Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36645 11/16/10 06:50 AM
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar

Nov. 14, 2010:
Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found evidence of the youngest black hole known to exist.
The 30-year-old object provides a unique opportunity to watch a black hole develop from infancy.
A 30 Year old Black Hole, thats 50 million light years away from us?
I still hav'nt got over this item, since I first read it. One always imagines Black Holes to be millions of years old. Invisible...and apparently in the center of every Galaxy.
At 30 years old...one must assume its smaller than most.
So, Astronomers should be able to correlate its size to appetite over time, and more.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/14nov_babyblackhole/

There is even a 'Disney like animation' of a Black Hole forming.
Well, the 50 million light years away, pic of the M100
Galaxy (in our cosmic neighbourhood?) is wonderful.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

I
I
Very cool.

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
The black hole was discovered in 1976, about 30 years ago. Obviously the black hole is much older than that as we're seeing the light as it was 30 million years ago, but the light we're seeing is from when the black hole itself was only 30 or so years old.

My understanding is that scientists have seen black holes forming previously, but none so close. I was listening to the radio and not paying a lot of attention, but I thought they said they usually pop up at several billion ly away, which means that we usually see them in forming in other galaxies.

I
I
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
The black hole was discovered in 1976, about 30 years ago. Obviously the black hole is much older than that as we're seeing the light as it was 30 million years ago, but the light we're seeing is from when the black hole itself was only 30 or so years old.

My understanding is that scientists have seen black holes forming previously, but none so close. I was listening to the radio and not paying a lot of attention, but I thought they said they usually pop up at several billion ly away, which means that we usually see them in forming in other galaxies.

The supernova was observed 30 years ago. That it led to a black hole was confirmed recently. Not all supernova make blackholes.

As for the ones you refer to, we've not "seen" them - it is believed that certain types of gamma ray emissions are due to the birth of black holes. We've detected these emissions, but never been able to associate a particular emission with a visual observation of a supernova or other black-hole forming event. This is the first time (that I've heard of) where we have a visual event where a black hole could be found, and for which we have the gamma ray evidence to support black hole formation.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"The supernova was observed 30 years ago."
Correct. I misspoke. (Or misstyped.)

'As for the ones you refer to, we've not "seen" them "
I as speaking metaphorically, but also correct.

"This is the first time (that I've heard of) where we have a visual event where a black hole could be found, and for which we have the gamma ray evidence to support black hole formation."
I missed that point listening to the radio.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
we're seeing the light as it was 30 million years ago,

Should that not be 50 million years.
Nit-pickers of the world, unite.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Should that not be 50 million years.
Nit-pickers of the world, unite.

Yes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.