Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36365 09/30/10 06:02 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Fresh off the wires (yesterdays wires, that is), but astronomers have found the first potentially habitable planet, as in it has the possibility of liquid water on its surface and an atmosphere:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/29/AR2010092907492.html

It has a surface gravity ~3X that of earth, and is tidally locked, so its unlikely the "grays" come from there wink

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Didn't take long to find, and only 20 lt yrs away. Very good news (to me anyway).

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Crankin'! Even without life, maybe somebody can go there oneday! Except for the uncomfortable 3g part.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: K
Even without life, maybe somebody can go there oneday!

Have you started working on your list of people you would like to send there?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Have you started working on your list of people you would like to send there?

Gawdelpus, a planet full of spammers and trolls! Worse than Douglas Adams' Golgafrinchan telephone sanitizers.

Anyway, I'm placing my bet that one day there'll be good evidence of extraterrestrial DNA.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
L
laila34
Unregistered
laila34
Unregistered
L
It has a surface gravity ~3X that of earth, and is tidally locked, so its unlikely the "grays" come from there.
Thanks...

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 10/12/10 01:32 AM. Reason: spam
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
[quote=laila34]It has a surface gravity ~3X that of earth, and is tidally locked, so its unlikely the "grays" come from there.
Thanks...

Hey where's that spam filter again???

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 10/12/10 01:35 AM.
A
Armadillo_Tamer
Unregistered
Armadillo_Tamer
Unregistered
A
"but astronomers have found the first potentially habitable planet, as in it has the possibility of liquid water on its surface and an atmosphere." There is already one found called planet Earth.. wink

Liquid water is not enough of evidence of life, as water is actually quite common, considering Hydrogen is the number one substance, flowed by Helium and Oxygen.

For sure it must have liquid water and an atmosphere, just like all the rocky planets on our solar System, the question is , does it possess oceans? What makes our planet rather unique is not liquid water but the presence of oceans, created during an impact with an object about the size of Mars called Theia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis about 4.5 billions years ago.

The chances of that happening to a different planet to the same way it happened to Earth are rather slim-to-one..

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Armadillo_Tamer
"but astronomers have found the first potentially habitable planet, as in it has the possibility of liquid water on its surface and an atmosphere." There is already one found called planet Earth.. wink

The earth is habitable, not potentially habitable wink

Originally Posted By: Armadillo_Tamer
For sure it must have liquid water and an atmosphere, just like all the rocky planets on our solar System, the question is , does it possess oceans? What makes our planet rather unique is not liquid water but the presence of oceans

Any significant amount of surface water will lead to oceans, no large impacts are required. Mars appears to have had a very large ocean, early in its history. Europa also appears to have oceans; in fact, it may be 100% ocean under its frozen surface.

Whether oceans are required for life to form is a completely different question. Unrooted phylogentic trees suggest that the last universal common ancestor (LUCA) was likely a hypperthermophile - organisms which live in hot-springs, around sub-sea vents, and deep within the crust of the earth itself. Assuming that this indicates the conditions that led to the evolution of the LUCA, an ocean (where abiotic chemicals would be quite dilute) would be one of the last places we'd expect to see life forming. Rather, we'd expect it to occur in hot springs, or perhaps within the crust of the earth itself - i.e. places where appropriate temps and high concentrations of abiotic materials will be maintained.

Bryan

The chances of that happening to a different planet to the same way it happened to Earth are rather slim-to-one.. [/quote]

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.