Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33593 03/10/10 06:31 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

The actual wording is:-
"Matrix turns opaque materials transparent"

As stated on our front page today, 10March 2010, and put there by our very own Scienceagogo Editor, Kate Melville.

First thoughts are, what an amazing idea. An idea with almost unlimited practical use? But is it?
Upon reflection, I expect this will end up as a laboratory curiosity, with no practical use?

Since the scientific method as to how this might be achieved, must depend upon both Optics and Computing power.

I am only guessing as to how one might detect a hidden item, behind an opaque film.
For film it must be, and no thicker than a film or sheet of paper. Why? Because the optical system would have to both mark the (narrow) beam of light input, and mark the same beams exits from the other side!
Since there would be a huge loss in reflection and transmission, with the now weaker beam exiting in more than one place. A lot of computing power would be required to note the beams input and outputs.
To build up the outputs (from as many beams as would be) required to view the hidden object, on a screen, could take some time to build up, and take a lot of computing power.
It would be a Lab: curiosity because on would have to interpose screen between the 'hidden' object and the opaque sheet of paper, that would note the light beam position, relative to its input?
Prehaps it might be a single scanning beam, where the output was built up from the reflections of the hidden object?
But what ever method was used.... I think it would require the film/paper etc to be absolutely still and stable.
To ensure a quick and repeatable picture.

To detect the shape of an object using light, does seem much more difficult than bouncing high frequency sound, or radar waves, back from the object.
Except of course when using light beams, plus 'puter power, the object should be seen very clearly.
I suppose research scientists will continue to get paid, for producing impractical ideas, hoping for the motherload.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
Upon reflection, I expect this will end up as a laboratory curiosity, with no practical use?

People once said the same about the laser, Mike.

From what I can gather, future technology will be highly dependent upon nanotechnology, and this new trick may lead to high quality nano-scale lenses constructed from opaque materials (currently, it's proving difficult to make such tiny lenses from transparent materials). Maybe they will be used in nanobot eyes...Imagine, for example, a swarm of nanobots injected into the body to serve as superior granulocytes, while a doctor monitors and guides the proceedings with a computer. Sci-Fi? Not for long, I suspect.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
It may also have artistic applications such as graphics, patterns and designs.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
haha it seems like that's not so much science as somebody playing with matlab and applying a transformation matrix to an image.

I'm sure you could just use a normal camera, or perhaps a plenoptic one if they need to pick up light going off in all directions. Solving a matrix with 60,000 elements can be done a fraction of second on a PC.

You could also do secret messages. If you glue an image to the back of the opaque material, then only the person who's had it in the unglued state can generate the transformation matrix and reconstruct the image.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.