Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
I
Originally Posted By: kallog

OK. So hey here's a way round it. Drive over the field recording everything. Then go home and analyse it at your leisure over days/weeks. Hopefully the plants are still where you left them when you go back to kill them.

I don't think that'll fly - weeds grow fast (other wise they wouldn't be weeds), and you usually want to get them early in the growing season so they don't crowd out your crops.

Besides, if you're going to spend time doing what you propose, it would probably be faster to just walk the field and pull weeds. And since human labour is expensive, faster = cheaper; plus no robots are computers are needed...

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
I also work designing processor intensive software, so I'm aware of the limitations of computers. And I've done weeding on farms - distinguishing Italian ryegrass from perennial ryegrass for example. That's why this whole robot idea excites me.

if you know its comming , then you could start it.

if its something you like , then its not really work.

you seem to know how its done and the web based application
you mentioned would be a great idea as the cloud could perform the computations.

every farmer could allow a percentage of there processing capabilities to be used by the cloud , and you can build
the cloud yourself in an application that is downloaded and installed on the farmers computers.

there is probably plenty of funding available for something as this.

try the go big network , and remember that Microsoft has the biz spark program where you have access to every program that Microsoft sells.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
I
I
Originally Posted By: paul
try the go big network , and remember that Microsoft has the biz spark program where you have access to every program that Microsoft sells.

I don't think farmers want to ctrl-alt-del their robots every 1-2 hours shocked

Bryan

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
If it works - great (spectral analysis is pretty cheap, and fairly light in terms of the computing power needed). But as your article states, even among the real experts that method is debatable. I imagine (having no knowledge of their field) that their issues are the same as the ones I brought up - variation in the same species, limited variability among species, and the fact that many weed species are the wild variants of the crop.

Quite possibly. There's only so much useful speculation to be done here regarding detection. But apart from the detection issue, there are other problems. These little guys would need to be capable of rapidly traversing soft and uneven terrain, and of killing weeds by some as yet undetermined method. They would also need a sufficient power source. Some people, sometime - my guess is quite a few years from now - may do the R & D and iron out the wrinkles using a series of prototypes. For the time being, this critter looks very bulky and prohibitively expensive; but I can see it coming. It's an idea too good to ignore.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: paul

if you know its comming , then you could start it.

if its something you like , then its not really work.

Haha yea except a couple of important hurdles:
- I don't know it's coming, I just hope and try to reason that it must be.
- I don't have any business sense.
- I don't have a clue about image recognition.
- What I already do is so fun it's hardly work either smile

Yea this cloud thing might be ideal for it!! As long as the algorithms can be paralleled then you could bang out a field as fast as you like, or even in real time no matter how CPU intensive they are.

I
I
Originally Posted By: redewenur
There's only so much useful speculation to be done here regarding detection. But apart from the detection issue, there are other problems. These little guys would need to be capable of rapidly traversing soft and uneven terrain, and of killing weeds by some as yet undetermined method. They would also need a sufficient power source.

Exactly - if it were easy and affordable, it would have been done already. We've seen some gigantic leaps forward in a lot of technical areas of the past decades, and with time robots like this will be made with cheap, off-the-shelf-hardware.

Today, unfortunately, they are not.

Bryan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.