Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Yea even less. But it's still cool. I used to make those balloons and ignite them with a burning stick. Fun :P

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
here are 2 tricks or mods that could be used when your goal is making a 100% HHO gen set.

one of the tricks to making a 100% HHO gen set would be in using a vacume.

when a vacume is placed on a HHO generator cell the cell produces much more HHO than it will at normal atmospheric pressures.

like boiling water at 20,000 ft the water boils away in a very short time but the water never really gets hot.

those who are running their cars on HHO use the vacume from the carberator to increase HHO production.

another would be in using a 4 stroke engine and making it a 2 stroke engine by eliminating the intake and compression strokes and using an injector system to deliver the HHO mixture to the cylinder.

you would also need to make a new distributor system that would fire the spark plug every time the piston gets just below TDC after the injectors have injected the HHO mixture into the cylinder.

this along with a vacume pump on the HHO generator might just bring HHO engines into play in the near future.
granted you most likely wont be able to just get one in your new car , I believe you might be able to buy a new car without the engine and the savings on the engine and fuel tank and all the associated equipment might pay for the HHO engine.

and then again there are more simpler ways to use HHO that I never hear about.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
You can't generate hydrogen onboard! You need more power to do that than what you get out of it. If you could it'd just be a perpetual motion machine :P

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
LOL... welcome to 2010

heres a Ford F150 V8 running on HHO ONLY, yes only.

now if this engine can run on HHO only I know a 10 kW generator could be sitting behind the engine instead of a ford F150 !!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2238805429946487167#

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
Megastar
I'd rather run my truck on gasoline or electricity, either of which can be made from the "woodgas" produced from solar distillation of wood or any other waste biomass.

That's how we should be recycling our wastes....

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Yea of course you can run a 10kW generator off HHO. But it can't create enough gas to run the engine driving it. It can't even create enough gas to compensate for the power it took from the engine.

I once saw somebody on the news who'd made such a thing from a plastic bottle and a pipe. He plugged it into his car's alternator and fed the gas into the air intake. The silly reporters took it seriously, but that was 2 years ago and I never heard any more about it.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
solar distillation of biomass? That sounds cool! Do you need a solar concentrator or something? I thought it required pretty high temperatures to get the gas out. I'd rather just light a fire :P

I suspect biomass isn't a viable large scale energy source because it grows so slowly. Ultimately it's powered by the sun. But it would certainly be great in the short term.

Go nuclear fusion! If they can get that finished it really could be water power, the end of all energy problems.

Megastar
Megastar

That sounds like a distribution problem. Gosh, we'd need trainloads of biomass criss-crossing the country, I guess.

Sort of like the trainloads of coal that now criss-cross the country. Maybe we could replace those with these biomass trains.

...and you don't need such gigantic equipment --as coal requires-- to collect biomass.
...or to process biomass....

Originally Posted By: googled: Sundrop

http://www.inhabitat.com/2010/03/10/sundrop-fuels-uses-concentrated-solar-heat-to-vaporize-biomass/

Sundrop’s process works using a network of solar mirrors that point sunlight to a gasifying unit. The unit heats up ceramic tubes to 1,200 to 1,300 degrees C–hot enough to vaporize any biomass and turn it into synthetic gas. Since the unit operates at such a high temperature, it doesn’t leave behind nasty tar like conventional systems. And while other gasification units require biomass for heating, the Sundrop system relies solely on solar power–so all of Sundrop’s biomass can go directly towards manufacturing syngas.

Does fusion help reverse CO2 build-up, solve peak nitrogen and phosphorous problems, or clean the water --as biorecycling does?
We need to manage the carbon and nitrogen cycles here on Earth if we want to maintain sustainability. The soil, and biomass, are key to managing those cycles wisely (and controlling atmospheric CO2 levels as a side benefit).

Fusion is great for cheap energy, but how many jobs does it create?
Biomass collection, processing, and distribution would create many more accessible jobs (and as many high-tech jobs as fusion research currently creates).

