Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
chicatrooper
Unregistered
chicatrooper
Unregistered
C
Often the best things in life take you completely by surprise, and judging by your feedback in the days and weeks after the inaugural SFX Weekender earlier this year, author Robert Rankin’s stint as host of the SFX Sci-fi Awards was a very pleasant surprise indeed. Back by popular demand then (in fact there’s even a forum thread dedicated to the cause if you don’t take our word for it) we’re delighted to announce that Rankin will be returning to dish out the Golden Rayguns to next year’s lucky winners.

Speaking to SFX Rankin told us: “We had such a wonderful time last year, it was such an honour to present the Lifetime Achievement Award to Gerry Anderson. It was one of the high points of this year, and the next event is something to really look forward to – I already have a fine loud suit for the occasion!” Voting kicks off online on 22 September, which also happens to be the day issue 201 of SFX hits shelves, so be sure to look out for further details there.

With over 30 novels to his name (at least one a year for the past 20 years, he’s one busy chap!) Robert Rankin may well be one of the most prolific SF authors working today. His mind-bending stories defy any kind of pigeon hole description: a metafiction melange of detective fiction, comic fantasy and time-travelling vegetables (yep, you heard that right) that the author likes to describe as “far-fetched fiction”. Featuring dozens of recurring characters and overlapping storylines, many of which are set in the London suburb of Brentford where the author grew up, his work is equal parts satisfying and cranium knotting. His latest novel The Japanese Devil Fish Girl And Other Unusual Attractions, as well as having a doozy of a title, received a glowing four star review in the latest issue and also happens to be ideal for anyone yet to become immersed in Rankin’s intertextual referencing looniverse.

Want to see Rankin strut his stuff on the stage? Then you need to join us for The SFX Weekender 2, which returns to Camber Sands holiday camp in East Sussex on Friday 4th February and Saturday 5th February 2011, with our pre-party on Thursday 3rd February for the early birds. VIP tickets are already sold out, and tickets for the pre-party are going fast, but there are still other options available. Make sure you get yours before it’s too late! Book now by calling 08700 11 00 34, or head to www.sfxweekender.com/tickets for more information.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Aaaha, they're back frown

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Does this have something to do with science?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
It's the Sci-Fi section, Bill. Anything goes, so long as it's about fiction and is related, however tenuously, to science.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I've been in Essex (UK) for over 40 years, and I am just getting the hang of the language. I can now say things like, "Cor! Wottamuppit, ahd I cumptermissat?" Seems quite appropriate here.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Well, wodja know? I'm from Essex too. Have you got the hang of all those lingos north of the Watford gap? I haven't. I guessed the pump attendant was talking about the weather by the way he looked at the sky. Although I suppose that could have been something to do with me having mislaid my wallet.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I originate from Cornwall, and I still have problems with anything north or east of Launceston. They'm all vorreners.

There never was nothing.
M
mrmilk
Unregistered
mrmilk
Unregistered
M
Mmm```nice

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Mmm```nice

you lost me, must be the language thing. smile

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.