would like to know is: What is your philosophy of religion, including atheism?

Regarding this topic, I may choose to just sit back and read. But I will read, and listen. Meanwhile, I will add to the other and current thread, as is appropriate.

I think that there are currently about 7 billion different philosophies running around our planet. Religions are just organized, tenuous connections between some of them.

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
Megastar
Megastar
Bill, Ellis--she is the friendly teacher and non-theist from Australia--way back quoted the following from Warren--the artist from Paducah, Illinois, USA.

Now I ask Ellis: Why? What did you have in mind when you quoted Warren?
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Warren wrote:... There is no problem if the believer has a life that allows for consistency, goodness and quality.

However for a person struggling to live a life of brutality, poverty and sorrow the beliefs or promises that would appeal most would be those that would offer exclusive rights to an afterworld of luxury and a god who will reward the believer for the devotion of a life lived in his/her service.

If the god required death then so be it. The hurt of living would be ended and eternity with the god would be the reward. People have always felt that gods (the divine) requires sacrifice.

To me it doesn't make much sense.
To Ellis, Warren, Bill, or anyone: I hope that, by now, all of you understand what I mean when I say: I do not make and/or worship idols, even the ones I make with my mind or imagination. Any God, gods, or a god, as separate beings from us, are idols, to me.

IMO, as good people we are all, potentially, g0ds--note the zero. That is, we are in the eternal Now.

As g0ds (see John 10:34), we exist within GOD--that which is good, omnipresent and desirable. As such, we have the freedom to choose that which is GOD-like, or not so GOD-like.

Look at the many crimes created by potentially creative clergy, despite all that preaching and praying.

Moral and ethical atheists, if you don't like the acronym 'GOD', feel free to make up your own acronym, or word. How about 'Lover'? Or Realist?

The bottom line is: Treat life, self and others, according to the principle of the Golden Rule and I care not what you call yourelves.

Is this concept one that is impossible for readers to understand?

Last edited by Revlgking; 01/23/11 04:59 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

K
K
Over 2 million hits and 1214 responses; I wonder if the answer Turner was looking for was in there somewhere.

I guess that obliterates Marchimedes 155K views. (Religion is still more popular than science.)

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
Megastar
Megastar
KirbyGillis:
May I ask: Who is Marchimedes? Who is he? And what was his topic?

Page 61 of 120 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.