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Kallog

I suppose your saying that the HHO is being produced by the already charged battery and this would not be sustainable.

but the 5.5 H.P. engine was not connected to a battery and I suppose that the 5.5 H.P. engine would be capable of powering a 3kW generator that the browns gas machine could be plugged into and if this closed loop would run without any external energy then you would be convinced given there was additional energy left over from the generator.

otherwise it would just be a perpetual toy.

I still think that because gasoline has a 44 MJ/kg vs hydrogens 140 MJ/kg energy content that these guys are onto something if they use 2 stroke engines and injectors.

my points on this are

the power stroke of a gasoline 4 stroke engine
is all the power it can supply untl the next power stroke.

it is followed by the exhaust stroke which has to pump the exhaust gasses out through the exhaust system.

it then has to pull fuel into the cylinder on the intake stroke.

and after all that energy has been wasted the next stroke just about drains all the energy thats left , the compression stroke where allthe gas and air mixture is compressed into about 1/100 th its original volume inside the cylinder.
some of the energy goes to air compressors alternators etc...
then the remainder of the remaining energy goes to the cars drive train.

a 2 stroke engine would be better because

there would be a power stroke and a exhaust stroke and thats all.

and no energy wasted on drawing fuel into the cylinders and no energy wasted compressing the gas and air mixture in the cylinder.

so the 4 stroke engine itself is a waste of energy. LOL

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
But don't you have to wait for the biomass to grow? You can get coal as fast as you need it. Maybe we'll have farms of biomass plants that cause another food price crisis like we had a couple of years ago, with the - oh wait the biofuel fad!

It also can't take CO2 out of the atmosphere because the gas it generates carries that carbon out the exhaust when it's burnt.

Jobs is a bad thing, not a good thing. If we have a power source that needs less labour then it's good for everyone! Those people can spend their time doing some other productive work.

Tho don't get me wrong, I do like the idea!

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
A 4-stroke engine is less efficient than 2-stroke with compressed gas running it? But to get that compressed gas you have to put energy into it, so no gain. Why not just compress the petrol/air in a car and do it with a 4-stroke? Then you get all the extra efficiency and reliability of a 4-stroke.

If you can make a self-sustaining engine that uses no fuel (except perhaps water), then you've got yourself a guaranteed Nobel prize along with becoming the most important person in human history. But I suppose you don't want to help the world by doing it. Hehe either that or you know it won't work :P

If you connect a 5.5HP engine to a 3kW generator, the generator will generate less than 3kW of HHO. So putting that gas back into the engine makes it a less-than-3kW engine, no longer able to run the generator.

Last edited by kallog; 04/05/10 06:10 AM.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Kallog

Quote:
A 4-stroke engine is less efficient than 2-stroke with compressed gas running it? But to get that compressed gas you have to put energy into it, so no gain. Why not just compress the petrol/air in a car and do it with a 4-stroke? Then you get all the extra efficiency and reliability of a 4-stroke.

since hydrogen gas has more explosive power in it per unit than gasoline ( apx 3 times that of gasoline ) the
amount of compression needed would be less if any.

how is it that you calculated the "so no gain " I am curious or did you just think that there would be no gain.

as for any extra efficency or reliability of a 4 stroke I cant see where the additional strokes of a 4 stroke engine could possibly add efficiency or reliability.
In my opinion the less work an engine has to do before the torque reaches the shaft the more efficient and reliable.

Quote:
If you can make a self-sustaining engine that uses no fuel (except perhaps water), then you've got yourself a guaranteed Nobel prize along with becoming the most important person in human history. But I suppose you don't want to help the world by doing it. Hehe either that or you know it won't work :P

Oh really !!! LOL thats both funny and sad.

Quote:
If you connect a 5.5HP engine to a 3kW generator, the generator will generate less than 3kW of HHO. So putting that gas back into the engine makes it a less-than-3kW engine, no longer able to run the generator.

