Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35620 07/27/10 02:33 PM
R
RayBlais
Unregistered
RayBlais
Unregistered
R
What if every unique life form, every variation of plant, insects and animals all have a unique collective consciousness that resides within our physical world and as single long cell within the membrane of dark matter that does not conform to our law of physics. From this membrane the collective consciousness creates mass (Higgs field) and drives evolution among many other things. Each individual’s consciousness would be like one atom within the human being collective consciousness cell.

This would explain many things like; the way ants and bees function as well as, in some unique situations, our mind can be aware outside of our physical being

Last edited by RayBlais; 07/27/10 03:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
I
I
Originally Posted By: RayBlais
This would explain many things like; the way ants and bees function as well as our mind’s ability to function apart from our physical being.

I fail to see how your hypothesis would explain any of these things. Higgs particles (if they exist) simply provide mass; any postulates about a role beyond that are both unsubstantiated and also beyond what physics expects of the higgs boson.

For that matter, I fail to see how consciousness, regardless of where it is stored, has anything to do with hive behavior, or the functioning of our mind, or evolution. Evolution is a process that is "directed" by natural forces and statistics - i.e. selection and drift. No need for consciousness in order to have evolution. To the contrary, evolution is full of examples that would run counter to the idea of having a consciousness guiding the process.

Likewise, the behavior of colonial insects is (at a per-insect level) quite simple. The more complex behavior of the colony is simply an emergent property of having multiple simple organisms interacting with each other using simple, set rules (wikipedia has an excellent article on emergent properties, if you're curious).

As for human consciousness, it exists in our minds; as demonstrated by how it can be lost/damaged when the brain is damaged, or in the case of mutations/diseases which impair brain function. No need for magical fields to store it - neurons are sufficient.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
That's very much like the Gaia theory isn't it?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.