Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I think all we really need is the ones that the bush administration removed.

and I think they need to re-evaluate their emergency responce
systems.

sure pumping oil at this depth can be safe but only if nothing
goes wrong as has been proven.

the Obama Administration as you mentioned didnt remove restrictions or place restrictions as far as I have heard of , before the incident that is , now he has restricted any deep oil drilling.

until they can come up with a better safer way to prevent oil spills at this or similar depths.

look how long the rov's have been down there.
if there was just a simple valve below the BOP then a rov
could have closed the valve the same day.

in the future a manual valve should be there so that a
rov can manualy close the valve.
that is if a oil rig doesnt land on top of the BOP !!!
which is another problem that needs to be addressed.

or upgrade existing BOP's with a manual valve system.

Quote:

Sounds like the problem's fixing/fixed itself then. Cool. Maybe if this next trick fails they can just leave it. Gas doesn't hurt anyone out there in the sea.

IF the gas stops , then the oil will not come out unless the heavier water drains into the well , pushing the oil up slowly
but considering the temperature at the sea floor , probably never would actually come out of the pipe.

the crude would have too great a viscocity and would get stuck in the pipe.

there is the possibility that the sea floor could break up as
the presures decrease , thereby releasing all of the methane at once.

that is the really scarry part , do we even know the volume of methane we are speaking about?

however methane is one of the worst gasses that cause climate change.

methane naturally seeps up from the sea floorand from lakes and ponds , so the effect of methane on sea life is negligible.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Yea good point about the oil coming out eventually. I suppose as long as the hole doesn't get blocked by something solid it'll eventually ooze out no matter how viscous. That's the nature of liquids, they just keep on flowing. But at least with the pressure of the gas all gone then any old thing dropped over the opening would just sit there and block it.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
So right.

I think theres about 4 miles of draw pipe still left in the well
cassing , and if the crude ever did ooze its way all the way up a big heavy one of these would stop it from comming out.

not much pressure differential there.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
below is a link to live feeds from the all the below rov's

Live feeds from Ocean Intervention III

ROV 1
ROV 2

Live feeds from Viking Poseidon

ROV 1
ROV 2

Live feeds from Boa Deep C

ROV 1
ROV 2

Live feeds from Skandi

ROV 1
ROV 2

Live feeds from Enterprise

ROV 1
ROV 2

Live feeds from Q4000

ROV 1
ROV 2

http://newsblogged.com/video-live-streaming-gulf-oil-spill-cam-bp-webcam

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
I've discovered that public concern for this whole Gulf oil spill is just another example of narrow minded American arrogance, with total disregard for the environment and people's lives...

"Shell admitted to spilling 14,000 tonnes of oil in 2009"

"more oil is spilled .. every year than has been lost in the Gulf of Mexico catastrophe."

"there were more than 7000 spills between 1970 and 2000, and there are 2000 official major spillage sites, many going back for decades, with thousands of smaller ones still waiting to be cleared up."

"More than 1000 oil spill cases have been filed against Shell."

"On May 1 this year a ruptured ExxonMobil pipeline ... spilled more than a million gallons ... over seven days before the leak was stopped."

"Life expectancy in its rural communities, half of which have no access to clean water, has fallen to little more than 40 years over the past two generations."

All of these quotes refer to a single small country - Nigeria.

Here's what local leaders have said:

"This is where we fished and farmed. We have lost out forest. We told Shell of the spill within days, but they did nothing for six months."

"We see frantic efforts being made to stop the spill in the US, but in Nigeria oil companies largely ignore their spills, cover them up and destroy people's livelihood and environments."

"Oil companies do not value our life; they want us to all die."

Think about that next time you consider going to Shell or Mobil to fill up your car in protest against BP.

Or better yet, don't fill up your car -

"the Niger delta supplies 40% of all the crude the United States imports"

I
I
Originally Posted By: kallog
I've discovered that public concern for this whole Gulf oil spill is just another example of narrow minded American arrogance, with total disregard for the environment and people's lives...

As a non-American, I think you're being unfair to Americans - Nigeria provides oil to other countries as well, and yet none of them are concerned with these issues either.

What we have here is basic human nature plus a bit-o-greed. People are not proactive - we don't like to think of the possible consequences of our actions, and we like even less to plan for the eventualities.

This fundamental deficit leads to spills like those in Nigeria, or in the gulf - don't plan ahead, do everything to maximize immediate returns, and then we get stuck with our pants down when something goes wrong.

The second half is greed - most major oil companies are shareholder owned. As such they are bound (legally in some countries) to maximize the returns to their shareholders. Any corner that can be cut to save a few bucks will be cut. Anything that can maximize profits in the short term will be done - even if that action carries a potential future cost of billions. After all, its all about making this quarter as good as possible; making this years dividend as big as possible. Next decade - even next year - is an after thought at best.

And as much as we like to blame companies for their indiscretions, we're the ones to blame. Own stocks in an oil company? Do you have a managed mutual fund or retirement plan? Do you own a car, or burn some form of hydrocarbon in your home? Do you whine when gas prices go up?

If you answered yes to any of the above, you are part of the problem - driving demand, asking for profits, demanding low prices. In trying to achieve those things for their customers and shareholders, companies are drawn to the kinds of sloppy practices we've seen in the gulf and elsewhere.

I'm not pointing fingers here - I'm just as much at fault as anyone. But until we either start planning for a future, or start putting the environment and peoples health ahead of cheap gas and large stock dividends, these things will keep on happening.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I think your wrong.

everything Kallog said in his post makes sence.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
I wasn't talking about the spills, but about the public reaction to them. People don't care what happens in other countries. BP's share price drop sends this message to oil companies: "You better not cause a spill in America, but you're more than welcome to wreck Nigeria". So guess which place they'll continue to wreck?

Nor does the public care about human tragedies. Somehow dead birds and lost business are more of a disaster than killing 11 workers in the explosion. A million birds are worth less than a single human life.

Quote:

indiscretions, we're the ones to blame. Own stocks in an oil company? Do you have a managed mutual fund or retirement plan? Do you own a car, or burn some form of

Haha yea that's excellent. People say "big evil oil companies" but who actually owns them? Who's enjoying the profits? It's not one fat man with a top-hat and cigar, it's ourselves!!!

Last edited by kallog; 06/10/10 05:25 AM.
K
kaipi
Unregistered
kaipi
Unregistered
K
Seems to be that they fit the mistake?! The outcomes will principal observably in the next decades... Noticed that there's hurrican this time and that they can't workat the moment...

Last edited by kaipi; 07/22/10 03:37 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.