I would like to see your calculations of how you decided that a 3kW generator cannot produce enough hydrogen to run a 5.5 H.P. engine.

at the below link there is a 2000 watt browns gas machine
that produces 10 lpm , I dont know the wattage of the welder used in the video of the 5.5 H.P. engine running on a balloon filled with 2 psi HHO but Im sure its less than 2000 watts probably more like 800 watts.

http://www.brownsgas.com/browns_gas_ecoenergy_hho_e3_generator_heating.html

but still I would like to see something other than
you just saying something wont work.
I could just say that your wrong but you have the opportunity to support your claims.

in support of my belief that this would work I show an additional energy output of at least 1000 watts
because 3000 watts - 2000 watts = 1000 watts

but maybe in your disbelieving world 3000 watts is only 2000 watts.

or it may be that you just didnt bother to calculate anything beause you have some engineering background.

and that background tells you its not possible even if it is. LOL

I just found this about people who are making water only generators , so either you are right and they are all wrong or they are all right.

http://pesn.com/2009/12/22/9501597_Watercar_electric_generators_on_hydroxy_water/

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: paul

how is it that you calculated the "so no gain " I am curious or did you just think that there would be no gain.

Hehe I just said it :P But not without reason:

You said the intake and compression strokes of a 4-stroke wasted power. I agree they use power. If you avoid these by compressing the gas before it enters the engine then the compressor that originally compressed the gas was doing those intake and compressions strokes itself, and it used power for that.

Quote:

cant see where the additional strokes of a 4 stroke engine could possibly add efficiency or reliability.

Isn't it proved by their use in cars? Even lawnmowers are going 4-stroke now. Why else besides those two reasons?

Quote:

I would like to see your calculations of how you decided that a 3kW generator cannot produce enough hydrogen to run a 5.5 H.P. engine.

Well first of all I confused kW with HP, but they're not far different so I hope that doesn't matter.

My calculation is:
Output power = Input power * efficiency
efficiency < 1
If input power is 3kW then output power is < 3kW
This applies regardless of the energy form: electric, mechanical, HHO chemical energy, or potential energy of compressed gas.

Input power = 2000J/s
Output power = 10lpm * 9e-5kg/l * 140MJ/kg
= 2100W
Efficiency = 2100/2000 = 105% so there's a mistake somewhere. I only used density of H2, but I suppose HHO has higher density making it even more wrong.

The guy used a no-fuel generator for 2 1/2 years, but in a fit of madness he 'upgraded' to a 15% diesel one to get more power?!?!! Why not just use a bigger no-fuel generator and save 100% of that diesel bill?

But yes, I'm right and they're all wrong. :P

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
But yes, I'm right and they're all wrong. :P

I see where your mistake begins.

you assume that the input power is 3kW
1 H.P. = 0.745 kW
5.5 H.P. = 4.09 kW

Quote:
Michael Faraday was an exceptional and highly respected researcher who investigated the electric current needed to convert water into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas by electrolysis. His results are accepted by pretty much every scientist everywhere. While he expressed the results of his work in terms which would be meaningless to the average person, his result is that an electrical input of 2.34 watts produces one litre of hydroxy gas in one hour.

In practical terms, that means that a current of 0.195 amps at 12 volts will produce 1 litre of hydroxy gas in one hour. In passing, only a nearly discharged lead-acid battery would have a voltage of 12 volts as the fully charged state is 12.85 volts and a vehicle alternator produces about 14 volts in order to charge the battery.

It is easier then, to compare the gas output of electrolysers directly to the figures produced by Faraday as shown here, based on a gas output of 15 litres per minute which is 900 litres per hour:

Faraday: 900 litres in one hour, takes 2,106 watts or 100% Faraday
Boyce: 900 litres in one hour, takes 998 watts or 211% Faraday without pulsing
Boyce: 900 litres in one hour, takes 180 watts or 1,170% Faraday with pulsing
Cramton: 900 litres in one hour, takes 90 watts or 2,340% Faraday

I presume that the people who are making the browns gas machines are not getting 100% faraday , but that still leaves us with who or what you believe to be true.

the above 900 litres an hour represents a 100% faraday conversion of liquid water into HHO gas , which uses
2,106 watts , the 600 lph machine must have other electrical equipment that the 2000 watt input power consumes.

still thats pretty close and gives an example of decissions based on gathered data vs decissions based on incorrect math or assumptions.

Quote:
You said the intake and compression strokes of a 4-stroke wasted power. I agree they use power. If you avoid these by compressing the gas before it enters the engine then the compressor that originally compressed the gas was doing those intake and compressions strokes itself, and it used power for that.

you dont need to apply a mechanical compression when the gas you are compressing is an explosive , you can simply use a small portion of the gas to compress te gas that enters the cylinder.

Quote:
The guy used a no-fuel generator for 2 1/2 years, but in a fit of madness he 'upgraded' to a 15% diesel one to get more power?!?!! Why not just use a bigger no-fuel generator and save 100% of that diesel bill?

I dont know , it doesnt make any sence to me either.
maybe it was the only engine he could afford a diesel engine works alot different than a gas engine , if
I were going to step up to a better power plant I would use a turbine , this way the wasted energy from constantly stopping the pistons and then accelerating them in the opposite direction would be removed from the picture.

but I suppose that will come later.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: paul

I see where your mistake begins.

you assume that the input power is 3kW
1 H.P. = 0.745 kW
5.5 H.P. = 4.09 kW

Yea but it doesn't affect the result. Just in case we're miscommunicating, this is it yea?:
Petrol motor with 4.09kW output power
It's shaft is connected to an electric generator with 3kW output power.
The electric output is connected to a HHO generator.
The HHO gas is piped into the motor without any petrol or other fuel.

You seem to be saying a 3kW HHO generator can produce more than 4.09kW of gas. This would be the revolutionary part, and the rest is conventional.

Quote:

Boyce: 900 litres in one hour, takes 180 watts or 1,170% Faraday with pulsing
Cramton: 900 litres in one hour, takes 90 watts or 2,340% Faraday

Who's Boyce and Cramton? I can't argue those figures because I don't know how much energy a litre of HHO contains. That's the crucial deciding piece of information. It would be much more useful than comparing to what some ancient authority said.

Quote:

maybe it was the only engine he could afford a diesel

You're forgetting something I mentioned previously and made a strange comment about:
Anybody who has a working perpetual motion machine will be RICHER THAN GOD!

Quote:

a turbine , this way the wasted energy from constantly stopping the pistons and then accelerating them in the opposite direction would be removed from the picture.

I don't mean to nit-pick, but that uses almost no energy. When a piston is stopped, its energy is transferred to the crankshaft, not just damped into nothing. However you're right that turbines are more efficient with high powers.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Kallog

sorry for the delay in answering your last reply.

Quote:
Just in case we're miscommunicating, this is it yea?:

we must be because if faraday can make 1 litre in 1 hour
using 2.34 watts in 1 hour that means that we could produce
15 litres in 1 hour using 35 watts.

Quote:
You seem to be saying a 3kW HHO generator can produce more than 4.09kW of gas. This would be the revolutionary part, and the rest is conventional.

and that also means that a 4.09 kW generator could produce
1,747 litres in 1 hour.

because the generator is constantly putting out 4,090 watts
and only 2.34 watts is required to make 1 litre.

unless you are saying that faraday was wrong.
then the above is correct.

and the engine that was running on HHO only only had apx 3 litres of HHO in the balloon.

and it was running for around a minute total on HHO
but the 1,747 liters an hour breaks down to 29 litres a minute.

I cant see how it couldnt work !!

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
OK, so it's like this:
Motor -> 4.09kW mechanical power ->
electric generator -> 4.09kW electric power ->
gas generator -> 4.09kW of gas (> 1747 l/hr) ->
motor.

We know a petrol motor has <30% efficiency, so one of the other components must have >100% efficiency. If you find that component, you can trade it in for a Nobel prize.

The engine in the video can't run a 3kW generator with that rate of gas usage. You could see it was idling very slowly and I think it stalled once or twice. Don't forget that if you put a load on the shaft, then even at the same RPM, it consumes fuel faster.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Kallog

Quote:
We know a petrol motor has <30% efficiency, so one of the other components must have >100% efficiency. If you find that component, you can trade it in for a Nobel prize.

from what I have read a petrol engine has apx 15% efficiency
by the time the torque meets the streets.

its not necessarily the components its the entire engine.
the problem is that a petrol engine is designed to use petrol
not the more explosive hydrogen gas.
although a petrol engine is for the most part a hydrogen engine itself that burns the hydrogen in hydro carbon fuels such as petrol or gasoline.

try fueling up a aircraft jet engine with gasoline.
try fueling up a diesel engine with gasoline.
better yet try to launch the space shuttle with gasoline.

the efficiency needs to be designed into the engine
when the first automobile engines were built they didnt run very well either.

but they were designed to burn petrol not hydrogen gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qudpRXZE3Yo

Quote:
The engine in the video can't run a 3kW generator with that rate of gas usage. You could see it was idling very slowly and I think it stalled once or twice. Don't forget that if you put a load on the shaft, then even at the same RPM, it consumes fuel faster.

yes I see , but there are still 26 litres remaining of the 29 that can be made from the 4kW engine.
the engine is using apx 3 litres per minute to idle so
it is consumming 7.02 watts of HHO.

it is probably ideling at apx 2000 rpm so if we were to increase its rpm to 4000 by doubling the amount of HHO gas it would probably be consumming apx 14 watts of HHO per minute.

so there is still 23 litres of HHO gas remaining to use
durring that minute to power the generator and produce more gas for the next minute.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
If your fuel contains more energy then the motor has to output more energy just to keep the same efficiency.

Sure you can probably redesign a petrol engine to be more efficient on hydrogen fuel, but it's still much less than 100%. And you need _more_ than 100% efficiency somewhere in the system.

I'm sure you don't believe what you're saying because if you did, you'd be foolish not to give up everything you own to invest in this. Which isn't really hard, just maybe $1000 for the bits, and bingo! Remember this isn't just another gadget, this would turn all of physics and economics on its head. It would revolutionize the world overnight.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Sure you can probably redesign a petrol engine to be more efficient on hydrogen fuel, but it's still much less than 100%. And you need _more_ than 100% efficiency somewhere in the system.

I think that the design is the key here.
suppose I wanted to design a boiler to quickly boil water and the end result I want to achieve was not hot steam but to just
quickly boil off water.

all I would need to do is apply a small vacume to the boiler above the water.

the temperature needed to boil the water off would be much lower
and likewise the water temperature in the boiler would never get very hot.

this is the way that those that are working with the 100% HHO engines are doing it , they use the carberator vacume to create a low pressure inside the hydrogen generator or water seperator.
and this causes the gasses to be seperated using LESS ENERGY just like the above boiler that boils off more water with less heat applied.
the end result that they are loking for is not a hot gas but just the HHO gases to use as fuel to burn in the cylinder.

I have thought of building a HHO engine but I am still figuring out all of the different efficientcies that can be built into it as I am not designing an engine that runs on a product but one that runs on water alone.

with a little salt or some other additive to increase the conductiveness of the water that only needs to be added once to the system and not to the fuel.

Quote:
I'm sure you don't believe what you're saying

I dont know how you picked that up , but you seem to be so sure of many other things , I dont believe as a belief that it will work , I believe it will work as I believe that 1 + 2 = 3

Quote:
this would turn all of physics and economics on its head. It would revolutionize the world overnight

physics wouldnt be turned on its head it would only begin to teach its students proper physics.

as far as economics is concerned I suppose that thats how the horse feed compaines felt when the horseless carriage came into the picture and how the coal companies felt when nuclear power came into play.

tell me how do you physically explain our universe using physics.

using your energy out = < energy in method ?

I know you dont want to visualize this but heres a
small turbine running off of hydrogen built at a place of higher learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKrtstz4fI

nobody seems to be exploring the use of HHO in water displacement.

how about a water wheel that gets its water displaced at the bottom ( under the water ) by HHO , then the buoyancy of the HHO could be converted into electricity

Im sure that if there is a problem or a need to have more electricity to use to generate the HHO the additional energy could be had this way.

after the HHO has performed work on the wheel it is still HHO so now the energy out = < energy in equation
is energy out = > energy in

900 litres of displaced water at 100 ft depth would probably get all or more of your (energy in ) back before you begin the (energy out) process.

now wheres my nobel prize?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.